Buyer Beware!! Fake Domino on the Bay

Stig: that "Thanks and God Bless!" is a giveaway. I have a stack of about 30($75 each) bad checks from a "reverend" who, of course, disappeared as soon as I had done the work for him.

What can Spyderco and/or knife nuts do to try to stop this?

It makes Spyderco look bad. It makes every last one of us look bad. It threatens the future of the hobby as it can easily ruin the experience for honest people who do not know any better. And in recent time, fakes have gotten to a point where telling can be very difficult.

This was such a big issue for Rolex that they started putting parts in their watches specifically to help them be identified as cosmetic. That isn't possible here for obvious reasons!

Maybe a combination of stuff like...?
-Individual serial numbers that can be verified?
-Working with eBay to better eBay to stop this before people get screwed?
-Videos from Sal on how to identify/verify authenticity?
-Information on the website to show why buying from an AD is important?
-Watermark or stitch on a box or card to show this came from the factory?
-Markings on the inside of the knife or minor changes that can be used to identify which model was made when?
-RFID/SIM chips
-Engravings on the blade down from the inside with changing characters so it can be verified but not copied and matched?

When any of you say you have reported a fake/counterfeit, how do you do that so eBay does something. I have reported fakes, and pointed out the facts that show they are fakes on the face of the listing, but eBay tells me only the "owner" of the brand can report a fake.

When any of you say you have reported a fake/counterfeit, how do you do that so eBay does something. I have reported fakes, and pointed out the facts that show they are fakes on the face of the listing, but eBay tells me only the "owner" of the brand can report a fake.

Yes, that is the way it works. We cannot do anything with Ebay directly because there have been shady guys reporting real products as fakes to try and steal business from good sellers by eliminating them. Ebay will not and probably realistically cannot become experts on everything being sold. If Spyderco comes to them with fakes being sold, they will listen (presumably anyway).

What can Spyderco and/or knife nuts do to try to stop this?

It makes Spyderco look bad. It makes every last one of us look bad. It threatens the future of the hobby as it can easily ruin the experience for honest people who do not know any better. And in recent time, fakes have gotten to a point where telling can be very difficult.

This was such a big issue for Rolex that they started putting parts in their watches specifically to help them be identified as cosmetic. That isn't possible here for obvious reasons!

Maybe a combination of stuff like...?
-Individual serial numbers that can be verified?
-Working with eBay to better eBay to stop this before people get screwed?
-Videos from Sal on how to identify/verify authenticity?
-Information on the website to show why buying from an AD is important?
-Watermark or stitch on a box or card to show this came from the factory?
-Markings on the inside of the knife or minor changes that can be used to identify which model was made when?
-RFID/SIM chips
-Engravings on the blade down from the inside with changing characters so it can be verified but not copied and matched?

I am against anything that increases cost but giving people educational tools I am all for. Doing 2 things will drastically reduce your chance of having an issue... 1 buyer beware, the Internet is not new. People need to learn to research things before buying. 2 buy from a authorized dealer, sometimes piece of mind costs a bit more.

Ironically after years of buying and selling online the first time I was ever mislead was on this site. It's shitty but not worth throwing fit over. Nobody twisted my arm to purchase something.

Back