Can the VG-10 take the heat?

So I'm ready to move up in the steel world.
I'll try to make this short and simple.

I'm looking at the Delica 4 in VG-10 steel.
It may at times see days in a sweaty pocket.
I don't want to carry a bottle of oil around with me.
I want to wipe it down with fresh clean tap water
and then when I come across a bottle of oil, I'll oil it.
This maybe 1-3 days later but I'll eventual oil her down.

Can all this be asked of VG-10?
I know it can of the Buck 420HC, I'm currently carrying
but I'd like to gain a little more time before I need to
break out the sharpener.

I even left the little Buck in a sweaty pocket over night just to see what would happen. Nothing, not a sign of rust any where. :)

BTW, I'll take the Delica out of the pockets over night.....If I have to :D
Ok, ok,...I will

VG10 seems to have a problem with humidity near salt water (i.e., the ocean) according to the esteemed fellowship. I would have to guess that sweat would do the same..

VG10 seems to have a problem with humidity near salt water (i.e., the ocean) according to the esteemed fellowship. I would have to guess that sweat would do the same..

Virtually any steel would have a problem in this setting (near salt water, sweat or not). The big thing is, when you take it out of your pocket each day, just make sure the blade is clean & DRY. Even doing something simple, like wiping down the blade with Windex or rubbing alcohol (both of which do a great job of removing the salty oils left by your fingers too), or WD-40, can make a big difference. Just make sure you do it each day, if sweat or salt water is a significant issue. And during the day, even if you can't apply some cleaner or rust preventive, just periodically wipe it dry.

Salt from the ocean, your sweat, finger oils or in blood (when used for hunting) dramatically accelerates rust. This is why keeping the blade CLEAN is so important.

Barring the above, you might consider one of the Spyderco Salt series knives (H1 steel), if rust is your primary concern.

Last edited:
Vg-10 is great steel. I live on the ocean (OK, strait, but still salt water) and VG-10 is fine. No, I don't carry a bottle of oil with me, or Windex or any other such thing. I like BG-42 and D2 and M4 better, but VG-10 is awesome steel. You owe it to yourself to give it a try.

Virtually any steel would have a problem in this setting (near salt water, sweat or not). The big thing is, when you take it out of your pocket each day, just make sure the blade is clean & DRY. Even doing something simple, like wiping down the blade with Windex or rubbing alcohol (both of which do a great job of removing the salty oils left by your fingers too), or WD-40, can make a big difference. Just make sure you do it each day, if sweat or salt water is a significant issue. And during the day, even if you can't apply some cleaner or rust preventive, just periodically wipe it dry.

Salt from the ocean, your sweat, finger oils or in blood (when used for hunting) dramatically accelerates rust. This is why keeping the blade CLEAN is so important.

Barring the above, you might consider one of the Spyderco Salt series knives (H1 steel), if rust is your primary concern.
+1 on this with substitution of 3in1 vs WD-40 or better yet mineral oil so it is not toxic..

I handle my VG-10 alot, it's always covered in finger prints and has no rust after 4 years. I'v also had my VG-10 Spydeco's left out side lying in the grass over night without any problems so don't worry about it. Wipe it off on your pants after you're done sweating for the day and you'll be fine.

Something I forgot to include in my earlier post, I do think VG-10 is a very good option for a rust-resistant steel. There are 'unusual' cases, sometimes, of folks who seem to have some particularly 'mean' sweat :)eek:), with the resultant rust issues (regardless of steel type). Some threads have been posted here on BF on that topic. My post was commenting on rust issues & steel in general. I think it's generally good practice to keep your blades clean & dry, regardless of steel type.

Dave

I was soaked with water on one day for about 4 hours, and my knife was wet (I carry IWB, so it's close to my body all the time.) When I got home, there were beads of water on the blade, but there was no sign of discoloration or rust. This was with a VG-10 Delica and a 13C26 Junkyard Dog.

I've carried Spydreco VG10 from Dallas (very hot, somewhat humid) to NE Arkansas (Moderately hot with brutal humidity) over the past 4 years and have had no rust issues. You'll be fine.

i have carried a vg10 for five years and no problems with sweat yet. if thats a concern get a knife with H1 steel or 440c but any steel will rust given the right conditions.

I live in Seattle. I work on boats. I almost never oil my knives. They don't rust. Hope that helps.

YMMV

My grandpa carried his old, carbon slipjoints everywhere from hot and humid Oklahoma ranches, to working on ships at sea. I'm pretty sure your vg10 will be just fine ;)

I work in a shipyard. I routinely carry an Endura in VG-10. There have been some issues but corrosion is just not one of them. I've gotten red rust once and black tarnish a few times; both wiped off with a paper towel. (For reference, rust on 420 is not uncommon around here. Did I mention that it's a shipyard?)

Don't worry about oil. Just wipe it dry. If you get salt water on it, rinse it off with fresh water and then wipe it dry. Hell, this even works for carbon steel. (Some of my work knives are low alloy.) I'm still not entirely sure why most people worry about corrosion as much as they do. Don't store it outside (or underwater) and wipe it off after use, and you'll be fine.

In my experience, VG10 will rust if exposed to sweat over time. It doesn't rust badly at all. In fact, I simply use my thumb nail to scrape off the tiny spots that form. I wouldn't take it into the ocean, but for anything else it seems like a fine steel.

VG-10 is an excellet steel. I live by the Atlantic and regulary use my delica as a food prep knife. Just wipe it down after washing the blade and you will be fine.

Last edited:
I believe I responded to you on Spyderco Forums regarding this same question. I got caught up in the discussion of H-1 so I will respond to your original query here.

I have used several knives in VG-10 commercial fishing and on a freshwater tug boat. The VG-10 was rust/corrosion free around freshwater, sweat and rain. After a few days of using it in a saltwater environment it developed surface rust stains which were easily removed. I never oil the blades of my knives (I am pretty lazy when it comes to knife maintenance :eek:) and only oil the pivots when they become too difficult to open with one hand. Looking at my Harpy now there is no surface rust or signs of corrosion on the blade. It has not been used in several weeks and was not cleaned after its last use.

You can't go wrong with a Delica as a working knife. VG-10 is an excellent steel that has suitable corrosion resistance and very good edge holding ability, it is fairly easy to touch up the edge in the field and should not be too hard to bring a dull edge back to a working level of sharpness. I would recommend VG-10 as a good compromise between the corrosion resistance of a steel with a higher level of chromium and the edge holding ability of a steel with a higher carbon content.

I believe I responded to you on Spyderco Forums regarding this same question. I got caught up in the discussion of H-1 so I will respond to your original query here.

Yeah, I posted this on the SpyderCo forum as well.
I just trying to get as many people input before buying my FIRST $30+ knife.....hahaa

And thanks for taking the time to post again here.
Every little bit of info helps.

I've been using VG-10 for about 10 years, and it's one of my favorite steels. I never oil my knives. I just use dish soap when they need it and then wipe them dry with tissue or a paper towel after use. I have lived by either the Atlantic or Pacific all my life and I've never had a problem with rust.

Back