"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Well, I go away a-hunting for the weekend and I come back to several unread pages in the Lounge! That never happens!

I have just finished reading the discussions involving the underlying topic that has driven such lengthy discourse and I wanted to add a few of my own thoughts. Brief thoughts since I do believe the proverbial equestrian has been good and thoroughly clobbered.
  • I would have to say that my experience on these forums has demonstrated that the Traditionals Sub provides one of the most comfortable and friendly environments to its users, not only within the scope of BladeForums, but also the Internet as a whole. As such, I think that I have only seen frequenters of this sub being comfortable enough to provide their first names in their signature line, anywhere else within these forums it doesn't appear to be a common practice.
  • Generally I am very conscious of whether a forum member has made their first name freely available or not and I try to respect that as much as possible. However, I know I have been guilty of addressing a couple members here by their first name when it would otherwise be unknown and that is something I could do much better at controlling. It is, after all, a matter of common courtesy and respect, which are attributes that this particular sub holds in high regard.
On a bit of a happier note, I thought I would share a little bit about "What's Behind the Name?"

I have been asked by a forum member or two in the past what my forum handle means. The short answer is: Patrick. I am using a Gaelic variant, of course. But it is nothing other than a Gaelicized version of an otherwise Latin name. Now you might be wondering why I have my handle here as Patrick when I go by Dylan in my sig line. Though Dylan is what my friends and family call me, it is actually just my middle name, but it used to be my first name and Patrick used to be my middle name.

Confused yet?

I was adopted when I was a wee lad and was in possession of a different name than I carry now. At the time of my adoption, my folks decided that I needed a new name(s) to represent a fresh start so to speak. So as a result, my then first name was relegated to a middle name, my then middle name was omitted, and my then last name became my first name though the spelling of it changed.

So Pàdruig is my way of reconnecting with my roots in a sense. As I was born in the little town of Belfast (not the one in Ireland) and have a rather strong Irish lineage (great grandparents emigrated to the States shortly before WWII), I thought it to be a neat way to express my interest in my own bloodlines and family history.

So there you have it. If some unscrupulous character wants to untangle the complexities involved with figuring out who, what, and where I am. I say to them, "Have at thee!". (In my best Errol Flynn voice, of course)

Thanks for sharing Dylan, cool post :) I've known a great many Pàdruigs :) :thumbsup:

Well, I had a great day. I helped my eight-year-old nephew catch his first fish today. He had done a little fishing here and there on Boy Scout camping trips, but hadn't had any luck so far. Back at Christmas, I found out that his parents were giving him and his six-year-old brother fishing rods, so I got permission to give them tackle boxes. They each got identical Plano boxes, stuffed with everything a young boy needs for fishing, complete with engraved name plates.

After another unproductive fishing attempt on a recent family lake trip, their parents asked me if I thought I could help them catch some fish. I said I thought we could manage that, and we arranged to meet this afternoon at a local park that has a small, secluded fishing pond.

I knew it was going to be a good day when I got to the park and immediately found a buckeye tree that was dropping nuts. I picked up several, put one in my pocket with my Case CV stockman, and gave one to each of the boys for good luck.

The younger nephew announced that he was bored after about thirty seconds of watching his bobber, but the older one stuck with it. It wasn't long before we had a small Red-Ear Sunfish, or Shellcracker as we call 'em, in hand. That's the second time I've been able to help a young man catch his first fish. Lemme tell ya', it beats the tar out of any fish I've ever caught myself. Such a great experience.

He's smiling, I promise. :)

View attachment 766303
Wonderful post TH. It takes me back to my days as a kid fishing with my dad. He so loved seeing me bring them in.

• Generally I am very conscious of whether a forum member has made their first name freely available or not and I try to respect that as much as possible. However, I know I have been guilty of addressing a couple members here by their first name when it would otherwise be unknown and that is something I could do much better at controlling. It is, after all, a matter of common courtesy and respect, which are attributes that this particular sub holds in high regard.

I think we all hold ourselves to our own level of posting comfort. My primary concern in the matter is not seeing somebody rebuked by another member for saying something that is not forbidden by the forum guidelines. The forum guidelines on "common courtesy" stop at the insult level. Anything beyond that is up to the individual member.

Not trying to be hateful in any way but I for one will be so happy when this name thing is finally put to bed. I have been uncomfortable with this discussion because I have been afraid someone is going to become angry, embarrassed or in some way made uncomfortable with it. So if all is said can we please move on. To lighten things up here's some pictures of an old fat man sharpening and doing maintenance on some knives.

TOOLS OF THE TRADE
A7O9UeT.jpg

THE KNIVES TO BE WORKED ON
FC1UNbW.jpg

A DIAMOND AND ARKANSAS STONE OUT OF A SMITH KIT
EDmXnnK.jpg

MY HIGH END STROOP (AN OLD BELT)
ehMNNOy.jpg
\
THESE STONES ARE PERFECT FOR FREEHAND SHARPENING
sY3Uq1u.jpg

jWVPzmY.jpg

AS PROMISED AN OLD FAT MAN WORKING ON SOME KNIVES
T0tBeh6.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for your concern, member 420998.

Sincerely and with warmest wishes,

member 331140
"They've given him a number, and taken away his name."
A couple of days ago, scrteened porch happened to bring up the song "Secret Agent Man", and it's been stuck in my head (and now my family's heads) ever since. Who knew it would be so relevant? :rolleyes::D

- GT

A couple of days ago, scrteened porch happened to bring up the song "Secret Agent Man", and it's been stuck in my head (and now my family's heads) ever since. Who knew it would be so relevant? :rolleyes::D

- GT
I shall be swinging on the Riviera today, rather than lying in a Bombay alley. Not much danger from persuasive lips, I'm afraid.

I've probably said it before, but one of my warmest memories of Church is walking the mile home from Sunday School just in time to pop open a cold coke and watch Secret Agent Man on WGN Chicago, back when it was a local station.

- GT

Thanks GT now it's going to be stuck in my head all day.:D:eek:

Ah, Patrick McGoohan, one o fly favorite actors. You all should google his name, he was an fascinating character. Did a lot of directing and producing, and made a record number of return appearances on Colombo as the villain. In addition to being a best friend of Peter Falk, he directed the episodes he was in, and Peter wanted him back often.

Was a talented boxer in his youth.

Very talented man.

Me too... and I'm a tech.

One of my favorite "tech" stories I've heard, from my boss. Our company has many locations around the country, so we use Skype to text/talk with each other when needed. My boss is part owner, and tech support, among other things. 1 day a sales guy Skype called to him to say that the internet wasn't working and wondered how he could fix it. My boss said "hmmm, better restart your computer I guess, and then call me back if it starts working". hahahah

Hello folks!

How are you all?!

I have been struggling to break my forum hiatus, not least because I have no idea how to drive this thing now!? *baffled*

I've been keeping busy, leaving jobs, and doing lots of conservation work & trying to make go of another business.
Its kept me busy and fitter, which was the main idea. Not sure if it'll all pan out, but hey ho, I'm giving it a whirl.

On the traditional front I have been trying to get back to making my Puukko's and returned to some LONG overdue projects that have been sat around for 5+ years!!! *shame*

Gifts for friends...

IMG_20170819_100538638 eBayRESIZE.jpg
IMG_20170807_080609014 eBayRESIZE.jpg

And random finds to put back into hard labor in the woods:

Screenshot_20170830-124610.png
IMG_20170830_101753331 eBayRESIZE.jpg

I hope it goes without saying that there is more often than not a traditonal in my pocket, on my hip or in my hand too!

Hope to be around a bit more.

So catch you all soon.

scruff (aka. Thom)

Last edited:
Hello folks!

How are you all?!

I have been struggling to break my forum hiatus, not least because I have no idea how to drive this thing now!? *baffled*

I've been keeping busy, leaving jobs, and doing lots of conservation work & trying to make go of another business.
Its kept me busy and fitter, which was the main idea. Not sure if it'll all pan out, but hey ho, I'm giving it a whirl.

On the traditional front I have been trying to get back to making my Puukko's and returned to some LONG overdue projects that have been sat around for 5+ years!!! *shame*

Gifts for friends...

View attachment 767661
View attachment 767663

And random finds to put back into hard labor in the woods:

View attachment 767672
View attachment 767662

I hope it goes without saying that there is more often than not a traditonal in my pocket, on my hip or in my hand too!

Hope to be around a bit more.

So catch you all soon.

scruff (aka. Thom)

Good to see you Thom, it's been too long (well too long on here, I only saw you a fortnight ago! :D) :thumbsup:

Welcome back Scruff. Funny, those pics of the hatchet heads all dinged up remind me of ours here at the house. I get the edges all cleaned up and sharpened like your after pics. Within a week or two of my wife using them around the yard, they look like the before pics all over again. I don't know what she does to them to constantly ding them up so bad, but it's crazy and pointless to say anything to her.

Welcome back Scruff. Funny, those pics of the hatchet heads all dinged up remind me of ours here at the house. I get the edges all cleaned up and sharpened like your after pics. Within a week or two of my wife using them around the yard, they look like the before pics all over again. I don't know what she does to them to constantly ding them up so bad, but it's crazy and pointless to say anything to her.

I used to live with my brother and we had a wood stove. Likewise he was forever dinging up the edge of the choppers. I think. In the end I bought him one and said 'its yours to sharpen'. He took a little better care after that.

My wife also does the same thing with the kitchen knives. I bought her a nice storage block. That got tossed and they all get thrown into one drawer. :(
I think she just figures I can resharpen them whenever she wants (which I do), so no worries. o_O

Back