Carbon steel Rough Riders are here

I recently picked up a Sowbelly and a Wharncliffe Whittler, yellow Delrin, uncoated blades :thumbsup:
Rough Rider has a series of uncoated carbon steel knives. It's the "Classic Carbon" series.
I have a canoe and a sowbelly stockman from the Classic Carbon series @PaulS. mentioned, and as @Jack Black pointed out, the knives in this series have uncoated carbon steel blades and yellow synthetic handles. Here are some pics of mine.
Canoe
carbcanoe.mark.main.jpg
carbcanoe.backsprings.jpg

Sowbelly stockman
carbsow.mark.closed.jpg
carbsow.mark.3open.jpg

any idea what steel they are using?
I'm no steel expert (I can't tell the difference between what Imperial USA used in the '60s and Case's current CV), but I can see no difference from my other carbon steel knives in terms of edge-holding or development of patina. I plan to get a 4" single-blade toothpick and/or a muskrat version from Rough RYder's Classic Carbon series, and maybe one of those Wharncliffe whittlers, too.

- GT

This is what I really ordered. Wharncliffe Black Titanium RR1769. It is a single blade knife, it will be my first Wharncliffe bladed knife.

Got to wait on these knifes. My wife made me take a sabbatical on knife buying in 2019!

Glad to see this. I didn't really like the titanium coated blades, and all of that batch was too big. I've just been on you tube and there are a few of the classic carbon which are a little smaller. I'm eagerly looking forward to a few even smaller or (drum roll), a Barlow.

My latest Ti coated knife. A Wharncliffe (RR1769) with bone scales.

p54aWBc.jpg

mk9ebZI.jpg

My two Rough Riders with Ti coating. Trapper with Black Bone RR1780 and Moose with G-10 RR1569. Both are marked as 440 steel.

VdkTXnz.jpg

ElKLafp.jpg

X2gkVZM.jpg

JQCkBdr.jpg
Huh ... I just looked close at my RR1569.
The "440" on mine is missing the top 1/3 of the 4's and the bottom half of the 0.
I thought it was a squirrel or something running left.
Your "440" is a lot clearer.
Could these be from the batches before the correction was made?
I remember when the Colt carbon steel were switched over to Rough Rider, they were made in a different factory, and had a "440A" tang stamp, even though they were carbon steel.
The wrong tang stamp was corrected after SMKW became aware of the problem.
The blades are laser etched. Maybe the person running the etching machine forgot to take the "440" out of the etch program after etching a batch of 440 blades?
(I think it's a laser etch ... the etch catches on my thumbnail and SAK pen blade, at any rate)

Last edited:
I also believe that all my Ti coated are High Carbon but they are all mismarked as 440. Some of the boxes say High Carbon on them.

Well I just ordered a classic carbon muskrat, Im excited! Any usage reports from those on here who has been using them? How do they hold up? How do they hold an edge?

Update: I got my carbon muskrat, and Im sending it back. Both blades are bent. Like bananas. Its bad. I also had a stainless come in with it that also had a bent blade though it wasnt nearly as bad. The other knife I got was a strawberry bone moose that is almost perfect. Its incredible! RR needs to fix their QC...

Last edited:
I have the classic carbon sowbelly. Last weekend I forced a patina (lime) and sharpened it up. It's been with me most of the week at work. Here are my thoughts so far.
Pros:
Nice stiff pulls. They were too stiff out of the box. But flushing the joints, oil, and use have them working nicely.
Half stops.
Edge retention is pretty good. Comparable to the RR stainless.
Cons:
I personally do not like the scales on these. They scratch and stain easily. Hopefully these will be available in more cover options.
The clip and sheepsfoot blades have developed a small amount of blade play. Not enough yet to address. This concerns me because I gave my dad a 4" RR stockman a couple years back. After he carried it for a few months it had severe side to side play.
Overall I'm pleased with this one. If they put some different covers on the classic carbon series I'll likely get a couple more.
1021509619_o.jpg

I have the classic carbon sowbelly. Last weekend I forced a patina (lime) and sharpened it up. It's been with me most of the week at work. Here are my thoughts so far.
Pros:
Nice stiff pulls. They were too stiff out of the box. But flushing the joints, oil, and use have them working nicely.
Half stops.
Edge retention is pretty good. Comparable to the RR stainless.
Cons:
I personally do not like the scales on these. They scratch and stain easily. Hopefully these will be available in more cover options.
The clip and sheepsfoot blades have developed a small amount of blade play. Not enough yet to address. This concerns me because I gave my dad a 4" RR stockman a couple years back. After he carried it for a few months it had severe side to side play.
Overall I'm pleased with this one. If they put some different covers on the classic carbon series I'll likely get a couple more.
1021509619_o.jpg
Great rundown of your experience with this series. I think for the price point I may just give one a shot.

I hope a lot more guys will do some pro/con reviews. Even allowing for curiosity a low price, I need incentive to add anything to the pile.

Back