"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

They make Shinola watches. I thought it a strange choice of name, since it invokes that old saying for me. Maybe it is a fading generation thing.
The saying was alluded to in Steve Martin's The Jerk.

Anybody tried Case's new assisted opener?

This little funnel was about a mile from my house, a much larger one followed us home from dinner Thursday...

Jerry, We generally don't see those in Central N.Y. I have to say I'm glad of that. Great picture!

Peregrin Peregrin

Not a frequent occurrence in our area. Nothing touched down. We have a little strip shopping center that was hit about 20 years ago a mile away. Took the roof off of it and the Ford dealership. The shopping center is now called tornado alley. There were some bad ones in the 20's and 30's.

The vernacular is for those who are lazy. A truly good insult requires careful thought. It should be phrased such that each individual word could be spoken in polite company, but taken together the phrase removes the recipient's hide.
A man like Garrison Keillor could remove hide and never blush, even in polite company.

The vernacular is for those who are lazy. A truly good insult requires careful thought. It should be phrased such that each individual word could be spoken in polite company, but taken together the phrase removes the recipient's hide.
A man like Garrison Keillor could remove hide and never blush, even in polite company.
So could Churchill.

Received some disheartening news at work today that may force me to find a new job, too.

Still, I have a bit of a pep in my step because there will be a box sitting at home waiting for me! :D
... 2018 has been unkind in many ways to me, but it has provided many valuable life lessons that will surely benefit me down the road. ...
Sorry to hear about the negative work situation, Shawn. :( But I admire your optimistic reaction to less-than-ideal circumstances! :thumbsup::thumbsup: BTW, what was in the box you were looking forward to finding at home??

I just had to post this. Earlier today I bought a knife off of the exchange from Alan (@joeradza ) I saw the knife @ 12:01 It was paid for packaged and shipped and I received a picture of the shipping receipt from Alan @12:46. That was 45 minutes from the time I saw the sales thread until I received the proof of shipping. :cool:o_O That has to be some kind of record for the exchange. DUH, I think Alan will get a positive feedback. By the way I bought the beautiful Case Bone Stag Teardrop in Alan's picture.

20180926_092520-1024x960-jpg.992676
I bought the Copperlock right above yours :cool:
Congrats on the knife purchases, Randy & John! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Both knives are VERY handsome, as I'd expect if they belonged to Alan! ;):thumbsup::cool: I wonder if Alan watched Mr. Rogers when his kids were young, and related to Mr. McFeely and "Speedy Delivery!" :rolleyes::D

Ditto from NY. Maybe it was just a generational thing.
I heard all of the various vulgar descriptions of ignorance mentioned here when I was growing up in Michigan (NOT applied to ME, of course! :rolleyes:), but my Dad wouldn't have let their use by my brothers and me go unpunished. ;) We usually said something like, "He don't know nuthin about nuthin!" If you can follow through the triple negatives, I think it actually means what we hoped it meant. (I think you could translate it as, "He knows something about nothing" or "There's nothing he knows something about." :rolleyes:)

This little funnel was about a mile from my house, a much larger one followed us home from dinner Thursday...

Fascinating but frightening photo! :eek:

- GT

I loved Mister Rogers as a kid, and Seseme Street, but part of the fascination to me was the environment they were set. Cities and suburbs were totally foreign to me! Closest I came to a "neighborhood" was staying with my cousins or grandmother in "coal camp" communities. I grew up on a dirt road 4 miles from the nearest pavement, we had 2 close neighbors, neither of which you could see their house directly from ours. When they showed clips of kids playing in the city I felt bad for them, told my Mom " those poor kids gotta play in the road, they ain't got no yard" (some scene of some kids playing ball in the street, I think). Probably if those kids could have seen me, and my sister and cousins playing in the dirt by our log barn with a cow in the background they would have thought " those poor mountain kids, ain't got nothing but dirt to play with" lol

Back