Can't decide between Micarta inlay or plain Sebenza 21..

The plain and the Micarta's are my favorites, and I carry both. I can never decide which I like the best.

1. Do you want the Sebenza 21 to be as light as possible or heavier?
2. Does it matter to you that the finish on the Micarta version might not be restorable to mint condition via CRK's Spa treatment?

They weight the same.
They can also blast the handle and tumble the blade just like with the plain one's. It doesn't hurt the micarta, and it will come back looking as new.

I was down by the ocean today and the black rocks and grey waves reminded me of that great knife I had in my pocket so took some glamour shots. I think I like my plain jane better as and EDC, but the Micarta scales were fitting the scenery really well today. The blade had a "Salt Water Raindrop" finish on this day.

DSCF7386_zps5f2e6971.jpg

DSCF7373_zps988515e0.jpg

I had mine about a year, used it all the time and I couldn't get the Micarta to darken at all. It got a little darker with my hand oils but almost a yellowish tinge. I just dyed it and called it a day. It's been dark black for a month now, doesn't rub off on my hands no matter how wet they are and hasn't bled on my pants or anything else.

My preference is the plain. It is slimmer in the pocket and, in my opinion, is a classic example of functional, elegant design. I found the inlays felt thicker in the pocket.

I have both and am a micarta fan. The micarta, if being used for more than opening letters gets tacky from the heat of your hand during use. I find no difference with pocket carry between the knives, I don't wear tight fitting pants either. When the micarta gets slick, and it will with use, it can be washed with soap and water to give it the grip back.
There is a price difference between the two, 410.00 for the plain, 485.00 for the micarta, from a authorized dealer.
The other difference between the two is that the plain can be sent back to CRK for a spa treatment where the handles can be blasted to original finish, whereas the inlay will not be touched by CRK. So, if you incur wear on the micarta inlay, that's what you have.
If you are interested in a micarta inlay, email me at Slimmagoo60@gmail.com, I have some pics you'd be interested in

Its a tough call, I would go with both!! Then you could switch off every other day.. :)

I have both and am a micarta fan. The micarta, if being used for more than opening letters gets tacky from the heat of your hand during use. I find no difference with pocket carry between the knives, I don't wear tight fitting pants either. When the micarta gets slick, and it will with use, it can be washed with soap and water to give it the grip back.
There is a price difference between the two, 410.00 for the plain, 485.00 for the micarta, from a authorized dealer.

The other difference between the two is that the plain can be sent back to CRK for a spa treatment where the handles can be blasted to original finish, whereas the inlay will not be touched by CRK. So, if you incur wear on the micarta inlay, that's what you have.
If you are interested in a micarta inlay, email me at Slimmagoo60@gmail.com, I have some pics you'd be interested in

It's been awhile since Ive checked but, I'm pretty sure the Micarta Sebenzas are good for the refinish. I think it's only the wood inlayed Sebs with the satin finish scales that can't be reblasted.

I think the inlays handle better, but it is certain that the plain is slightly thinner if that is the overriding consideration.

It's been awhile since Ive checked but, I'm pretty sure the Micarta Sebenzas are good for the refinish. I think it's only the wood inlayed Sebs with the satin finish scales that can't be reblasted.

I was also told that by CRK.

Back