1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Can't decide between Micarta inlay or plain Sebenza 21..

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by melotalk, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Ken44

Ken44

Jun 29, 2005
    The plain and the Micarta's are my favorites, and I carry both. I can never decide which I like the best.

They weight the same.
    They can also blast the handle and tumble the blade just like with the plain one's. It doesn't hurt the micarta, and it will come back looking as new.

2. kidcongo

kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    I was down by the ocean today and the black rocks and grey waves reminded me of that great knife I had in my pocket so took some glamour shots. I think I like my plain jane better as and EDC, but the Micarta scales were fitting the scenery really well today. The blade had a "Salt Water Raindrop" finish on this day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. OneWay

OneWay

May 7, 2013
    ^Wow, nice pictures!

4. FroOchie

FroOchie

Nov 30, 2012
    I had mine about a year, used it all the time and I couldn't get the Micarta to darken at all. It got a little darker with my hand oils but almost a yellowish tinge. I just dyed it and called it a day. It's been dark black for a month now, doesn't rub off on my hands no matter how wet they are and hasn't bled on my pants or anything else.

[​IMG]

5. raiderkilo

raiderkilo

Oct 26, 2007
    Plain

6. iamsmiling

iamsmiling

Nov 14, 2006
    My preference is the plain. It is slimmer in the pocket and, in my opinion, is a classic example of functional, elegant design. I found the inlays felt thicker in the pocket.

7. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I have both and am a micarta fan. The micarta, if being used for more than opening letters gets tacky from the heat of your hand during use. I find no difference with pocket carry between the knives, I don't wear tight fitting pants either. When the micarta gets slick, and it will with use, it can be washed with soap and water to give it the grip back.
    There is a price difference between the two, 410.00 for the plain, 485.00 for the micarta, from a authorized dealer.
    The other difference between the two is that the plain can be sent back to CRK for a spa treatment where the handles can be blasted to original finish, whereas the inlay will not be touched by CRK. So, if you incur wear on the micarta inlay, that's what you have.
    If you are interested in a micarta inlay, email me at [email protected], I have some pics you'd be interested in

8. mikepapa1

mikepapa1

Jun 8, 2013
    Its a tough call, I would go with both!! Then you could switch off every other day.. :)

9. frontline29

frontline29

Oct 7, 2008
    It's been awhile since Ive checked but, I'm pretty sure the Micarta Sebenzas are good for the refinish. I think it's only the wood inlayed Sebs with the satin finish scales that can't be reblasted.

10. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    I think the inlays handle better, but it is certain that the plain is slightly thinner if that is the overriding consideration.

11. Ken44

Ken44

Jun 29, 2005
    I was also told that by CRK.