Call for Charpy toughness samples

N690, M2, and Darrin Sanders recommendation for z-FiNiT are in cryo right now. I’ll be doing high temper M2 later this week.
What did you use for heat treat on the first M2 sample? I’ve been messing with that steel a little lately. Off hand without my notebook, I think I used 2050 aus, with a 30 minute soak, dry ice, and 460 temper. No way to rc test it though.

What did you use for heat treat on the first M2 sample? I’ve been messing with that steel a little lately. Off hand without my notebook, I think I used 2050 aus, with a 30 minute soak, dry ice, and 460 temper. No way to rc test it though.

2100f, 20min soak, Cryo, and will temper at 400f.

I really need a dam rc tester!!!!!

Worth every penny. Last month I made six blades in what I thought was aeb-l, and all of them came out at Rc30 or so. Steel was mislabeled. A quick check is great assurance and quality control. I think they are 80crv2, and will normalize and cycle them, and hopefully they harden.

M2 came out at Rc63. (2100f x 20min, cryo overnight, and 400f 2h x 3.)
Nice, as soon as I can swing it, I’ll probably order the grizzly rc tester! It sucks not knowing exactly what I’m getting. I’m tired of guessing. Gotta pay off the kiln first, then buy the rc tester, then maybe a new grinder by the fall! This is an expensive hobby!

Hey guys! I was wondering if there has been any progress on this?

Also, I've been calling around trying to get some K490, and if I succeed, I'd be interested in donating some for this testing. I don't expect it anytime soon, but if I get enough, I'll donate some.

In my calling around, I spoke with a gent at USAknifemaker . com. He sounded excited to look into maybe stocking K490 since his supplier does have it. He's not received any requests for it besides mine, so if anyone feels like expressing interest to them, please do.

Back