Camp Knife for my Wife Recommendations Please

I'd get the Fallkniven standard F1 with the thermorun handle and it's a laminated blade. One of our vendors here has them for a little over a hundred bucks. You could throw this knife in the river and probably come back in a year and it would look like new. Check out the reviews on them, just not the survival silly thread that beat on the f1 with a rock. :rolleyes:

https://www.dlttrading.com/fallkniven-f1-survival-w-leather-sheath

The cheap solution; Terävä Pukko 140.
The classic solution; Buck 119.
The traditional solution (if a couple of bucks over the budget but well worth it IMO); Becker BK62 Kephart.
SherlockT SherlockT Do not - I repeat do NOT - buy from anything from Perkin Knives, as one member recommended. Perkin is operated by a shady character loathed in (British) knife circles. Knives are mostly sourced from Pakistan, many of them in 'crapmascus.' For years, they claimed the knives were made in the UK, then they claimed EU and now it something like 'made outside the UK' by expert craftsmen or some such nonsense. Horrible company, horrible person behind the company and last but not least horrible bargain basement POS 'knives.' Perkin makes BudK knives look good. Run, dont walk away, if you spot a Perkin knife.

Last edited:
N NapalmCheese and @Sharp & Fiery and @dirc Thanks guys for the recommendations! SherlockT SherlockT I can't make your current time frame but I thought I'd tell ya about what my wife carries. We don't really camp anymore but as ranchers we are out in the wilds probably more than most folks. For some years now she has EDCed one of my Gordo models (AEB-L stainless or damascus), here bottle feeding this orphan calf (Frank made it btw, many don't):

mOmZe2y.jpg

While small, its big enough to get just about anything done except maybe an elk ya got down or splitting firewood. The advantage, I feel, is she's always got it with her. Crossdraw, horizontal carry, seems perfect as its out of the way and yet is easily drawn by either hand.

D6daQXe.jpg

Ue8hAcK.jpg

A Stainless Gordo:

hd3zSH3.jpg

A Gordo:

fgDW0Ja.jpg

If food prep was on the menu too (sorry for the pun), I'd maybe look at a Coyote or a Cowboy. Still packs well but just a little bit more blade for slicing:

A Coyote.

xb4zQE6.jpg

eEJMX6c.jpg

A Cowboy.

kYTzfNF.jpg

Again guys thanks for the recommendations and for info the wife is a 1911 girl in several flavors:

z5G3uIT.jpg

zXeadKk.jpg

I've been rolling the Glock 43 for a while now:

Js6wIa6.jpg

If you are willing to go below 4", the White River Backpacker Pro might be a good choice. I love this little knife. Tough too.

At 5" and a hair, the Kabar Becker BK-62 Kephart would do everything you need to do short of beating on it too hard.

N NapalmCheese and @Sharp & Fiery and @dirc Thanks guys for the recommendations! SherlockT SherlockT I can't make your current time frame but I thought I'd tell ya about what my wife carries. We don't really camp anymore but as ranchers we are out in the wilds probably more than most folks. For some years now she has EDCed one of my Gordo models (AEB-L stainless or damascus), here bottle feeding this orphan calf (Frank made it btw, many don't):

De nada! I keep meaning to put in an order with you but haven't yet pulled the trigger. I'm pretty certain I need a Gordo and my MIL needs a Tapadero or Sonoran Belt Knife to compliment the last buckle she won.

To the OP, barring that however and given your time frame, another user suggested a Buck 119. I'm rather partial to the Buck 105s myself which can be had in a variety of materials from various vendors.

De nada! I keep meaning to put in an order with you but haven't yet pulled the trigger. I'm pretty certain I need a Gordo and my MIL needs a Tapadero or Sonoran Belt Knife to compliment the last buckle she won.

To the OP, barring that however and given your time frame, another user suggested a Buck 119. I'm rather partial to the Buck 105s myself which can be had in a variety of materials from various vendors.

Working on a big batch right now. Some of each in it.

Well it's my wife's Birthday and we leave at around noon tomorrow for the camping trip. Just wanted to update everyone on what she got.

Since you are using a BK9, I'd recommend for her a BK16. I use a BK9 as well and my wife has a BK16 and she absolutely loves it!

The Becker BK16 was the clear winner in terms of cost effectiveness, features, and the ability to Amazon Prime the thing to get here in time. She is very pleased with the size of the knife but promptly complained that the sheath wasn't black. I've since installed the coyote brown scales on it with a bit of blue threadlock and she's happier with it now that they match. This will serve as a fine camp knife for her until I order something custom. (Which I'll address in a minute.)

View media item 5749
Edit: Also look into the old hickory butcher knife plus Ka-bar usmc sheath for about 20$ total.

This was just a damn fine idea for knife to keep in the camping kit at all times. The single blade that you suggested was roughly $18 on Amazon, but this set was $35. My wife is beyond thrilled to have a permanent camp kitchen knife set and now has a new project in front of her when we get back. She's going to buy some canvas and pull out the sewing machine and make a custom roll to keep them in. She's thrilled.

View media item 5750
Working on a big batch right now. Some of each in it.

So my wife is a tradeswoman. She's a federally licensed locksmith and she works as an in house locksmith for a major door company. She also works as an architectural consultant on doors, frames, and hardware. She handles some big accounts (Lakewood, Baylor College of Medicine) and she does everything from single locks to small project management. In short, she likes tools but quite frankly isn't impressed by anything unless it's the best. Horsewright Horsewright , I showed her your blades and there was an immediate emotional spark. Especially from your Damascus Gordo. She also loved the horizontal crossdraw sheath. And all of this is important because quite frankly my wife doesn't like ANYTHING. I'm going to PM you when we get back from this trip and we can talk about timeframes and cost. Also, there is another interesting angle here I'll discuss on the forum now. I play in a band, and we have new material coming out starting in August. (We're transitioning to an internet based model where we release one new song a month plus a video for it. All original content.) The October song will be a song that I specifically wrote for my wife. I think you'd enjoy the lyrics and it would be very interesting to tie the knife in with the song so that I could present her both in October. And I think it would be amazingly fun to release it all here on the forum as well. I'll PM you when I get back and we can talk about getting the ball rolling on it.

Thank you everyone who participated here. What a fun group of people!

Last edited:
Well it's my wife's Birthday and we leave at around noon tomorrow for the camping trip. Just wanted to update everyone on what she got.

The Becker BK16 was the clear winner in terms of cost effectiveness, features, and the ability to Amazon Prime the thing to get here in time. She is very pleased with the size of the knife but promptly complained that the sheath wasn't black. I've since installed the coyote brown scales on it with a bit of blue threadlock and she's happier with it now that they match. This will serve as a fine camp knife for her until I order something custom. (Which I'll address in a minute.)

View media item 5749View media item 5749

This was just a damn fine idea for knife to keep in the camping kit at all times. The single blade that you suggested was roughly $18 on Amazon, but this set was $35. My wife is beyond thrilled to have a permanent camp kitchen knife set and now has a new project in front of her when we get back. She's going to buy some canvas and pull out the sewing machine and make a custom roll to keep them in. She's thrilled.

View media item 5750

So my wife is a tradeswoman. She's a federally licensed locksmith and she works as an in house locksmith for a major door company. She also works as an architectural consultant on doors, frames, and hardware. She handles some big accounts (Lakewood, Baylor College of Medicine) and she does everything from single locks to small project management. In short, she likes tools but quite frankly isn't impressed by anything unless it's the best. Horsewright Horsewright , I showed her your blades and there was an immediate emotional spark. Especially from your Damascus Gordo. She also loved the horizontal crossdraw sheath. And all of this is important because quite frankly my wife doesn't like ANYTHING. I'm going to PM you when we get back from this trip and we can talk about timeframes and cost. Also, there is another interesting angle here I'll discuss on the forum now. I play in a band, and we have new material coming out starting in August. (We're transitioning to an internet based model where we release one new song a month plus a video for it. All original content.) The October song will be a song that I specifically wrote for my wife. I think you'd enjoy the lyrics and it would be very interesting to tie the knife in with the song so that I could present her both in October. And I think it would be amazingly fun to release it all here on the forum as well. I'll PM you when I get back and we can talk about getting the ball rolling on it.

I hope she likes it! Just keep them oiled if they're being stored for long periods of time. I'm sure you already knew that though. I forced a patina on mine with mustard and doesn't rust

I've used a Ka-Bar Becker BK 9 for years as a camp knife. I doubt I'll change as I can run any number of my Spyderco Folders for small tasks, and the Becker is beat up but a damn fine functional piece of steel for camp work.

You answered your question.

View media item 5749

View media item 5750

Enjoy your trip! I'll be around when ya get back. Building knives is what I do. Finished grinding these yesterday and have em ready to ship to heat treat today.

CeNeNd4.jpg

Several Gordos in there.

HMKQJVZ.jpg

View media item 5749

View media item 5750

Excellent choice! There are plenty of kydex benders that can make a black sheath for that knife ( @azwelke is one). Or if you want to keep the nylon, you could always dye it black.

A kydex sheat makes it carry much better. I feel as the stock sheat is kind of long for blade.

A kydex sheat makes it carry much better. I feel as the stock sheat is kind of long for blade.
This is true. The tweener sheaths were the same sheath made for knives of different sizes, the largest of which is the BK 15. That knife fits quite well. Here is a pic of the 15 with a knife that is still just a bit larger than the 16 to give an idea of how much wasted room there is in this sheath for the 16.
kLGoQpuh.jpg

Also, the lashing tab at the bottom of the sheath adds about an inch. I lash it over with some paracord and melt it to keep it out of the way. Takes off about an inch.
tPCDjQuh.jpg

Shameless plug for TKC scales.
KpQQDg7h.jpg

Hope she enjoys that Becker. I add my 2 cents, sorry for a late reply, but I bet a LT Wright GNS in A good one, In AEBL in stainless. Or more budget friendly, the Buck 105.

Back