California Wildfires

We are in Duarte, So Cal, one of the foothill communities threatened by the "Bobcat" fire. Some of the brush on our mountain has not burned in 50-100 years so there is ample fuel. Where we are, I think we are fine but they are talking about possible evacuations as the fire is moving south toward us.
Ash is everywhere.
20200907-124104.jpg

I've lost track of the times I've watched those hills burn. Grew up in Tujunga, lived in Pasadena and Altadena, family all along the 210 past Glendora. In 3-4 months it'll be slides if you get any rain. I really don't miss that.

That's a lot of ash. We're North of the drier cali style terrain up here but there is still a huge fire hazard around here.

We've got decades of fuel load to deal with from decades of fire suppression.

I grew up in what is now La Cañada-Flintridge. Over the years I lived at the foot of the San Gabriels in a half dozen different towns, Duarte among them. I remember ash like that. Prayers sent.

My folks are over the Sierras in the Carson Valley and still have had smoke so thick this week that they couldn't see the end of the driveway. Can't imagine being in CA right now, stay safe people!

I would suggest you prepare for the worst as things aren't changing. Do you have a trailer to load stuff into?

I grew up in what is now La Cañada-Flintridge. Over the years I lived at the foot of the San Gabriels in a half dozen different towns, Duarte among them. I remember ash like that. Prayers sent.
Thank you bud :thumbsup:

Took this pic from my front yard today.
20200910-160620.jpg

I would suggest you prepare for the worst as things aren't changing. Do you have a trailer to load stuff into?
I have my Silverado. No trailer.
We are at the extreme SE corner of the evacuation warning. So far, no aircraft last couple of days due to vis.
33 engine companies and hand crews are on it.
We packed up some essentials and are ready to gp along with our kitty.

Must resist urge to make a Sodom and Gomorrah reference here...
Bigfattyt Bigfattyt
Norcaldude Norcaldude

I agree with Norcaldude.

Most of the people in the affected areas are just good salt-of-the-earth people. Snickering as they lose their homes is ... well this isn't Whine and Cheese so I can't use the necessary language.

Monrovia checking in. Had to watch the fire at night from the top of my street. I'm south of Foothill and Bradbury would get it first. Fortunately the wind has been still! It seems to be moving to Arcadia at last check. I know Canyon Park and Trask got some damage, but all is not lost. Hang in there Arcadians!

Bigfattyt Bigfattyt
Norcaldude Norcaldude

I agree with Norcaldude.

Most of the people in the affected areas are just good salt-of-the-earth people. Snickering as they lose their homes is ... well this isn't Whine and Cheese so I can't use the necessary language.

I did not like his post because I believe evil people are getting their just punishment by way of fire...

I believe many of the fires are started by evil people.

There have been multiple arsonist arrested in WA, OR etc. Evil people behaving evily.

Fires up here in my area to. Our family property had to be evacuated over labor day weekend. We don't know yet, if it will burn up or not.

Last I heard fire was only 40% contained, and still under level 2 evacuation notice.

There have been multiple deaths in my state. Kids, even.

Others are going arround looting in the burned areas where people are evacuated.

Behaving evily.

From my niece that lives in Ashland Oregon.

We're a couple hours North of the US border pretty well straight above Omak WA. Air quality is off the chart high in the very high health risk. Days of heavy smoke and reduced visibility. Can't fly our local fire fighting crews due to smoke. We're on a peak between 2 valleys and there are smoke clouds scudding along the ground like fog. Hopefully the pattern breaks this week.

What kind of person feels the need to make a comment like this about a cataclysm that has destroyed many people's homes and killed several people?

The kind of person who:

A- Recognizes the fact that any discussion relating to California can very easily turn political without anyone even trying.

B- Regrettably needs to rely on occasional dark humor as a defense in response to experiencing apathy fatigue/exhaustion from everything that's happened over the last 19 years at home and abroad.

C- Has come to understand the simple fact that there's never going to be an end to human suffering in the world, and that nothing is ever going to get any better than it is right now.

Even if the fires could be poofed out of existence with a snap of the fingers, the death and devastation that's been suffered is going to be lingering for potentially decades to come. And just as soon as the fires are out and people start moving back into the unsafe burn zones, the news cycle is going to have some other horrific tragedy to report on for weeks/months to come. And then after that, another horrific tragedy. Because that's ultimately what sells.

I'm certainly not trying to be that guy who makes light of the suffering of others. I just understand that this is the new, horrifying normal, and I'm feeling too old and tired to get upset about it.

When karma wraps it's cold hands around your neck, remember you said this.

I've already lost five pets, five family members and nearly a sixth, several people who were regarded as family, and a lot of those still left are currently in the hurricane zone on the east coast.

The kind of person who:

A- Recognizes the fact that any discussion relating to California can very easily turn political without anyone even trying.

B- Regrettably needs to rely on occasional dark humor as a defense in response to experiencing apathy fatigue/exhaustion from everything that's happened over the last 19 years at home and abroad.

C- Has come to understand the simple fact that there's never going to be an end to human suffering in the world, and that nothing is ever going to get any better than it is right now.

Even if the fires could be poofed out of existence with a snap of the fingers, the death and devastation that's been suffered is going to be lingering for potentially decades to come. And just as soon as the fires are out and people start moving back into the unsafe burn zones, the news cycle is going to have some other horrific tragedy to report on for weeks/months to come. And then after that, another horrific tragedy. Because that's ultimately what sells.

I'm certainly not trying to be that guy who makes light of the suffering of others. I just understand that this is the new, horrifying normal, and I'm feeling too old and tired to get upset about it.

I've already lost five pets, five family members and nearly a sixth, several people who were regarded as family, and a lot of those still left are currently in the hurricane zone on the east coast.
Whine and Cheese "Dark Humor" on tap 24-7, we even deliver on request.

Dark humor about a horrific event while the event is still ongoing and your audience is completely unknown to you = bad idea.
Especially when dished out with little skill and with just the written word as your medium.

Duly noted.

Back