Carothers and Guns

You've got a Glock thing going on.
It's only 2-1 in favor of Glock over S&W at the moment. (Though it's actually my only revolver at present since it has a limited role.)

But yeah, I keep it simple by owning, carrying and using the same firearms, (handguns and long guns), I generally carried over the course of my career.

For me they're simply tools...not collector items. (They don't carry the same emotional attachment as many of my knives.)

And the ones I own and trust remind me a lot of CPKs in that regard. Tough, reliable and ready to work.

It's only 2-1 in favor of Glock over S&W at the moment. (Though it's actually my only revolver at present since it has a limited role.)

But yeah, I keep it simple by owning, carrying and using the same firearms, (handguns and long guns), I generally carried over the course of my career.

For me they're simply tools...not collector items. (I don't have the same emotional attachment I do for some of my knives.)

And the ones I own and trust remind me a lot of CPKs in that regard. Tough, reliable and ready to work.
The 26's ability to accept any of the doublestack mags is a significant one IMO.

The other thing is after doing Armorer level takedowns, I'm still impressed at Gaston's ability to simplify the mechanicals down. It has one of the lowest parts counts for any semiautomatic pistol.

The last plus for Glocks:
There's a shooting range in Vegas called Battlefield Vegas, that specializes in 'shooting experiences' for both tourists (since many foreigners have almost zero opportunity to fire real firearms where they're from), as well as shooting guns that most regular Joe's won't easily be able to (want to shoot an M134 minigun? How about a full auto FN SCAR-H?).

The owner posted several threads on a gun forum, of which of the firearms on their range have held up the best after thousands (and in some cases, hundreds of thousands) of live rounds. For pistols, the Glocks came out on top. Just regular cleaning and replacement of the RSA (Recoil Spring Assembly) every few thousand rounds, and replacement of the other springs at 10,000 - 15,000 rounds and they outlasted any other handgun on their range.

B bluemax_1

I have been around torture tests done to Glocks that are not for the faint of heart...performed by a world champion competitor, (who in the instance I'm referring to was also a decorated police officer, and performing the tests for his agency). The gun survived everything thrown at it, as did the magazines...over a period of years.

I've been carrying Glocks since 1988, on and off the job. When my original Gen 2 G19 developed a crack at the mag well after 29 years, Glock replaced the frame for free. And updated the internals while they were at it.

Are there better guns? Arguably yes...depending upon your needs. I approach my firearms from a combat point of view, having been a member of an SRT for several years. So, my question to myself is, is this the gun I want with me if the balloon goes up?

The G26 is the only gun I have multiples of. Should tell you something about my reverence for it. I bought my first in 1995. I still use it for my qualifications annually with the sheriff's office.

B bluemax_1

I have been around torture tests done to Glocks that are not for the faint of heart...performed by a world champion competitor, (who in the instance I'm referring to was also a decorated police officer, and performing the tests for his agency). The gun survived everything thrown at it, as did the magazines...over a period of years.

I've been carrying Glocks since 1988, on and off the job. When my original Gen 2 G19 developed a crack at the mag well after 29 years, Glock replaced the frame for free. And updated the internals while they were at it.

Are there better guns? Arguably yes...depending upon your needs. I approach my firearms from a combat point of view, having been a member of an SRT for several years. So, my question to myself is, is this the gun I want with me if the balloon goes up?

The G26 is the only gun I have multiples of. Should tell you something about my reverence for it. I bought my first in 1995. I still use it for my qualifications annually with the sheriff's office.

My Glock 21 is what I carry and I'll never carry anything but a Glock if I have anything to say about it. I like mine simple and ready for combat.

Last edited:
gaXOteK.jpg

Gusbuster Gusbuster

My G19 is a Gen2 as well, (12/88 manufacturing date). It developed a crack at the mag well and the frame was replaced with a Gen3 a couple years back as they no longer had Gen2 frames. Here it is before the frame swap with my Gen2.5 G26 and Gen4 G17. The 19 and 26 were carried on duty as well as off duty until the agency mandated only carrying their issued versions of the same firearms.

Glocks.jpg

Gusbuster Gusbuster

Do you go to "Lou's Gun Shop", (Lou's Police Supply), in Hialeah? That's where we bought all our gear back then, unless we ordered directly with the manufacturer or vendor. (I got the G26, above, at Lou's in 1995. The G19 was purchased directly from Glock in 1988 or '89.)

Back