Carbon steel Rough Riders are here

Thanks for sharing! You're right,n the coating is a bit odd, from the pictures it looks almost like an even patina.

Maybe they will label the blades correctly now! I bought one a little while back and the blades were marked like the stainless versions.

I don't care for the blade coating either. I'd like to see RR just leave the blade bright or satin, but looking like steel.

Rich

Aren't these the same as the Colt carbon steel knives? They sure look the same.

How does the RR carbon steel compare to other carbon steels, like Case and such?
I have a Colt carbon steel canoe and a Case Canoe with carbon steel blades.
The Colt's blades are thicker than the Case, but seem to hold an edge just as well as the Case. Both are good slicers.

Aren't these the same as the Colt carbon steel knives? They sure look the same.

I think they are the same, just branded Rough Rider instead of Colt.

They look exactly the same. The package is even identical. The Colts are good knives, but a bit big.

But what's the point?? :confused:

If you like carbon, presumably you like patina and change in colour? So why coat it?

If you don't like patina/rust/maintenance you opt for stainless steels.

What next? It's a bit like coating a stainless blade with rust oxides!:D:eek:

I agree with Will's opinion on this issue. I bought a Colt canoe with G-10 covers and the Ti-coated carbon steel blades, and I think it's a very pleasing knife, but I could never understand the point of coating the blades.
SZVp9e8.jpg

But maybe it's to protect the vendors from the wrath of unsuspecting/uninformed customers who are unpleasantly surprised by the amount of care that carbon steel requires. I Skyped with my daughter in Spain on Sunday, and she had been to several knife shops looking for a gift for me. Invariably, when she announced that she'd like to see carbon steel blades, the sales staff earnestly tried to change her mind, or simply refused to sell her anything other than stainless! :eek::rolleyes::confused:

- GT

Any performance updates on Rough Rider or Colt's carbon steel. I have an itch for a RR Moose Trapper. Thanks,
Frank.

I think they coat them because of rust possibility in shipping from China. I suppose they could just coat them with grease. I remember watching the old SMKW show when one of the hosts was asked about doing RR in carbon steel and he replied they hadn't come up with a way around the rust in transit issue. I have the Colt in a trapper and canoe and like them. You are right they are the same as the Colts. I was at SMKW when they lost the Colt license and was told they were going to fold some of the Colt knives into the RR and Marbles lines. This is an example of one and another, the Colt camp knife now has red scales instead of blue and is in the Marbles line.

Last edited:
My two Rough Riders with Ti coating. Trapper with Black Bone RR1780 and Moose with G-10 RR1569. Both are marked as 440 steel.

VdkTXnz.jpg

ElKLafp.jpg

X2gkVZM.jpg

JQCkBdr.jpg

I recently picked up a Sowbelly and a Wharncliffe Whittler, yellow Delrin, uncoated blades :thumbsup:

Back