CAK rehandle (dial up don't!)

OldSchool45 & Hung,

As requested, my 12.25" Salyan:

12.jpg

10.jpg

I'm a right-hander so you could see the handle's too short.The pommel often "eats" into my lower palm during chopping.

From the pommel, it looks like a tapered tang.

15.jpg

Anyway to extend the tang? I was thinking of welding a threaded rod so i can screw a bolt behind.
Aluminum casting comes into mind as i'm trying to make it real 19th century look.

Any crazy thoughts guys? :)

OldSchool45 & Hung,

As requested, my 12.25" Salyan:

12.jpg

10.jpg

I'm a right-hander so you could see the handle's too short.The pommel often "eats" into my lower palm during chopping.

From the pommel, it looks like a tapered tang.

15.jpg

Anyway to extend the tang? I was thinking of welding a threaded rod so i can screw a bolt behind.
Aluminum casting comes into mind as i'm trying to make it real 19th century look.

It's my 1st khuk and i treasure it a lot. The only way to appreciate it is to use it often and it makes a very good camping knife (0.5" thick spine for moderate chopping and 12+" in length makes it very easy to bring around)

Any crazy thoughts guys? :)

Jay To me it looks like you have 2 choices. Option 1 is to take a fine file and sandpaper and round the part of the pommel that is eating into the "meat" of your palm. I've actually had to do this with all 3 of my Khukuri's. It won't add any length but i will make a world of difference in the comfort area.
Option 2 is to remove the pommel and the existing handle (leave the bolster) and make a new handle using a Rabbet tang http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686557 (check post #12) I would then use 1 maybe 2 brass pins or Corby bolts through the "stick tang" and I wouldn't extend or re peen a new pommel. That would give within reason all the length you wanted and shape it exactly to your hand. I don't know how hard getting the handle away from the tang will be as I haven't tried one yet. According to Karda it may be best to get the pommel off then boil the handle till the laha gives up then the wood should slip off.
Personally I'd try smoothing the down the parts of the pommel that is biting your palm before I would destroy all of that beautiful scroll work.

Last edited:
Bladite, check it. Ridge on the spine won't let me balance it the way I did the modified 12" CAK. That's my 20"AK sitting on top of a shot and change of Blantons with ice.

Attachments

• AKandBlantons.jpg
    AKandBlantons.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 22
Bladite, check it. Ridge on the spine won't let me balance it the way I did the modified 12" CAK. That's my 20"AK sitting on top of a shot and change of Blantons with ice.

nice one :)

Bladite

Hi Jay,

I have a different problem. American size handle is too big for me and I need to shave down. :)

As per the picture, I think you need to add 1" more to the handle, but dont know how it would affect the balance.

If I were you, I can remove the cap nut on the pommel, destroy the wooden tang to rework. You can use a dremmel or hand grinder to destroy the wood part. The pommel and bolster are nice and should be kept. Welding a rod to lengthen the rat tail is the only way to go. It's nicer to peen than to screw a bolt. At first I was also scared doing this but now, it's okay to peen.

I can help you make the handle (for free for sure) but dont know how I could proceed. Sending the knife here is banned and I havent found the service. Sending only the handle, then I got problem in aligning handle with blade.

Let me try to work out and let you know.

Hung

Hung

I can help you make the handle (for free for sure) but dont know how I could proceed. Sending the knife here is banned and I havent found the service. Sending only the handle, then I got problem in aligning handle with blade.

Man you are very kind. But let me try on the method you mentioned.
I was thinking about putting the bolt since it's gonna be a small chopper.
The next thought i have is to get a metal, best if in Al, to form the handle.

In any way, i must appreciate your offer with many thanks!

Sending the knife here is banned and I havent found the service.
How do you have HI ship you the knives? There must be a way.

:)

Jay,

I know a guy who has regular shipment from US to VN. He deals in laptop and iphone. He has special relationship with the Customs and can manage the Customs to get the knives out. Cost is a bit high at $50 for one single knife. Then you know I have to pay $200+ to get the same HI piece like you do. Hic!

The point is they only operate in US-VN route. For other countries, he wont get much benefit and wont agree to help. If we use this route, you have to ship to US, then US to VN. Lead time would be around 2 weeks. It's ridiculous for a distance from Malaysia to VN of around 1.5 hours flight. The shipping cost would be equal to a new special order for a longer handle version of your knife.

If you send to me via global mail system (similar to USPS), your knife would forever become the most favorite knife ever of the Custom Officer's son. Mine knives did! Hate him!

That's why I didnt propose these solution.

Just made this handle of my new khukuri. Havent completed the blade part. Once done, I'll post to share.

DSC00502.jpg

Drop me an email at hunglvq@gmail.com, I'll discuss with you further.

Cheers,

Hung

I had to add pins to my 20" AK yesterday. I'll post a how to if anyone is interested.

Back