Case Copperlock - How are they?

Update on my earlier naive remarks about copperlocks.

The postman brought me a Case today all the way from the USA (and no nosey enquiries from customs either:D )

This is a bone scaled one with rattlesnake pattern. The lock-up and opening are excellent and the blade is scimitar sharp:eek: Good sized blade for cutting tasks and the knife is not too heavy or bulky for EDC.

One downside is the scales feel a bit rough to the touch, although this does offer better grip.What's the best way of dealing with bone please? Also, what advantages does the wharncliffe blade have over other types,say clip etc?

Looking at those red boned scales in an earlier post, this could be the start of a mad obsession:D Any suggestions for other models? (Mental Case)

The bone will wear smoother over time. Just carry and use it, it will wear on you. My buddy has a Cattaraugus folder his grandfather carried and used for decades. The blades are worn down a lot, to about half their original width, and the jigging on the handles is mostly worn away. No cracks, no splits, no chips. Just honest wear. I suppose if you wanted, you could put some olive or peanut oil on one every year or two, but I've not seen the need.

If you are not getting these to use, then don't worry about it, it will be fine in your collection for a long time without any additional worry.

The wharncliffe blade has a straight edge, with no belly. The point is below the line of the handle. If you use your point a lot, with pressure on it, the wharncliffe gives you a point that you can put a lot of pressure on without the belly getting in the way, and has a more advantageous angle than an upswept point for working that way. It's one of my favorite blade shapes for a using knife, especially at an office. You can cut paper, open a letter, pick a slivver and have a nice thin point to do it with. Haven't cleaned a bird with mine, but I think it'll do fine for that, too.

If you want to save on shipping, buy several at a time. Yes, that makes it a more mad obsession. :)

My Mental Case seems to be worsening:D

Can somebody advise on the copperlocks with wharncliff blades please, what types are likely to be available including mini-copperlocks? Thanks!

I put this note in the other day with some info on the Wharny Copperlock, among others.

There is no Mini Copperlock with Wharncliff, to the best of my knowledge, in this or any recent year.

-- Sam

Back