Calling deer hunters

Looking for advice from seasoned hunters since I don't . I'm looking to gift to someone one with small hands. It would be for skinning , field dressing purposes. I understand that just about anything would work but I'm thinking single blade folder in carbon . Curious about blade shapes and whatever else y'all can think of . I like GEC but would consider others No customs, trying to keep price down . My uneducated thoughts would be gec 73 drop point , 43 clip , 71 ??

I'm curious to see what those with experience have to say. I haven't dressed a deer myself, but I would use a fixed blade myself. Easier to clean, since I am sure I would be covered in blood and whatnot by the time I'm finished.

You will get a few people recommending a small fixed blade. Is that an option or are you set on a folder?

I mostly use fixed blades for larger game such as deer, and I don’t think I’ve ever used a slipjoint to clean one either. That’s not to say people don’t, I know some that do, but I always preferred something that locked if not a fixed blade itself.

In the style you’re looking for I would suggest a GEC 72. It’s like a lockback 73. No experience with the 72, but I really like my 73. My Dad always used his Buck 110 to clean his deer and he made it look easy. My most used when I was younger was a Schrade Golden Spike. The last knife I used on a deer was a Buck Pathfinder, maybe 3 or 4 years ago. I’d probably find it difficult to try clean out the gunk on a slipjoint.

If you decided to go with a fixed blade, Case makes a few in the smaller range that would work really well.

I sort of suggested a fixed but she didn't seem to excited about it . Guess for discussion purposes I should include fixed blade as well . I can see how that would be ideal.
Price 150 max . She's also a minimalist so I'd get bonus points for some thing less

I have used one of the old GEC made Schrade Fire and Ice Large Trappers (I forget what frame that was built on) to field dress a deer and was less than satisfied with the performance. The blade chipped pretty badly and, naturally, the folder was a total mess with blood by the end of it.

It seems like I'm always dressing deer when it's freezing out. I've bought 2 H10s to use for this task, but then I discover that they are 'rare' and I decide to keep them nice. But I would maybe steer you toward one of the very recently produced "H" series hunters from GEC. Or maybe a Hess, which I haven't tried, but keep meaning to.

I bought a Cross Knives Trapper fixed blade a couple of years ago and have been using that.

Have a look at A.G. Russell website. Have a good range of all knives and well priced.

I’m in the fixed blade camp here as well.

I’ll throw this out as one to consider. The Spyderco Gayle Bradley Junction is on closeout right now for $140 (was $200 I believe). It’s a little longer than I prefer at 4”, but it’s nice thin stock PSF27 (D2), which has great abrasion resistance. It has a thin handle that would be ideal for small hands I think.

Anyway, I had some points and picked one up for this very purpose for even less. The scales are smooth G10, but it has a decent guard.

I have seen many hunters split the pelvic bone by hammering a good knife through it with a hunk of wood.

Better to invest in a Sagen Saw for splitting the pelvic bone.

I second the gec bullnose my personal favorite folder for hunting is a Remington 1306. You can't go wrong with a buck 110 iv skinned many a deer with one. Good luck with you hunt

I know most here are big on GEC, and I am as well, but I have to suggest a pattern that GEC has failed to produce yet, but is exactly what a sportsman needs. The old clasp knife. They come as a single bladed clip or with a second blade that can be used to skin deer or fillet fish. Ka-Bar and Case clasp knives fill the ranks of most of the older deer hunters in family. This one happened to belong to my great grandfather later in his life. I am fortunate to have inherited his Case Clasp Knife. I look at it and wonder how much game these carbon blades have seen.20180906_132502.jpg

A GEC Farm & Field Bullnose with Delrin or micarta covers would be virtually impervious to damage and just about perfect for all but the larger species. Well under $100, too.

I also think the Bullnose is a good choice.
A great fixed blade would be a L.T. Wright small Northern Hunter

My family always used slipjoints and still do. Stockman, trapper, or muskrat. Just rinse the knife off when you get home or at camp. I'd recommend a Case trapper in CV steel.

Small hands, proven on deer for skinning and deboning meat? Sounds like a job for the Buck 118 fixed blade to me. Currently available for about $50 in the 420HC Steel; easy to clean and as easy as carbon to put an edge back on. Of course for $75 to $80 you can get it in a hopped up blade steel (D2 or 5160). Slightly bigger hands can handle the Buck 110 Folding Hunter - same 420HC blade steel and ebony handles, about $40. Sky (and price) are the limit for hopped up blade steels on the 110. Either of these classic deer hunters knives would last through several generations of hunters. OH

Back