Call for Charpy toughness samples

Not sure if there’s a typo in the first sentence. “And temperature” not sure what that means.

I find a big difference in plate quenching vs. Air cooling. One to two Rc points.

I’ll be playing with z-FiNiT and see if I can get to Rc60/61. I’m thinking of the higher austenitizing temp, and tempering around 480, like the lower temp sample.
Foiled by autocorrect again! I fixed it.

Try a 1925F/350F combination with Z-Finit.

For Z-Finit, I harden at 1900, plate quench, LN2 overnight, & temper at 350 for 61-HRC.

I have access to Calmax in biggish blocks and cutting it to the smallest size that the bandsaw can cut, means a 8mm thick slab that gets thicker on the length. The width might be around 40mm at the narrowest, and the length around 6 inches to a foot long...
I do not have a surface grinder, but I can try and parallel the sides to fit?

Interested?

Not to clutter up the thread, but I'd just like to say WOW!!!! Ya'll are the greatest with all this testing. There is going to be LOTS of work getting all this organized into clear data. a great big THANK YOU to all that are helping here. I'd LOVE to help, but do know my limitations. About the only steel I've got is AEB-L and a couple pieces of 14C28N. Sandvik steels are just too hard to get to fool with.

I'm surely looking forward to the results.

I have access to Calmax in biggish blocks and cutting it to the smallest size that the bandsaw can cut, means a 8mm thick slab that gets thicker on the length. The width might be around 40mm at the narrowest, and the length around 6 inches to a foot long...

Interested?

Definitely! there are calmax sold here too they came with 22mm thick to be split into 10mm per side. The steel seems to be very tough. Might be even tougher than 3V or L6 at around 59HRC.

Interested?
If you can get them to plus or minus 0.003” you can do them yourself. If not you can send them to DevinT.

Larrin, Hi...
My name is Stuart Ackerman, based in New Zealand.
I will be cutting a bunch of Calmax tomorrow for myself, and a trial today only allowed me to get a 7mm piece, way too thick for you, based on your measurement guidelines in the first post.

I will try to get a thinner piece or two done tomorrow, as most big bandsaws wander on the long length cuts, so I will report back?

Surface grinding here in NZ is not cheap, ( I do not own one ) but I can stock remove grind to near enough the 2.5mm thickness if that helps you?

Last edited:
Don't you have the home version of a surface grinder aka your flat platen and a magnet? ;)
Larrin, Hi...
I will be cutting a bunch of Calmax tomorrow for myself, and a trial today only allowed me to get a 7mm piece, way too thick for you, based on your measurement guidelines in the first post.

I will try to get a thinner piece or two done tomorrow, as most big bandsaws wander on the long length cuts, so I will report back?

Surface grinding here in NZ is not cheap, ( I do not own one ) but I can stock remove grind to near enough the 2.5mm thickness if that helps you?

Larrin, Hi...

I used stock a few thousandths too thick, and cut a bit oversize. DevinT generously offered to surface grind for those of us who don’t have a surface grinder.

Warren

Later I’ll also send some H11 ESR steel croupons (this time, more than one) to have it toughness tested, Larrin Larrin . I’ve asked my friend to make me a knife out of it. Not the best choice for a knife, but should be pretty tough.

I’ve got the 8670 coupons ready to heat treat. I used up my last foil, and have more on the way. Next is M2, N690, and alternative heat treat for z-FiNiT.

Hmmm, want some H13?
I did not realise that the testing would extend to H11, and I do have access to H13.
I don't have as much interest in such low hardness steels. I don't necessarily want to turn it away, but I would be more interested in other choices.

Back