Buying American - I must confess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eljay2

Gold Member
I didn’t grow up in a family that put a huge emphasis on keeping business in the US. Certainly we did enjoy supporting local businesses and the local community, but we weren’t the kind of family that insisted on buying Chevy or Ford.

As i got older, and after learning more about how America companies were impacted by overseas manufacturing I started to feel a little more obligation to “buy American” when possible. There were a number of US companies that became favorites of mine in different categories (I won’t mention them here as I don’t want to start a comparative debate about the merits of my personal perspectives on companies outside of the knife industry). Sadly, though, I have watched virtually every one of them water down their products, scale back warranties and even outsource customer service to companies overseas.

As far as I can tell, Benchmade has resisted doing this. While it would certainly disappoint me, I wouldn’t be totally surprised if Benchmade did make one of these moves to conform to the example set by so many other companies, but I can only hope that they stay strong.

In my personal opinion, Benchmade is truly a great American company, and I want to support it by buying their products. I respectfully disagree with people who inaccurately portray them as anti Second Amendment. I also believe that 99.9% of their customers don’t care even slightly about blades that are a hair off center, or a grind that is slightly off. Sure, there are real issues, and Benchmade makes them right virtually every time (every time that I know about).

I personally believe that it would be nearly impossible to grow to around 400 employees and have every knife leave the factory in Blade Forums approved condition. I do, however, believe that their quality is damn good and I truly hope that they don’t diminish the high level of service that they offer to all customers (aside from a few, most of whom I think are hard to please).

In any case, I appreciate that Benchmade represents a great American success story. They may not be perfect, but they try hard to be, and that’s all I can ask for.

I didn’t grow up in a family that put a huge emphasis on keeping business in the US. Certainly we did enjoy supporting local businesses and the local community, but we weren’t the kind of family that insisted on buying Chevy or Ford.

As i got older, and after learning more about how America companies were impacted by overseas manufacturing I started to feel a little more obligation to “buy American” when possible. There were a number of US companies that became favorites of mine in different categories (I won’t mention them here as I don’t want to start a comparative debate about the merits of my personal perspectives on companies outside of the knife industry). Sadly, though, I have watched virtually every one of them water down their products, scale back warranties and even outsource customer service to companies overseas.

As far as I can tell, Benchmade has resisted doing this. While it would certainly disappoint me, I wouldn’t be totally surprised if Benchmade did make one of these moves to conform to the example set by so many other companies, but I can only hope that they stay strong.

In my personal opinion, Benchmade is truly a great American company, and I want to support it by buying their products. I respectfully disagree with people who inaccurately portray them as anti Second Amendment. I also believe that 99.9% of their customers don’t care even slightly about blades that are a hair off center, or a grind that is slightly off. Sure, there are real issues, and Benchmade makes them right virtually every time (every time that I know about).

I personally believe that it would be nearly impossible to grow to around 400 employees and have every knife leave the factory in Blade Forums approved condition. I do, however, believe that their quality is damn good and I truly hope that they don’t diminish the high level of service that they offer to all customers (aside from a few, most of whom I think are hard to please).

In any case, I appreciate that Benchmade represents a great American success story. They may not be perfect, but they try hard to be, and that’s all I can ask for.
Well I'm not American so buying American is neither here nor there, AFAIC. However, I do buy Benchmade (along with other manufacturers) and I don't give a damn if that offends some people or not.

Well I'm not American so buying American is neither here nor there, AFAIC. However, I do buy Benchmade (along with other manufacturers) and I don't give a damn if that offends some people or not.

Can’t argue with you. Everyone is entitled to his or her own perspective, of course.

They are anti 2A and have donated heavily to people on the left who would infringe on many of your other rights aside from firearms ownership. Add in the rolling dumpster fire which was their "apology" and I am done with them. The showed a total lack of respect for their customer base with the way they handled things, that alone would have been enough for me to write them off but with the political donations thrown in they are dead to me.

Better companies to spend your $$ with in my opinion.

They are anti 2A and have donated heavily to people on the left who would infringe on many of your other rights aside from firearms ownership. Add in the rolling dumpster fire which was their "apology" and I am done with them. The showed a total lack of respect for their customer base with the way they handled things, that alone would have been enough for me to write them off but with the political donations thrown in they are dead to me.

If you won’t buy from a company that supports any candidate on the left then, of course, that’s your right...case closed. To paint them as anti Second Amendment for making political donations on both sides is factually incorrect. I’m a huge supporter of the Second Amendment and have been my whole life. I grew up shooting with my dad and still love firearms. If Benchmade is truly against guns, please present concrete evidence.

Just buy from all countries. The other parts of the world have too many good offerings, escpecially China at the moment. I will never get the Only in America argument when you can buy from everywhere.

If i want a nice buck or benchmade, ill obviously buy from them. But if i want something a bit outrageous like a WE or Reate, where would i go in America to get something exactly like that WE i want?

And obviously ignore all of the BS about them being anti second amendment. Tons of companies donate to tons of people on both sides of the fence. Its all just part of the political machine.

Just buy from all countries. The other parts of the world have too many good offerings, escpecially China at the moment. I will never get the Only in America argument when you can buy from everywhere.

If i want a nice buck or benchmade, ill obviously buy from them. But if i want something a bit outrageous like a WE or Reate, where would i go in America to get something exactly like that WE i want?

And obviously ignore all of the BS about them being anti second amendment. Tons of companies donate to tons of people on both sides of the fence. Its all just part of the political machine.

1000% agree! Love WE and Reate. :) My point was just that it doesn’t make sense to me to bash Benchmade for reasons that are not based in fact.

All these folks saying "I'm done with Benchmade!!!!!!" Yet here they are on Benchmade subforum. Lol. I could care less what politician they support. It's their right. If they make a good knife that I like, I will gladly give them my money to own it. Just bought a vector and that knife is awesome. And yes, I own and carry firearms.

Buy whatever speaks to you. It’s your hard earned money your spending. I continue to buy Benchmade in spite of the “anti 2a” and donation stuff. I like their designs and their s30v. Nuff said.

Any hard evidence to prove this? I have quite a few Benchmades, but would also like to know my dollars do not support an anti 2a company.

Any hard evidence to prove this? I have quite a few Benchmades, but would also like to know my dollars do not support an anti 2a company.

You can dig around on this site, and come to your own conclusions: https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000047693&cycle=A

Although I don't know why they are contributing to a NM congressman, the lobbying efforts listed on opensecrets.org seemed to support pro-knife legislation. I'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion one way or another. However, I'll add that it's my understanding that BMKC states on their website that they don't contribute to political campaigns. This seems to be untrue.

You can dig around on this site, and come to your own conclusions: https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000047693&cycle=A

Although I don't know why they are contributing to a NM congressman, the lobbying efforts listed on opensecrets.org seemed to support pro-knife legislation. I'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion one way or another. However, I'll add that it's my understanding that BMKC states on their website that they don't contribute to political campaigns. This seems to be untrue.

There’s nothing whatsoever on that random website to indicate that Benchmade is anti Second Amendment. I know countless people who support candidates on the left but are pro gun. Please....

Benchmade had the gall to do something in support of their local law enforcement agency. On top of that they keep employees who are good at their jobs in spite of the fact they voted for or supported a candidate who wasn't in lock step with single issue 2A fanatics. The nerve!

The gun drama don't bother me.

The poor quality control, low hrc on 3v and m390/20cv does. The butterfly tax and excess map does. The gimmick knives they make do too. I've heard some bad stories of there support but I've heard similar stories from zt and spyderco. The new wave of hipsters running the place bothers me too.

Otherwise I don't mind them overall. But I don't buy anymore because i don't prefer the axis lock and every one I get has qc issues. Custom shop, gold class etc are not excluded from issues. My buddy has had some without which is good to see.

I have had very few issues with spyderco but I've seen enough that they are not secluded from qc issues. But that is my brand choice in USA made knives next to Chris Reeve. I do buy from all countries of origin as long as its good. But I would prefer a user that has slicing geometry, thin behind the edge and an optimal heat treatment. Prefer a framelock, liner lock or backlock.

Last edited:
I'm always concerned about getting a "good one" when I order a Benchmade, mainly from what I've read on forums. But, that last 3 or 4 I've had in hand have been top notch. Just received another 940 and it is the most perfect knife I've ever purchased. Grind, action, centering, all perfect.

We don't have to agree with everything a company does to buy their products. Benchmade is an all American company, no one can argue that fact.
The only thing keeping me from getting another is the new designs don't interest me. I have all the ones that I currently like. The anthem was the last one I purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back