"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Jack Black Jack Black Cambertree Cambertree @Will Power I remember all of those cars with the exception of the orange three wheeler. We have been long time fans of British TV series over the last forty years. I had a buddy that bought one of those 3 wheeled USPS Mail vehicles, he towed me behind his VW Microbus at around 50 MPH, I was screaming at him the entire seventeen miles back to his house.

Jack Black Jack Black Cambertree Cambertree @Will Power I remember all of those cars with the exception of the orange three wheeler. We have been long time fans of British TV series over the last forty years. I had a buddy that bought one of those 3 wheeled USPS Mail vehicles, he towed me behind his VW Microbus at around 50 MPH, I was screaming at him the entire seventeen miles back to his house.

LOL, good one JB!

Of course, Prof Heinkel himself drove something more like this:

IMG_1281.JPG

Supercharged 5.4lt, straight eight, 1936 Benz, 540K cabriolet.

In fact, this was Heinkel's personal car. It has a blue grey paint job, underneath and note the flag brackets. It was thought to have been used as a staff car, around Munich during WW2.

It was imported to Australia in 1989, and immediately involved in legal proceedings by Customs (regarding its stated value) and eventually seized and auctioned off.

It was bought by a Melbourne chocolate magnate.

Apparently it gets just over four miles to the gallon, with supercharger engaged, and twice that, without it! (60 litres/100km with supercharger!)

Certainly some interesting old cars, gents!

Although I didn't see anything quite as interesting as those, I did enjoy the variety of different cars that I saw while we were in England this past week. I enjoyed seeing the different makes that we don't have in the US, as well the general smallness of the majority of cars on the road (which I completely understood and appreciated once I had driven a bit myself!). After a couple days, I started seeing cars that would be considered average-sized or even a bit small in the States and thinking, "What a preposterous choice! How could you even get around in that thing?" :D

I still see them from time to time here Will, saw one just the other day in fact :) They were very popular with social-workers here in the early 1980's! :D ;) :thumbsup:

I haven't seen one of these for a while! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

1200px-Reliant_Robin_Green.jpg

Jack, have you seen the segment from Top Gear where Clarkson drives a Reliant Robin around Sheffield? It's one of my favorites. :D (If not, here's a link to the video.)

Cambertree Cambertree it amazes me how some cars could be so far ahead of their time in the depths of the depression. My father in law wanted a vintage Rolls or Bentley so bad he could taste it, he scoured Hemmings for years never finding anything remotely reasonable.

Cambertree Cambertree it amazes me how some cars could be so far ahead of their time in the depths of the depression. My father in law wanted a vintage Rolls or Bentley so bad he could taste it, he scoured Hemmings for years never finding anything remotely reasonable.

Yes, definitely.

There's a Bentley in the same collection as that 1936 Benz, you might be interested to see then, JB.

hOcONxA.jpg

xCHNBoN.jpg

k1kgIu9.jpg

Also one of only three existing 1903 Peugeot, Type 56s (the other two are in the Peugeot Museum, and the National Automobile Museum in France).

pfyfAuU.jpg

k7maRMS.jpg

I might as well share a few other pics from that collection - I know there's a few of you guys who dig classic automobiles.

1896 Benz Velo:
uKLkpgy.jpg

1903 curved dash Oldsmobile:
nGlGzhe.jpg

1922 Unic, from France:
5jETZiD.jpg

1924 Vauxhall 30-98 OE:
fMbNcPT.jpg

1936 Riley Kestrel:
g1cuQfO.jpg

Racing MG TA:
0Z5c29q.jpg

Aston Martin DBS:
iiXHzjA.jpg

Fiat (sorry, didn't record further details on this and the next one):
ANtahaa.jpg

Aquila Italiana, Italy:
veoJHKW.jpg

Cambertree Cambertree lovely vintage cars.

There was an REO dealership in my small hometown around 1905 or so, prior to 1900 it had been a buggy dealership. It eventually became a small GM dealership that stayed in business until the late 1980's. I thought it interesting that the family that owned the buggy dealership moved to automobiles instead of fighting the ingress of horseless carriages.

My wife's family was crazy for British cars, they owned four vintage Jaguars at one time. I learned a lot about Lucas electrics and SU carbs.

Since the 8-hour time difference after returning from England has me awake a few hours before I have any need to be, I figured I would post some photos from the rest of our trip.

On Wednesday, we drove over to Stonehenge.

vyW6Orp.jpg

We had lunch in Salisbury, and stopped in a couple antique shops (which sadly did not turn up any interesting old knives), then we drove down to the coast to walk along the beach at Durdle Door.

1oTU0tB.jpg

I thought that the wet pebbles made for a nice knife-photo backdrop; you just have to make sure you get your photo before the waves make it back up to those same rocks again! :D

gHGzNZG.jpg

Thursday and Friday we mostly stayed around Bath, and enjoyed getting to spend time with my brother, sister-in-law and niece. On Thursday evening we left the kids with a babysitter and headed down a pub called The Raven in Bath. The beer was good, and the pie was excellent!

K0ET405.jpg

sVB8L4W.jpg

72VHwGy.jpg

On Saturday we drove to the city of Wells, where they were having a market day. If you've seen the movie Hot Fuzz (which was filmed in Wells), you might recognize the market square and the Church of St. Cuthbert.

0IbJoWM.jpg

JA9FVwQ.jpg

Wells Cathedral is quite impressive.

9tPos9T.jpg

Saturday evening we had a picnic in Royal Victoria Park in Bath, where we got to watch some hot air balloons taking off.

6CypQiR.jpg

GYTD2xI.jpg

Sunday, our last full day in England, was fairly uneventful, mostly spent relaxing around the house and packing. We left my brother's place early Monday morning to head for the airport, and made it home just over 24 hours later. It was a long day. o_O

We had a fantastic trip, and it was great to be able to spend so much time with my brother and his family in their new home. We were in England for a total of 9 days, and it went by in a flash! The tentative plan is go back for Christmas next year, something I'm definitely looking forward to. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Since the 8-hour time difference after returning from England has me awake a few hours before I have any need to be, I figured I would post some photos from the rest of our trip.

vyW6Orp.jpg

We had lunch in Salisbury, and stopped in a couple antique shops (which sadly did not turn up any interesting old knives), then we drove down to the coast to walk along the beach at Durdle Door.

1oTU0tB.jpg

I thought that the wet pebbles made for a nice knife-photo backdrop; you just have to make sure you get your photo before the waves make it back up to those same rocks again! :D

gHGzNZG.jpg

Thursday and Friday we mostly stayed around Bath, and enjoyed getting to spend time with my brother, sister-in-law and niece. On Thursday evening we left the kids with a babysitter and headed down a pub called The Raven in Bath. The beer was good, and the pie was excellent!

K0ET405.jpg

sVB8L4W.jpg

72VHwGy.jpg

On Saturday we drove to the city of Wells, where they were having a market day. If you've seen the movie Hot Fuzz (which was filmed in Wells), you might recognize the market square and the Church of St. Cuthbert.

0IbJoWM.jpg

JA9FVwQ.jpg

Wells Cathedral is quite impressive.

9tPos9T.jpg

Saturday evening we had a picnic in Royal Victoria Park in Bath, where we got to watch some hot air balloons taking off.

6CypQiR.jpg

GYTD2xI.jpg

Sunday, our last full day in England, was fairly uneventful, mostly spent relaxing around the house and packing. We left my brother's place early Monday morning to head for the airport, and made it home just over 24 hours later. It was a long day. o_O

We had a fantastic trip, and it was great to be able to spend so much time with my brother and his family in their new home. We were in England for a total of 9 days, and it went by in a flash! The tentative plan is go back for Christmas next year, something I'm definitely looking forward to. :thumbsup:
Thank you for posting pictures of your trip Barrett . I have enjoyed them very much .

Harry

I've heard that disabled people in Britain used to have three wheeled cars called Invalid Carriages. Here the disabled got three wheeled mopeds, you had to be hardy and plenty agile to use one!!:D Rather defeated the purpose....:cool:

Yes indeed, they only came in one colour, and there was always a row of them alongside the pitch at football matches!

_68436167_ac_invacar2.jpg

KH-UihX-No_QJASuVMuRQQ117328

Thanks for thinking of me Chin, but I am in the DFW area and am quite safe. My daughter in Austin is on high ground and out of any danger. The flooding down on the coast is beyond belief, I have seen a bunch of pictures from students and their folks whose relatives are living through this mess. The scale of it is beyond my taking in, a great sadness to see so many lives so profoundly changed in such a short time or lost forever. Our prayers are with those who are enduring this, and those who are assisting them.

Good to hear you're OK Bart, terrible event :thumbsup:

A post WW2 Heinkel Kabine, with the single wheel at the rear:

View attachment 757855 View attachment 757856 View attachment 757857 View attachment 757867

This one was made in Dundalk, Ireland in 1960.

Considering Heinkel's 'PR problems' in Britain, these models were apparently sold as 'Trojans' in the UK. (A veiled Teutonic joke, perhaps?)

I daresay if you told the Heinkel engineers who designed and produced the first jet engine fighter plane in 1941, that they'd be making these twenty years later, they would have laughed at you!

Hilarious Chin! :D I have a mate from Dundalk, but (strangely) he's never mentioned them! :D :thumbsup:

That was the Bond Bug JB, it was VERY unsuccesful! :D Anyone over about 5ft 4" basically had their knees next to their ears, and had to put a foot on the dashboard to change gear! :D Of course we also have to show the Sinclair C5! :D :thumbsup:

getty-clive-sinclair-c5-alexandra-palace-xlarge.jpg

LOL, good one JB!

Of course, Prof Heinkel himself drove something more like this:

View attachment 757893

Supercharged 5.4lt, straight eight, 1936 Benz, 540K cabriolet.

In fact, this was Heinkel's personal car. It has a blue grey paint job, underneath and note the flag brackets. It was thought to have been used as a staff car, around Munich during WW2.

It was imported to Australia in 1989, and immediately involved in legal proceedings by Customs (regarding its stated value) and eventually seized and auctioned off.

It was bought by a Melbourne chocolate magnate.

Apparently it gets just over four miles to the gallon, with supercharger engaged, and twice that, without it! (60 litres/100km with supercharger!)

Very nice! :D :thumbsup:

Certainly some interesting old cars, gents!

Although I didn't see anything quite as interesting as those, I did enjoy the variety of different cars that I saw while we were in England this past week. I enjoyed seeing the different makes that we don't have in the US, as well the general smallness of the majority of cars on the road (which I completely understood and appreciated once I had driven a bit myself!). After a couple days, I started seeing cars that would be considered average-sized or even a bit small in the States and thinking, "What a preposterous choice! How could you even get around in that thing?" :D

Jack, have you seen the segment from Top Gear where Clarkson drives a Reliant Robin around Sheffield? It's one of my favorites. :D (If not, here's a link to the video.)

Thanks for the link my friend, and glad you got back home alright. I have actually been across Sheffield in a Reliant Robin! There are some steel works in that video! :D :thumbsup: Cars have actually got bigger here in the past couple of decades! :D

_48969143_mini_evolution_464.gif

Sheffield once had more Rolls Royces per head of population than anywhere else in the world (until the Robin came along! ;) ) :thumbsup:

Yes, definitely.

There's a Bentley in the same collection as that 1936 Benz, you might be interested to see then, JB.

hOcONxA.jpg

xCHNBoN.jpg

k1kgIu9.jpg

Also one of only three existing 1903 Peugeot, Type 56s (the other two are in the Peugeot Museum, and the National Automobile Museum in France).

pfyfAuU.jpg

k7maRMS.jpg

I might as well share a few other pics from that collection - I know there's a few of you guys who dig classic automobiles.

1896 Benz Velo:

Great pics Chin :) :thumbsup:

vyW6Orp.jpg

1oTU0tB.jpg

gHGzNZG.jpg

K0ET405.jpg

sVB8L4W.jpg

72VHwGy.jpg

0IbJoWM.jpg

Fantastic Barrett, I'm really glad you had such a good time :) I've been thinking about that pie all week! :D By coincidence I was once in The Raven in Sheffield when Phil Oakey (from the video) came in, having just had his hair cut in that daft style in had in early days of The Human League! :D :thumbsup:

Barrett, those are awesome pics, thanks for sharing them!

:D :cool: :thumbsup:

Do you still see those odd little one-person cars teenagers used to be able to drive in France JP? And did you ever own a Veloselex? :cool: :D :thumbsup:

10461.jpg

There's still a few around, cause they don't need a licence to drive!
sans-permis.jpg
The Solex was my fist moped, borrowed from my elder bro'. The factory was not far and was huge, one building for carburettors the other for mopeds. Some were very clever, with a shaft drive but expensive.
The 4800 still exists and sells in he USA ;) There's also an E-solex!
solex.jpg

Thanks for the info and pics my friend :) I used to love the look of them, and remember the Parisian streets being full of them on my first visit, in the 1970's. By coincidence, a small garage in Sheffield imported both the machines, and the parts, but they were classed as a motorbike here, and so weren't popular because they attracted the same tax, insurance, and helmet laws as (then) a 250cc bike. When I lived in the north of France in 1991, I didn't see any Solex, but nobody could tell me why they disappeared.

Back