Can a medfords frame lock be loosened?

Hey all,
I picked up a Medford slim midi a couple weeks ago and have been trying to break it in because its really stiff. I've now cut my thumb twice because the lock on it is so tight and I have to apply so much pressure that when it does close, it pops down hard. Using 2 hands its ok, which is what I'm doing now, but does anyone know if the lock can be loosened? I've read about medfords warranty and not being able to take it apart, just seeing if there was a simple thing to make it a bit easier. If it comes to it though, ill just contact medford about sending it in.
Thank you for any help or advice

Its called lock stick.
Try to apply graphite from a pencil to the lock face. See if that makes it a bit better. Others have found that it worked out well.

A bit of Sharpie on the tang in the spot where it contacts the lockbar is another option. Not sure if/how that impacts Medford's rather stringent warranty, so apply at your own risk and all that.

From what I've read, Medfords sometimes have truly monumental lock stick during their break-in period. (All of mine have been bought used and already broken-in.)

So you mean just use the graphite or sharpie and rub some on there where the lock makes contact? Just making sure before I do it wrong and mess something up lol

Its called lock stick.
Try to apply graphite from a pencil to the lock face. See if that makes it a bit better. Others have found that it worked out well.
I don’t know how to explain it any better. The lock face is the top of the frame lock that goes under the blade when you open the knife. The surface that is sticking.

So you mean just use the graphite or sharpie and rub some on there where the lock makes contact? Just making sure before I do it wrong and mess something up lol

My ZT 0450 had ferocious lock stick when I got it, so I worked the action for a little while until I could clearly see the exact tang/lockbar contact area, drew on that spot with a Sharpie, let it dry, and then repeated as needed whenever the Sharpie wore off.

11twJvN.jpg

I may not have needed to do this, but it did help it wear in a bit faster since it became much easier to disengage while it was breaking in. As you can see, not all of the Sharpie wore off and probably never will (unless I disassemble the knife and deliberately remove it).

The Medford answer would probably be "give it some more time and don't Sharpie anything." A quick call to them might not hurt; I've heard they're quite responsive.

Thank you all for the help and advice, I did put some graphite on it and its slipping out a bit easier, ill keep doing it alot also and see if that wears it in.

Did I hear something about Medford easing up on the whole “dissembling will void your warranty” concern? Maybe I dreamed that?

I just received a Slim Midi and I see what you say about the lock stick. It is starting to break-in as I’ve been playing with it. The Bronze Phosphor washers are getting smooth and the lock stick is starting to lighten up. I think it will take a while but think the results will be worth it.

Did I hear something about Medford easing up on the whole “dissembling will void your warranty” concern? Maybe I dreamed that?

They changed that policy. I debated about responding to your comment and I don't want to make this a “Greg Thread” by any means, lol

I still can't believe how stiff this knife is, ive been opening and closing it almost every night for an hour or more and its still stiff. It loosened up a little from when I got it but its still not easy to flick open, and will not fall closed at all, needs to be pushed closed

I still can't believe how stiff this knife is, ive been opening and closing it almost every night for an hour or more and its still stiff. It loosened up a little from when I got it but its still not easy to flick open, and will not fall closed at all, needs to be pushed closed

I can't speak to the Slim Midi, nor to the button locks or other variations, but I have three Medfords (Praetorian G, Praetorian Genesis T, and TFF-1) and two more have passed through my hands (187DP and 187F).

None of the non-flippers have been able to flick open; that's just not how they're designed. They've got a smooth, almost hydraulic action. All of them fall shut until they contact my (prepared) finger/thumb, though some are slicker than others; they all require a stiff shake or finger-close from there. Again, it's just the way they're made. I like that about them, but I can see why others might not.

Hopefully a Slim Midi owner or two will weigh in. :)

I've been watching videos and see what you mean about them not being made to flick open, but all the ones i see atleast fall closed a little. Ill keep playing with it and see if it just has a longer break in period, but when I disengage the lock it won't fall down at all or even move when i shake it. I still really like the knife and its definitely well made, just a small thing that hopefully will work its self out

I havent heard of that before, ill look it up and give it a try. Been playing with it alot and still pretty stiff, so open to trying anything that will help. It has somewhat got better but still not as loose as some i see in videos on youtube

I received my Slim Midi about a week after yours. Mine is smooth, but far from beingdrop free. The lock stick is getting better and my thumb is starting to callus up (which helps). I’ve seen videos online where the blade seems to be more free, but they weren’t the stonewash finish of mine. Since it is textured, I would imagine it takes a while to wear in.

But I’m happy with it. I didn’t buy it to be a “fidget knife” but to use as an EDC. I like that it is a little tight because I expect it to loosen-up and I also don’t like a super loose blade in my front pocket. My Hinderer XM-18 and other flippers are my “fidget knives”. And the Slim Praetorian Flipper I have on order will be my Medford “fidget knife”.

I'm starting to get the same mindset with mine, thats its a good edc but not a fidget knife. Im embarrassed to say but I've now cut my thumb 4 times since I've had it o_O everytime was from putting so much pressure on the blade and trying to free the lock one handed until it snapped closed on me. Even though the lock is tight ive figured out how to grip it and where to push on the lock and to not push the blade at all until the lock releases, just took a few band aides to get to that point lol. At this point I do carry it almost daily, paired with a boot knife with easy access for if i only have 1 hand free, and i use the medford if im able to use 2 hands to close it. Great knife and I really enjoy it, just learning what it's good for and where my limitations are with it

I'm starting to get the same mindset with mine, thats its a good edc but not a fidget knife. Im embarrassed to say but I've now cut my thumb 4 times since I've had it o_O everytime was from putting so much pressure on the blade and trying to free the lock one handed until it snapped closed on me. Even though the lock is tight ive figured out how to grip it and where to push on the lock and to not push the blade at all until the lock releases, just took a few band aides to get to that point lol. At this point I do carry it almost daily, paired with a boot knife with easy access for if i only have 1 hand free, and i use the medford if im able to use 2 hands to close it. Great knife and I really enjoy it, just learning what it's good for and where my limitations are with it

The Medford Slim Midi will definitely break in, I can flick mine open with one finger and it will just drop shut when I disengage the lock. If it is still too stiff, drop them a note. Amy Medford has taken good care of me, stellar customer service.

Back