Case Copperlock - How are they?

Copperlocks have always appealed to me. What have your experiences been with this knife? Unfortunately it looks like stainless is the only option. I have been happy with a ss Mini-Trapper so it is ok. I do not care for many of the handles though. I've seen some natural bone but am not sure where to find those.

Also, how does the mini compare to the standard?

Thanks,
tjg

They stopped making the CV one, which was my Favorite, you can still find the CV wharnies on ebay for around $30. A local guy that sets up at the swaps on the weekend still has quite a few of the CV wharnies. The blades are too thick on the edge for my taste, so I flat ground my personal one down real thin, now it takes a wonderful edge. I wouldn't mind picking up another to modify some more, filework, new handles ect ect, but it isn't really a top priority right now.

Since you don't have one yet, I definitely recommend looking into it. I've never handled one that didn't lock up 100% tight. They are also amazing slicers. For that reason I don't know why they haven't made more offerings in CV. The large one is a very comfortable size to carry and use. The small one makes an excellent gents folder. If you use your knife for food prep very much, the large one is one of the best knives going.

A story: One day at work I had a couple of large cardboard boxes to cut up. Normally I would fetch my leatherman with serrated blade from my truck to handle this, but I had parked far away and wanted to avoid going all the way to my truck. All I had on me was my yellow CV small Copperlock. Normally it would never have occurred to me to cut down boxes with this small knife, but it went through those boxes like butter and was still shaving sharp at the end. It gave me new respect for what I had previously considered a light duty gents folder.

If you get one I'm pretty sure you'll be thrilled with it.

I have a yellow delrin copperlock with a CV wharncliff blade and it's one of my favorite knives. I think you'll be really impressed with the knife. It's probably my favorite case pattern. It is tough to track one down in CV, but it's worth looking for. I'm with muskrat man, if I can find another one at a show I'll definitely pick it up. I'm really sick about the fact that I didn't buy more when I had the chance. A local shop cleared out about 10 of them for $24 and I only bought one.

After years of purchasing Benchmades, Spydercos. Buck, Sebenzas, a Randall and other miscellaneous knives, I recently purchased my first Case Amberbone Mini-Copperlock CA0133. I wasn't sure what to expect but fit and finish on mine are excellent. I won't give up my other blades but this will definitely get some pocket carry.
I have been a member here for a couple of years but never really checked out this discussion area. Now it is the first one I look at. Very informative.

I'm happy with mine.

Locks up like a bank vault. Thinner than I'd expected, but that's good in that it sits in the pocket ok.
The stainless takes a good edge, the CV must be scary sharp
if it's better than the SS.

Can't say I've used it much but it seems a nice knife to me.

I have the Wharny in CV and think it's great. Very slim for a knife that size. It's my favorite lockback. But then, I've got a thing for Wharncliffe blades.

-- Sam

Could somebody explain to me what a Copperlock IS please? Any pictures as well, I'm very interested,thanks.

Here is a pick of a copperlock with a CV steel wharncliff blade. One of my favorite knives.

Attachments

• P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 184
Could somebody explain to me what a Copperlock IS please? Any pictures as well, I'm very interested,thanks.

The Case Copperlock is a single bladed lock back copperhead pattern. It is sold in two sizes, about 3-1/2'' and 4-1/4'' long thereabouts. You can find tons of photos at most places that sell Case knives, or on Case's own website. I like copperhead patterns, I need a few of these to go with my own collection.

I have a yellow mini copperlock with CV. I really like the way the knife was designed. Blade and handle shape look very cool and all the lines flow while the knife is either open or closed. As stated eariler, it is very thin handled knife.

I have one is SS with stag handles. This knife is great for a dress knife IMO. Here are some pics of my copperlock.

John

I purchased a yellow delrin handled mini copperlock several years ago and have enjoyed it very much; a lot of blade in a little package. My only gripe is that the yellow handle material doesn't really seat down nicely onto the scales/lining, it lifts up a bit toward the bolsters. The first was so bad I sent it back and the second, a replacement from Case, also had the problem but to a lesser degree. I should probably simply replace the handle material .

I have a mini in amber bone,beutiful easy to cary knife with very solid lock up and a full size in jade bone.My only complaint is on the large model (although tight) the spring gives slightly when whittling and the like.

But overal I say a nicely designed locking knife well worth the money!

Copperlocks & Pictures?. OK..

The Copperlock series is one of the very best Case patterns IMO.. Like some of the other members in this thread have already revealed here, great F&F, tight lock-ups and releases and makes a fine cutter. Here is a photo of one of my favorites. You just gotta love Smooth Red Bone. Pure Class, IMO.
000_1181.jpg

000_1179-1.jpg

Here is the Case XX Natural Bone some of the folks were referencing early on here..
000_1168.jpg

Here is my Queen D~2 with Abalone scales which I recommend for folks who like D-2 cutting steel..
000_1170.jpg

Well, the mailman just brought me one of those CV yellow handle wharnie Copperlocks today - got it down by the bay earlier this week.

To echo the rest of these guys, it is one fine knife. Everything about it is top notch fit & finish.

dont have a copperlock but use a seahorse daily as my pocket carry. the quality is excellent and the SS blade holds and keeps a very nice edge

Back