"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Moments after the eclipse, the busiest street in the county was completely deserted...

Bpj2EBQ.jpg

...then this was spotted in a nearby alley.

hrSSaMV.jpg

early in April 2024

Last edited:
Well that was interesting. In 2017 we were in the path of totality. At full eclipse, the birds stopped singing and the insects began, then when the sun re-emerged, the birds started up, and the insects quieted down. We were in the 95% coverage area today, so I was expecting a dusk type of light level. I wondered if the birds and insects would do their thing again. I was quite surprised at how bright it was with only 5% of the sun showing. It was much brighter than dusk. It wasn't full daylight, but it was still day. The birds and the insects did not react in any noticeable way. Both Ralph and myself observed that the light had an odd quality to it. Not the type of light one sees on a typical day. The closest I can think of is when there are green clouds swirling around thinking about becoming tornados. Not the same color tone, but the same type of oddness to it.
Like I said, interesting 🤓
I can be such a nerd 😀

Well that was interesting. In 2017 we were in the path of totality. At full eclipse, the birds stopped singing and the insects began, then when the sun re-emerged, the birds started up, and the insects quieted down. We were in the 95% coverage area today, so I was expecting a dusk type of light level. I wondered if the birds and insects would do their thing again. I was quite surprised at how bright it was with only 5% of the sun showing. It was much brighter than dusk. It wasn't full daylight, but it was still day. The birds and the insects did not react in any noticeable way. Both Ralph and myself observed that the light had an odd quality to it. Not the type of light one sees on a typical day. The closest I can think of is when there are green clouds swirling around thinking about becoming tornados. Not the same color tone, but the same type of oddness to it.
I can be such a nerd 😀
The best description I've heard is that 95% eclipse is like a cool sunset, and totality is like the sky broke.

I can be such a nerd 😀
Mike, I was surprised by the brightness as well, even when my "eclipse glasses" showed just the tiniest crescent of sun showing.
I walked to a little pond at the south end of a nature preserve on campus, because I knew the sun in the southern, cloudless sky would be beaming right down on it. (There's also a nice bench there, and I hardly ever see any people there, which was true today.) I went there without a coat, even though there was a stiff breeze, since it was supposed to be 70˚F. But I was getting quite chilly after staying there for 15 minutes on either side of maximum coverage (3:11pm EDT where I was). I wonder if the covered sun not providing as much radiant heating was making me feel cold? The sun was almost as bright as usual but not as warm as usual when 94% covered?
Glad I had the time and opportunity to experience it!

- GT

I can be such a nerd 😀
That pretty much mirrors my experience of the event today, at 87.9 % eclipse. An odd light, and the shadows cast by the still mostly bare tree branches seemed different somehow. We had a mix of clouds and sun during the event.

Mike, I was surprised by the brightness as well, even when my "eclipse glasses" showed just the tiniest crescent of sun showing.
I walked to a little pond at the south end of a nature preserve on campus, because I knew the sun in the southern, cloudless sky would be beaming right down on it. (There's also a nice bench there, and I hardly ever see any people there, which was true today.) I went there without a coat, even though there was a stiff breeze, since it was supposed to be 70˚F. But I was getting quite chilly after staying there for 15 minutes on either side of maximum coverage (3:11pm EDT where I was). I wonder if the covered sun not providing as much radiant heating was making me feel cold? The sun was almost as bright as usual but not as warm as usual when 94% covered?
Glad I had the time and opportunity to experience it!

- GT
I didn't notice the temperature drop, but I noticed the increase when the sun was back to full. I'm sure that accounted for your chill.

We had a steady 48 degrees in Colorado with over 80% obstruction. I snapped a pic with my eclipse glasses with some difficulty, as my phone didn't want to focus, nor did my Leica large format digital camera. The day got darker, but with a blueish white tint, not like a warm sunset or sunrise, because the angle of the sun was higher in the sky.

My wife was camping down in Texas with her friends, and so she got to experience totality. They'll be halfway back tomorrow night, and home the next.

KI3K5Lg.jpg

egmKZQE.jpg

I prepared well for the eclipse, but unfortunately, the clouds spoiled the experience. We were able to see a few glimpses of the event, but the totality was not visible. It did get dark, and the birds flew back to their homes, making the environment very quiet. However, due to the cloudy weather, we couldn't feel any temperature change. It's fascinating to imagine what it would have been like for ancient people to witness a total eclipse. Nonetheless, I managed to take a few pictures with my smartphone, but my filtered camera couldn't capture anything as it was not bright enough.
hcvBQ2l.jpg

S4ybMuy.jpg

I prepared well for the eclipse, but unfortunately, the clouds spoiled the experience. We were able to see a few glimpses of the event, but the totality was not visible. It did get dark, and the birds flew back to their homes, making the environment very quiet. However, due to the cloudy weather, we couldn't feel any temperature change. It's fascinating to imagine what it would have been like for ancient people to witness a total eclipse. Nonetheless, I managed to take a few pictures with my smartphone, but my filtered camera couldn't capture anything as it was not bright enough.
hcvBQ2l.jpg

S4ybMuy.jpg
Gary, very cool none the less!

That pretty much mirrors my experience of the event today, at 87.9 % eclipse. An odd light, and the shadows cast by the still mostly bare tree branches seemed different somehow. We had a mix of clouds and sun during the event.
We had scattered clouds as well, but got to see most of it. The distortion of shadows is unsettling. What should be straight lines are curved.

The most amazing part (aside from the black hole in the sky) was just as the tiniest part of the sun reappeared after totality. The light turned an amazing pink/gold, and I saw the "shadow bands" on the ground. There are diferent theories about the phenomenon, possibly light from the sun's corona passing through the earth's atmosphere or magnetic fields. It looks like faint, wavy lines moving on the pavement. The best way I can describe it is like shadows cast by wavy heated air you see above a toaster.

Think of the sun as the toaster of the gods and the eclipse as the the idiot who sticks a knife in to get the toast...of the gods...HEEAAYY WAITASECOND!...thats me every morning.
On a less ethereal note...how do i use imgur...of the gods... because I'm swearing at them a lot ...all I get is irrelevant dog and cat pictures etc....tried posting.....rassen frassen

Think of the sun as the toaster of the gods and the eclipse as the the idiot who sticks a knife in to get the toast...of the gods...HEEAAYY WAITASECOND!...thats me every morning.
On a less ethereal note...how do i use imgur...of the gods... because I'm swearing at them a lot ...all I get is irrelevant dog and cat pictures etc....tried posting.....rassen frassen
Bypass all that junk by just saving the Imgur uploader

If you create an account, you can click on your initial in the upper right that gives you a menu for your stuff.
Bypass all that junk by just saving the Imgur uploader
Interesting. I don't know what that means.
I won't tinker with what I've got until I have trouble with it.

If you create an account, you can click on your initial in the upper right that gives you a menu for your stuff.

Interesting. I don't know what that means.
I won't tinker with what I've got until I have trouble with it.
Here ya go. Click on this link, https://img.doerig.dev/ upload photo, click on copy link, then in comments, click on link icon and paste link in drop down

Back