1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Calling deer hunters

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Txjohn, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Txjohn

Txjohn Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Looking for advice from seasoned hunters since I don't . I'm looking to gift to someone one with small hands. It would be for skinning , field dressing purposes. I understand that just about anything would work but I'm thinking single blade folder in carbon . Curious about blade shapes and whatever else y'all can think of . I like GEC but would consider others No customs, trying to keep price down . My uneducated thoughts would be gec 73 drop point , 43 clip , 71 ??

2. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    I'm curious to see what those with experience have to say. I haven't dressed a deer myself, but I would use a fixed blade myself. Easier to clean, since I am sure I would be covered in blood and whatnot by the time I'm finished.

3. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    You will get a few people recommending a small fixed blade. Is that an option or are you set on a folder?

4. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    What’s your price limit John?

5. knowtracks

knowtracks Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Small fixed in 1095 is the way to go. Depending on the weather conditions, it can be cold and of course slippery. 1095 can be touched up easily in the field if need be on boot leather or the bottom of a coffee cup.

Dave

6. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Buck 110 or 112 or a Rough Rider or Marbles or Case two blade Folding Hunter or standard/large two blade Trapper or Moose pattern.

A small fixed blade will be easier to clean after.

Lesknife and Misplaced Hillbilly like this.
  7. garddogg56

garddogg56

Jan 9, 2012
    Buck 118or 105 for new..used get a Schrade sharpfinger..

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  8. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    I mostly use fixed blades for larger game such as deer, and I don’t think I’ve ever used a slipjoint to clean one either. That’s not to say people don’t, I know some that do, but I always preferred something that locked if not a fixed blade itself.

In the style you’re looking for I would suggest a GEC 72. It’s like a lockback 73. No experience with the 72, but I really like my 73. My Dad always used his Buck 110 to clean his deer and he made it look easy. My most used when I was younger was a Schrade Golden Spike. The last knife I used on a deer was a Buck Pathfinder, maybe 3 or 4 years ago. I’d probably find it difficult to try clean out the gunk on a slipjoint.

If you decided to go with a fixed blade, Case makes a few in the smaller range that would work really well.

9. Txjohn

Txjohn Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 24, 2013
    I sort of suggested a fixed but she didn't seem to excited about it . Guess for discussion purposes I should include fixed blade as well . I can see how that would be ideal.
    Price 150 max . She's also a minimalist so I'd get bonus points for some thing less

VCM3 likes this.
  10. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    I have used one of the old GEC made Schrade Fire and Ice Large Trappers (I forget what frame that was built on) to field dress a deer and was less than satisfied with the performance. The blade chipped pretty badly and, naturally, the folder was a total mess with blood by the end of it.

It seems like I'm always dressing deer when it's freezing out. I've bought 2 H10s to use for this task, but then I discover that they are 'rare' and I decide to keep them nice. But I would maybe steer you toward one of the very recently produced "H" series hunters from GEC. Or maybe a Hess, which I haven't tried, but keep meaning to.

I bought a Cross Knives Trapper fixed blade a couple of years ago and have been using that.

11. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Have a look at A.G. Russell website. Have a good range of all knives and well priced.

Trad likes this.
  12. nettle

nettle

Jun 11, 2019
    I have owned one of these for many years and dressed many deer with it. On one occasion I dressed two deer the same day without sharpening and it was still shaving sharp afterwards. Small enough to control inside the body cavity when it's hard to see what's going on.

I have always used diamond stones to sharpen it although other stones may work also.

https://agrussell.com/knife/Dozier-Straight-Personal-Yellow-Micarta--DK-PESYM

13. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    I’m in the fixed blade camp here as well.

I’ll throw this out as one to consider. The Spyderco Gayle Bradley Junction is on closeout right now for $140 (was $200 I believe). It’s a little longer than I prefer at 4”, but it’s nice thin stock PSF27 (D2), which has great abrasion resistance. It has a thin handle that would be ideal for small hands I think.

Anyway, I had some points and picked one up for this very purpose for even less. The scales are smooth G10, but it has a decent guard.

thomask likes this.
  14. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    A GEC Farm & Field Bullnose with Delrin or micarta covers would be virtually impervious to damage and just about perfect for all but the larger species. Well under $100, too.

Trad, 315, CVamberbonehead and 2 others like this.
  15. nettle

nettle

Jun 11, 2019
    I have seen many hunters split the pelvic bone by hammering a good knife through it with a hunk of wood.

Better to invest in a Sagen Saw for splitting the pelvic bone.

16. The Shatz

The Shatz Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2017
    I second the gec bullnose my personal favorite folder for hunting is a Remington 1306. You can't go wrong with a buck 110 iv skinned many a deer with one. Good luck with you hunt

17. Rockon75

Rockon75 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I know most here are big on GEC, and I am as well, but I have to suggest a pattern that GEC has failed to produce yet, but is exactly what a sportsman needs. The old clasp knife. They come as a single bladed clip or with a second blade that can be used to skin deer or fillet fish. Ka-Bar and Case clasp knives fill the ranks of most of the older deer hunters in family. This one happened to belong to my great grandfather later in his life. I am fortunate to have inherited his Case Clasp Knife. I look at it and wonder how much game these carbon blades have seen. 20180906_132502.jpg

18. swede413

swede413

May 20, 2017
    I also think the Bullnose is a good choice.
    A great fixed blade would be a L.T. Wright small Northern Hunter

19. 22Hornet

22Hornet

Apr 2, 2012
    My family always used slipjoints and still do. Stockman, trapper, or muskrat. Just rinse the knife off when you get home or at camp. I'd recommend a Case trapper in CV steel.

20. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Small hands, proven on deer for skinning and deboning meat? Sounds like a job for the Buck 118 fixed blade to me. Currently available for about $50 in the 420HC Steel; easy to clean and as easy as carbon to put an edge back on. Of course for $75 to $80 you can get it in a hopped up blade steel (D2 or 5160). Slightly bigger hands can handle the Buck 110 Folding Hunter - same 420HC blade steel and ebony handles, about $40. Sky (and price) are the limit for hopped up blade steels on the 110. Either of these classic deer hunters knives would last through several generations of hunters. OH