Carothers vs Fiddleback

I know that there are some FBF fans who also cross over to this side as all are welcome but apart from the far superior steel science which Nathan incorporates with CPK, there is also little competition when it comes to the handle scales as I present my pictorial evidence of Nathan's African Blackwood vs a FBF's:

vyKM74p.jpg

MsWWjuU.jpg

Granted that FBF does offer a much larger array of knives and that they have many, many fans / users out there as compared to the CPK's smaller line of products but then again these two companies are so different in terms of their cultures, research, design, production, marketing, operation, etc. They just march to a much different beat but if pretty looking handle scales in smaller knives are one's thing, then FBF is most def worth a look unless Nathan comes along and offers similar handle material but with his own interpretation and presentation penchant.

I ran though over 20 custom models of FF by Andy trying to find a good fit and didn’t like the Duke.

The one I liked the most was the Hiking Buddy, but I don’t imagine that’s what you are after if you’re looking at the Duke.

I can’t think of anything I’d want to use from FF that is comparable to either the FK2 or the HDFK.

The smaller patterns like the HB are more likely as CPK doesn’t really have anything in that size and style right now. EDC doesn’t compare.

I was eyeing the Hiking buddy as a good trout knife and was also considering the modified Kephart. I have a GSO 3.5 from years ago but I rarely use it. I hate that company for the way it treated me and others. I guess as far as a trout blade my folders have fit that role nicely. I have a bucket full of knives I don't use anymore. When I think about it a mora would do the job. From the FF I have only held the Duke and Camp Knife and didn't like the Camp Knife because of the size. I am moving away from large blades over 5". I am seeking a good full flat under 4" if you can think of one.

I was eyeing the Hiking buddy as a good trout knife and was also considering the modified Kephart. I have a GSO 3.5 from years ago but I rarely use it. I hate that company for the way it treated me and others. I guess as far as a trout blade my folders have fit that role nicely. I have a bucket full of knives I don't use anymore. When I think about it a mora would do the job. From the FF I have only held the Duke and Camp Knife and didn't like the Camp Knife because of the size. I am moving away from large blades over 5". I am seeking a good full flat under 4" if you can think of one.

Fair enough. I ditched said company years ago as well.

To be honest with you if I was looking at a 4” full flat for outdoors application, hunting and fishing etc, it would be a Gene Ingram. I’m not sure the HT protocol but he has a lot of patterns that I think would work well if the HT is as good as Nathan’s.

BE261D47-3DBE-4AED-BEF5-70CC3792D416.jpeg
Long time lurker , first time poster in Carothers thread.

looking forward to comparing these two.

Fiddleback camp in o1
HDFK in Delta 3V

I know the HDFK is going to perform with excellence. The delta 3v keeps its bite for long time, easy to keep sharp as well.

I have NO experience using any Fiddleback knives.

should be fun beating these two side by side.

They are both excellent in their own ways. If I really wanted to beat on a knife and/or do dumb stuff with it I'd want a Carothers, but I never really feel the need to do that so I ended up selling my FK2. Still kinda want to try an EDC at some point though. I have a few fiddlebacks, and several knives made by Andy's former apprentices and they suite my needs quite well.

Can't go wrong either way :thumbsup:

49009273978_104b1b6315_k.jpg

50202820531_62343c21f4_k.jpg

I bought a few FBF's because they had a big following and I wanted to check them out. They are much different than CPK's and on average a thinner steel (maybe like a DEK) and built more more for light duty, in my opinion. Batoning and beating the literal sheat out of a knife, gimme delta 3V CPK all day everyday. This FBF Buffalo Bill reminded me of a lighter version of my FK2. A very nice knife, lightweight but can handle the job of field dressing wild game or perform light field work. Also , if selling FBF's be prepared to take a little hit, unlike CPK's that seem to retain thier value.

IMG_1622 (2).jpg

Back