"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I do a bit of fishing, and instead of using a line snipper, I always use a traditional knife.

050F34DF-5572-4DFD-8457-CA354869AB3D.jpg

409CCE76-CB00-456A-B722-FF92081B9246.jpg

Sometimes things go awry.
E2480810-3C1B-4AF9-8069-C485100A29B3.jpg

I'm mostly a bass fisherman, largemouth specifically, but any black bass will suit me. How about everyone else?

Those are some nice ones, beautiful!

I catch an occasional crappie while bass fishing, they hit crankbaits sometimes.

81-C867-F7-A06-F-4-A0-A-941-C-4-AF17250-E995.jpg

This one hit a gold colored squarebill like the one pictured above. My friend and I found it the day prior, and I caught that crappie. Just after the picture was taken, two girls about 8-9 and their dad walked by and the girls were enthralled. They asked tons of questions and asked to touch the fish.

The next day me and my buddy were fishing again, and that guy and his girls came out with brand new zebcos/box/lures. We showed them some basics and gave them some roostertails and beetle spins. The dad caught a bass. It was bout 50º and windy, but there was no complaints, those girls were dedicated.

Welp, I opened the can of worms with my last post, might as fish.

Last fall I went on a church sanctioned hayride. I didn't go to the church, but new some people that did and had attended some of the activities when my own church schedule allowed it. Well, This gent I sat next to told me the history of the country we were riding through, and mostly it was pretty interesting. As we came to a nice lake, that is somewhat hidden by a large hill, I asked who owns that and If he thought that I might be granted permission to fish there. I was told, the name (which at the time I forgot) and that no, he doesn't let hardly anyone fish.

Well, I ended up starting to attend this church, and Saturday was a huge community yardsale. I ended up talking to the sister of the guy that I talked to on the hayride. I asked her about the lake... she said that she thought the owner might (as in there was a possibility) grant me permission. I was told he also was a Christian. It was too late when we went back by there.

Well Sunday, after service I was talking to the pastor and told him about it, he didn't have any idea. Well, I felt it was a good time to stop by. I asked the pastor to say a prayer over me, which he did. I went to see the owner of the lake named Ron. After knocking a while, it took him a bit to come out, but after a few minutes of conversion I was granted permission to fish.

I knew beforehand that he was a police officer, so I thanked him for his service to the community. I informed him I was a catch and release angler, and that I wouldn't leave any garbage, and that I'd remove any I found. That I wouldn't bring others without asking first, and it would be only me and my family (wife and 4 year old and newborn).

I stopped up the drive, and was going to walk over and test the waters a bit, and a police officer came up and asked if I had permission to be fishing there. I said yes, and he was surprised, we chatted a minute and it turns out it was the owner's son.

So I fished about an hour, and caught 3 bass, and had 2 other strikes. When I returned to the car, the wife said a younger woman came by and questioned what we were doing. My wife said, my husband is fishing. and the girl was surprised when she found out we had permission.

So the Lord has blessed me to find a good fishing spot, right next to church. Furthermore, it's not just a spot, but a spot that very few people are granted permission to fish. So God has blessed me and given me favor and I Praise Him for it! I have permission to come fish anytime.

I didn't have my phone for pics, the bass I caught, of the 3, the largest weighted 1 pound 9 ounces. The other two were probably legal length of 12". They were all caught on a squarebill crankbait. Then I had one miss on the crank. And I had a strike on my popper but missed the hookset there.

This was Mike's post.
"I'm good. Sorry been out in it all day. All of our historic downtown is gone. Many friends / family lost everything. About a 5 mile run about 3 city blocks wide with extended area of wind damage. My post office is gone - that will complicate things."

This was Mike's post.
"I'm good. Sorry been out in it all day. All of our historic downtown is gone. Many friends / family lost everything. About a 5 mile run about 3 city blocks wide with extended area of wind damage. My post office is gone - that will complicate things."
Thanks for passing that on, Carl. My prayers and best wishes go out to all those affected by this horrible weather.

This was Mike's post.
Glad Mike is OK!! Sorry about his community though!! Sounds pretty awful!!

Back