1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 33 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 17 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Buying American - I must confess...

Discussion in 'Benchmade Knife Company' started by Eljay2, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Politics...this in wrong forum me thinks

2. Eljay2

Eljay2

Sep 25, 2018
    Then, please, don’t buy any more Benchmade knives if that’s what’ll make you happy. I can assure you that a Benchmade will not care to the slightest if you don’t buy their knives because they make occasional and relatively minuscule donations to candidates who you don’t see as perfect. I think I’m going to follow the previous poster who chose to ignore you.

orangejoe35, mylest and colin.p like this.
  3. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    I believe that this forum is a good place for customers to give feedback on what they like or don't like from the company. If a significant number of customers are giving their opinion on BMKC's actions, this is valid customer feedback whether you agree with them or not.

If BM sent a large number of knives out missing blades, I wouldn't expect the comments in this section to be "well then don't buy BM if you don't like it. BM could care less if you do."

Personally, I don't think that enough reputable information is available, particularly with the limited official communication from BM. However, it has stopped me from making occasional purchases over the last few months, where I would have picked up 5-7 more BM products. This, on top of the recent issue regarding investigating private sellers selling below MAP is leaving a sour taste for some of their long term customers.

mdrgn79 likes this.
  4. Eljay2

Eljay2

Sep 25, 2018
    Agree that missing blades wouldn’t be a good thing. I’m referring more to the right-wing extremist stuff. Saying that Benchmade isn’t pro-gun because of a few relatively meaningless grand in donations (perhaps to friends) is naive and politically ignorant.

marrenmiller and mylest like this.
  5. 357snubnose

357snubnose Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2013
    I find this much more distasteful than the gun cutting stuff.

Eljay2 likes this.
  6. Leftytwogunz

Leftytwogunz Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 30, 2013
    You probably paid $120 for $12 worth of materials made by Chinese slave labor. Go polish what you value.

mdrgn79 likes this.
  7. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    I imagine it is nice to be so privileged and well off that you can afford to not to have to ever buy any products made by unethical manufacturers. Most of us have to compromise a bit though.

8. GronK

GronK Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Nope. Mine are made in the worker's paradise of Vietnam and cost $25.

9. MyLegsAreOk

MyLegsAreOk Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Skipping all the politics in the rest of the forum I'll give my two cents on OP. Benchmade is a Filipino company so if they want to move all their plastic knives back to east asia fine but if they want to charge what they are currently for them they can kiss off. Quality aside BMs are given at what they are because they have a lot of overhead, good materials, good machines for milling, and adult employees. If they move to ching chong they'll pay kids in a sweatshop and it's up to you to buy from them or not. True enough I much rather buy from a civilized nation, makes me proud I spent my money the right way.

10. Eljay2

Eljay2

Sep 25, 2018
    They are a “Filipino company” because Mr. de Asis is of Filipino descent? Grow up.

11. Norcaldude

Dec 19, 2014
    Wow. It's rare to see such blatant racism here. Usually it's a bit more coded than that. Thanks for letting us know.

12. BITEME

BITEME Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2007
    You sound like Archie Bunker, whom I love btw,and of course that was 40 years ago o_O

13. BITEME

BITEME Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Yeah he should be axed permanently, preferably with a bsa plumb hatchet

14. Norcaldude

Dec 19, 2014
    I agree. Makes it embarrassing to even be associated with Blade Forums when people post stuff like that here.

15. mdrgn79

mdrgn79 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Tigers don't change their stripes. "They" just keep changing their name every fews years to distance themselves from whatever failed attempt their ideology created yet again.

16. Leftytwogunz

Apr 30, 2013
    I didn't think it would take long for the drama to show up. I didn't say no body ever bought a Chinese good etc...
    But maybe, if you're so obsessed with buying crap that you hoard a ton of garbage Chinese products just to feed your obsession, maybe you need to make some changes in your life. One of the side effects is being overly-dramatic in internet posts and virtue signaling.
    Don't be that ugly cat lady in a rainbow shirt that nobody wants to date plz.

mdrgn79 likes this.
  17. Norcaldude

Dec 19, 2014
    I bet if I were to search through your posts I'd find you engaging in some internet drama when it's something you feel strongly about, but you only consider it 'drama' when it's something you don't want to be bothered with.

I'm not sure what you mean now. You're walking back your previous comment and are ok with people buying stuff made in China? Or you just have a particular disregard for Nikes and are ok with other products that aren't made in America?

Tacked on a bit of oblique homophobia there too, I see. I think? It might be I'm just misunderstanding your idiosyncratic writing style.

18. Leftytwogunz

Apr 30, 2013
    Geez, how many things can one cat lady dream up to get offended by in one thread? Rhetorical question, please don't give us a paragraph on each. Besides, I'm not continuing in a long, drawn opportunity for you to virtue signal today. I don't want to be your pen pal. Go eat a steak or something, your high estrogen ratio is clearly being laid out in print.

KarlG and mdrgn79 like this.
  19. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Wrong in so many ways.
    Thread closed.

KarlG, orangejoe35 and Norcaldude like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.