"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

It's been 105 degrees here the last few days. But that's kind of typical for this time of year.
What made it tough is that our air conditioner quit on us. It was getting over 90 degrees in the house. :eek:
We finally got the A/C fixed and everything is good now. :cool::thumbsup:

It's been 105 degrees here the last few days. But that's kind of typical for this time of year.
What made it tough is that our air conditioner quit on us. It was getting over 90 degrees in the house. :eek:
We finally got the A/C fixed and everything is good now. :cool::thumbsup:
Dang John, that's rough! They always seem to go out at the worst possible time! Was it a swamp cooler or a hvac unit?

I don't see many images of antique sgian dubhs, and I'm dubious of the modern ones. Dirks were made from the pointy ends of broken swords, but is there any reason why a 3" utility/holdout knife should have bits of fuller or toothy back on it?

I may need to get a sgian dubh, dirk, claybeg, and claymore after all. And bagpipes. My cousin's found us a Scottish ancestress. With a name like Isabel Princes[sic] van Scotland, I don't expect to find a tartan for her, though.

I don't see many images of antique sgian dubhs, and I'm dubious of the modern ones. Dirks were made from the pointy ends of broken swords, but is there any reason why a 3" utility/holdout knife should have bits of fuller or toothy back on it?

Most of the modern ones are "tourist pieces". Paul, user name pmew, who lives in Scotland, was determined to get a functional authentic sgian dubh a few years ago. He ended up having one made for him by a custom maker who specializes in them.
I don't think the picture will show if I quote it, but if you go to the post below you will see that piece of gorgeousness, along with the name of the maker.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ixed-blade-knife.1172542/page-2#post-13427968

Add:
More info on the knife here plus several posts and links to information on sgian dubhs
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sgian-dubh.1066550/

Last edited:
Most of the modern ones are "tourist pieces".
knarfeng knarfeng , thanks for the links. I'd forgotten pmew's quest.

My guess would be that the old using knives got used up and tossed or lost, and that modern costumiers have tried to scale down the dirk.
This is all Stone has on them in his monumental tome. "A small straight-bladed dagger with no guard":
vW0BgQu.jpg

There's a GR blade that would be pretty close unless too thin.

The one pictured looks like it may have a narrow groove at the back. Maybe that helped straighten the blade against the drawing out of the edge.

Last edited:
Most of the modern ones are "tourist pieces". Paul, user name pmew, who lives in Scotland, was determined to get a functional authentic a few years ago. He ended up having one made for him by a custom maker who specializes in them.
I don't think the picture will show if I quote it, but if you go to the post below you will see that piece of gorgeousness, along with the name of the maker.

Here you go knarfeng knarfeng - A piece of knife "gorgeousness" :thumbsup:

Ray

Sgian Dubh Knife & Photo courtesy of @pmew

Last edited:
Hey folks how are ya? I’m looking for anyone who might have information about Supratentorial, aka Jake. Hasn’t posted in close to a year, and well, hoping nothing is wrong, but outside of writing a letter, I’ve no idea how to get ahold of him. Any knowledge would be appreciated , I know a few folks know him better than me...
Thanks, Neal

Hey folks how are ya? I’m looking for anyone who might have information about Supratentorial, aka Jake. Hasn’t posted in close to a year, and well, hoping nothing is wrong, but outside of writing a letter, I’ve no idea how to get ahold of him. Any knowledge would be appreciated , I know a few folks know him better than me...
Thanks, Neal
Hey Neal! Glad to see you back, my friend. Haven't seen Jake around for awhile. Hope all is well.

Hey Ramrodmb Ramrodmb ! Gary And Frank mentioned he is known for occasional extended hiatuses, for other activities, so fingers crossed. Good to...read:D from you! Lol
Thanks, Neal

Do I have to wear it with a kilt? And if so, will an Irish (McCarthy) tartan do?

The knife in the stocking stuff is just some cod och-aye-the-noo revisionism by the toadying lickspittle Sir Walter Scott, who invented the modern interpretation of 'Highland Dress' for the visit to Scotland of King George IV in 1822 (he also built my house incidentally). As others have noted Sgian Dubh is Scots Gaelic for 'Black Knife', but that didn't mean the knife was coloured black, it was hidden, most commonly in the armpit :thumbsup:

Back