"byrd" line of knives

Sal Glesser

There is a new knife line that is appearing in the marketplace. The tang stamp is "byrd".

After much thought and discussion. We have decided to create and produce a line of knives in China. It is evident that there is a market for the lower cost, lower priced knives and it is also obvious that these knives will capture a good sized percentage of the market simply because of price and in many cases, appearance.

The answer to the question, "What's goin' on?" is essentially that sal's playing around with a new line.

We did not feel that we could achieve the current Spyderco standard, (at least at this time) with a Chinese product, we didn't want to dilute the Spyderco reputation for quality and performance, so we decided to use a different brand name. The name we selected was "byrd" (TM).

We didn't feel that doing any kind of fanfare was proper, given it is a "new hatching" recently "born", and is not "deserving" of fanfare.

Will they be Spyderco quality? How can they be? We've been working with the same "expert" knifemakers for 20+ years. That type of quality is not "grown" overnight!

We'll have to find, meet and "grow up" a few good makers to meet standards that I believe we can get. We have the experience, the design capability, the testing equipment, lab and personnel to bring a safe, reliable, relatively good performing product to the market at a lower cost than our top line Spyderco products. What we bring to the table is honesty, trust, caring and skill.

That means there will be various "byrd" models being released into the market as we develop the line. The designs will be in-house, at least in the beginning. They will incorpoate our pocket clips and we've designed a "comet" shaped hole to (TM) the line's appearance. All of the models will use this hole opener shape, as Spyderco has used our round hole opener shape for the past 23 years.

The first is the "byrd" model "Harrier" (from the low flying hawk). The model is fairly robust. about 3.5" blade length. The blade is a clip with fair belly. mid-lock-back, stainless bolsters, green micarta scales. The blade steel in this model is Aichi (Japanese) made AUS-6. Catra tests indicate proper AUS-6 edge retention to be consistent with our data. The lock broke well into the heavy duty range (100 inch/lbs per inch). MSRP is $39.95. All in all, not a bad start.

1200 pieces were made. About like the original Clipit "worker" model with a 2 screw clip made in '81.

We don't plan large numbers. We are a small company and we don't want to "bend" Spyderco's way". The "byrd" line will have to grow under its own power.

My apologies for not saying anything sooner. We felt it necessary for our dealers and distributors to have them available before any public notice.

sal

Knifesite.com is selling the new Byrd model for $39.95. I'd would rather buy the Delica for $40 or the Endura for $45 and enjoy the VG10 steel and presumably better workmanship. My $0.02.

Hello Mr.Glesser,
this is really interesting! ;) Asia Rules ? :)

...I have had "hot" discussion, time ago (2004 January), at Benchmade forum, where i was asking, why brand firm, with good reputation (..its debatable now, by Blackwood and..okey, this is another case :) ) is producing new things "Made in Taiwan". I am speaking about their Red Line.

I can copy and paste, for fun, part of this discussion, where i was asking ::

"...BTW.---nice theme: Taiwan.
I saw pic on the internet, knife Benchmade Gamer, nice knife, but when i saw lettering Taiwan, it see, its suspicious ...

Can I ask please,if you can tell me, where is made this knife ? Because word "Taiwan" is very very anonymous, it can be garage or factory with 3000 employees ...

I dont know, but (its not my opinion only!) that word "Taiwan", its evocation of the junk, i can buy nice color beach slippers or towels or lights or many other taiwanese things for daily use,clothing and etc. OK- but something from brand firm ??! Hm, im in suspicion, why brand firm with excellent reputation PRODUCE something taiwanese ..

Price ? More profit, cheaper work ? TenThousandMilion pieces ?
Hm, perhaps.., but really need brand firm make cheap things Made in Taiwan, what will sell in Wallmart, gas stations, tobacco shops ??
I think, it destroy reputation.

When i buy Gamer and will come and i will meet someone, who have super 200usd Benchmade knife, i will say, i have SAME firm, like you, its same thing...
--"NO! You are wrong! Its not same thing!! I have better!!! quality!!"
--"Really ? And why you think so ??"
--"Because my knife, its made in USA and your is cheap Taiwan!"
--"Eeee...But its same firm, like your knife is! You think, that my knife is worse and your is excellent ? Why? ? ?, you think that one product is excellent and second, my, from the same firm!, is not so good ??? "
--"Yes, i think so!"

Okey, but ask yourself, why your 200usd knife is better, by my opinion, its debatable ... maybe is better buy something from Taiwan also :) ... its cheaper, quality will sure good (i hope..,but its debatable ...), and, at the end, its same BRAND firm ...

Sorry for my english, but i hope, you will understand, what i thought ...

---Can you imagine cheaper Rolex or Versace clothing or etc. etc., simply Hi-Tech Brand firm - with lettering, for example "Rolex Oyster Perpetual - Taiwan"
First, original model from Swiss and second, ye ye yes - cheaper, from Taiwan, good quality also, BUT ...
This word "but" suck.

Maybe it´s process called globalization ...

So, im going under my massage shower (Taiwan), and i will wipe my body with nice blue towel (Taiwan), i will jump to my color slippers (Taiwan)
...........and! now i switch on my Sony notebook (JAPAN) and i will see, what time is, Rolex (Swiss), and maybe, when you will pester, i will cut you with my Spyderco Gunting(USA) ... :)

Damn, i have good feeling now, brand notebook, watch a knife -- DAMN, who care about some shower and towels!!
-------------------------------------

:::: What is your opinion ???

But it see, Spyderco is more smarter, they will not make it under brand name ...
But ... i don´t understand following :: 1200 pieces only ??!!
If reason is profit, produce some cheaper knives for all, and plan is, send this new brand to every market on the planet earth, so ::
Why not 1 200 000 pieces !
Or 11 200 000?

I´m confused now and i don´t understand ... w-h-y "BYRD"
I am sorry for my free spokenness ...

HHUUMM,well for me I do not need to buy a China made knife and will not buy one.I have bought Taiwan but did not keep it long.
From what I have seen of the price,the Delica or endura aren't much more but much better knives.

Josh M, for better imagination, i linked pic from website, what you wrote ...

BY01BMP-big.jpg

Detailing & Materials normally found in $80+ knives.

Features a 3.38 in. blade of AUS-6 stainless steel, and a 4.50 in. handle with Micarta scales and stainless bolster. Comes complete with pocket clip.

:footinmou Looks like I put my foot in my mouth on this one! Sal, I hope you can understand that my disbelief in the "imported by Spyderco" description of that knife was based on the country of origin, the obvious similarity in looks and size to the Schempp Persian, and the absence of any other Spyderco products under that particular eBay seller's id. Much luck with the new line, hope it is a winner for you, although I think, at least for the time being, I will stick to the "real thing".

Hi Simona, I appreciate your free spokenness, as I do from everyone that hangs out here. That is very important for me.

I cannot say that "Asia rules", but I can say China does exist and is not going to go away. Most knife companies it seems are building in China and as a company planning to survive, some consideration must be given that area.

Our USA made product will remain "pure" USA materials & labor.

Our Seki made product will likewise be "Samurai", materials & philosophies.

Our Taiwan maker is using genuine Aichi & Hitachi steel. Inconvenient and expensive, but we find it doe make a difference in the quality of performance that the ELUs receive. ELUs are still most important part of the business chain.

Our "byrd" line is a minor addition and not a company swing.

Only 1200 pieces because we're just testing and learning.

Josh, MSRP is considerably different, as are material costs.

U812, a good point no doubt. I too worry about the worlds money moving in one direction. It will take 20 years to bring the Chinese labor costs up to modern world competition.

That's why our focus cannot change and why we're dabbling in small quantities. It might be that the market has no interest in the "byrd" line? But for those without the funds for "Genuine Spyderco's", the "byrd" might be a good choice. I have no doubt that the "byrd" line will ultimately be one of the best of the Chinese made knives, because we pay attention to that as a normal value of the organization.

I realize that several famous American company is now building in Taiwan and China under their regular brand names. This not the direction we choose to go. We will not compromise our name for profit.

Hi Paul. It will be interesting for all of us to watch.

Naturally, as always all of your opinions are invited and apprecicated. That's one of the channels that makes Spyderco a bit different.

sal

Don't get me wrong, I do not criticize Spyderco for introducing a line of knives that are made in China. I hope that retail prices will come out as being less than those of a comparable Spyderco model, or quality/materials will be higher while kept at a lower price.

I think there will be a market for these knives, and buyers will probably get some of the best quality and workmanship that is possible from China. But I can speak for myself saying that I do not mind spending $50-100 USD for a preimum production knife, so I'll stick with the real thing.

We all have to remember that it's NOT Taiwan or China that are making knives...It's the PEOPLE and machinery in those countries who make the knives! As long as it is good material, good machinery, and good people (with good quality control), why give a rats'-ass where it's made? (Aside from taking-away jobs from American workers...IF that is really happening in this case.).

Benchmade has its Monochome. Kershaw has its Vapor. I own a Vapor, and the quality is really quite good for $20. Sure the AUS6 has to be sharpened frequently, but it's a safe, well-designed reliable knife with good ergos. Since Spyderco is not willing to trade on its name with the Byrd knives, it will be interesting to see whether people will bite. Keeping the design in house is key -- that's part of what makes the Vapor work: Ken Onion designs a good knife. So does Sal & Co. If Spyderco designs are used, and QC is maintained (entirely possible in China), then the product will be good. And it's not as if people in Golden will be laid off for this. Folks like those on this forum will still buy their U.S. made Militaries, Chinooks, S30V Natives, etc. It's a different market.

Good luck with the new venture Sal.

But I don't have a Rolex. :(

It's a bold move that takes into account of real world situations.

I hope this move pays off for you. Especially if it gives Spyderco the financial security in uncertain times so you can continue to make your top line models we like so much ;)

glockman99 said:
We all have to remember that it's NOT Taiwan or China that are making knives...It's the PEOPLE and machinery in those countries who make the knives! As long as it is good material, good machinery, and good people (with good quality control), why give a rats'-ass where it's made? (Aside from taking-away jobs from American workers...IF that is really happening in this case.).

In 1979 I started buying kitchen knives in Japan. Great quality for the price.
The yen was still "workable". Next I started having some of the styles made in Taiwan. The NT was 42 at the time, so very exciting. The quality was pretty poor, but improved over the next five years. I have never imported quantities of cutlery from China. However, I believe Sal's opinions and observations are correct. A company must continue to branch out and strive for an increase in market share. China is a manufacturing power that will not go away. Good luck. This is a big, necessary, but challenging endeavor.

I second Keith's sentiments regarding the Vapor, which in my experience set a new standard for providing a decent low cost knife without compromising quality.

I'm not sure if a Byrd is right for me, but it certainly has a good heritage behind it. I will watch with interest and continue to trust in your judgement.

anyone got a link on where this line is being sold? i can't find it other than knifesite.com and there is only 1 style.

sorry, not up my alley. design-wise that is. at that price point, the benchmade monochrome will have market share. I'm not sure a persian with a hump will get much interest, especially with that odd shape hole.

sorry, again. I like my spydies so I'll stick to them.

Well, I'd like to say I like the stainless bolsters and green micarta scales. Always classy.

Reminds me of Mr. E's (Ernie Emerson) custom knives, with Titanium bolsters, and green micarta scales.

Not a huge fan the of comet hole.... Looks cheap to me.

I really don't see the need for a new line of knives considering the fact that you can get an Endura for about $50.00. I personally would not be interested in a knife made in China because of the "junk" stigma associated with such knives. The USA/Seki City made Spyderco knives are really outstanding and I don't think that adding a new line will do anything to increase revenue. The people who feel that a $50.00 Endura is overpriced will likely feel the same way about a $40.00 Chinese knife.

ElectricZombie said:
I really don't see the need for a new line of knives considering the fact that you can get an Endura for about $50.00. I personally would not be interested in a knife made in China because of the "junk" stigma associated with such knives. The USA/Seki City made Spyderco knives are really outstanding and I don't think that adding a new line will do anything to increase revenue. The people who feel that a $50.00 Endura is overpriced will likely feel the same way about a $40.00 Chinese knife.
EZ...It wasn't TOO long ago that anything (including knives) that were made in Japan were thought to be "junk"...Now, they are thought to be some of the best in the World.

To quote Bob Dylan; " The times, they are a changin' ".

I never really got that impression of Japanese products; I always considered them equal too or better than US made goods.

China may be able to produce a decent knife, but I think it will take some work to convince the public of that.

Back