Case Medium Stockman,,,why so many varieties

I was looking at the Case medium stockman lineup. Wow so many sizes and shapes. Medium seems to comprise anything from 3 1/4, 3 3/8, 3 5/8, 3 7/8 and maybe more.

I mean it is nice to have options but I got a bit confused. I was looking specifically for the even end 63090 model but they are not common in shops that will ship to Canada presently. Salmon scales just didn’t do it for me for what I did find and I didn’t feel like paying a premium for The Duke model.

So just thought I would ask why they have become so diverse in size and shape from the same brand?

,,,Mike in Canada

The "Collector" market?

I always thought a 3 7/8 inch stockman was considered a "large" and a 3 1/4 inch a "small".

I think it's just generalising with the name Medium. It's like when you buy clothes, Medium can be tiny or generous, same with Large...

With CASE, they seem to use the prefix Medium pretty freely, other names too. Their Mini Trapper is hardly Mini nor is the Mini Copper Lock, both reasonable 3 5/8" knives. Tiny and Baby do seem apt when applied to certain patterns though. I think that Medium really stands for Mid size but that doesn't sound too convincing a label ;) Nor 'Moderate Stockman' :D Full size Trappers or Large Stockman are around 4" or over and with Traditional patterns a quarter inch or a few millimetres makes a considerable difference to carry style.

You mention the Equal End Stockman which is a nice compact carry but steer clear of that Salmon Bone it's pretty not so pretty pink, and white :eek: CASE appear to be refusing to allow dealers to ship outside the US pro tem, but I've got round it, an insane idea:rolleyes:

That medium stuff got me too. I have one medium stockman with the squared off bolsters and I had to buff down the corners to where it was more comfortable. Even though,I opted for the rounded bolsters and order a red medium stockman, geez, it came in and it is only 3-1/4" but medium it is not. It's more like a small and skinny. I then watched my p's and q's and paid attention to the sizes and ordered another medium stockman in yellow and with CV steel and with the rounded ends. It comes in at 3-9/16" and is bigger all the way around then that little red one. Much better... I just received it today in the mail. I went as far as asking the dealer to please pick me out a good one. I don't usually ask that they do that for me but figured I'd give it a try. And buddy, a good one ,I got. I knew that they checked it out first because the brown paper that the knives come in looked like they had unraveled it a few times and folded it over the knife in a haphazard way like I would have. This knife has a good solid pull on all three blades with only a very slight blade rub on one of them but the three blade come in a nice tight little package and the fit and finish is top notch as far as I am concerned.
I'll be having a picture of it shortly cause that is the one that I will be toting for the rest of this day and tomorrow.

This be the one I got today.It'll be my tote tomorrow.
bbGqf1y.jpg

I think it's just generalising with the name Medium. It's like when you buy clothes, Medium can be tiny or generous, same with Large...

With CASE, they seem to use the prefix Medium pretty freely, other names too. Their Mini Trapper is hardly Mini nor is the Mini Copper Lock, both reasonable 3 5/8" knives. Tiny and Baby do seem apt when applied to certain patterns though. I think that Medium really stands for Mid size but that doesn't sound too convincing a label ;) Nor 'Moderate Stockman' :D Full size Trappers or Large Stockman are around 4" or over and with Traditional patterns a quarter inch or a few millimetres makes a considerable difference to carry style.

You mention the Equal End Stockman which is a nice compact carry but steer clear of that Salmon Bone it's pretty not so pretty pink, and white :eek: CASE appear to be refusing to allow dealers to ship outside the US pro tem, but I've got round it, an insane idea:rolleyes:

Lucky we don’t have to deal with size 0 to size 18 etc like our female counterparts.

And liquor comes in ounces. ;)

,,,Mike in Canada

My favorite is the largest medium at 3 7/8 inches, the 347. The most common for sale in a multitude of scale variations at 3 5/8 inches is the 318. If I was naming them I'd call the 3 7/8 one a large or just stockman.

Left to right, the 6344, 63090, 53087, 63032, 6.5318, 6347.

My favorite is the largest medium at 3 7/8 inches, the 347. The most common for sale in a multitude of scale variations at 3 5/8 inches is the 318. If I was naming them I'd call the 3 7/8 one a large or just stockman.

Now if I could just put the red scales of number 1 on the even end #2 I would have found the one I want.

,,,Mike in Canada

The 2019 Case catalogue has most of the medium stockmans at 3 5/8", but there are some at 3 1/4" and 3 3/8". The 2 5/8" stockman is a small, and the 3 7/8" is just a "stockman". There is also a large stockman at 4 1/4". I suppose some dealers or websites may have them mislabeled.

Last edited:

Another "variable" in choosing a Case medium stockman is the blade combination. All the models in RDaneel RDaneel 's pic have a clip and a sheepsfoot on one end, but the third blade on the opposite end varies. From the left in the pic, the first, third, and fourth (44, 087, and 032 patterns) have a pen blade, while the others have a spey. (The 18 pattern, second from right, is also available with a punch instead of spey and numbered 18PU.)

- GT

It bugs me to have several sizes called "medium". You just have to check the length before you click.

Nominal length of 3-7/8" to 4" is a Premium Stockman, 4-1/4" is a Large Stockman. Mediums are generally considered to run from 3-3/8" to 3-5/8" but it is a real variable depending on manufacturer, always considered the 3-1/4" and down to actually be a Pen Knife modeled on the Stockman pattern. Best thing to do with any pocketknife is to ignore the name and pick what design elements appeal to you. OH (a lover of the "true" Medium Stockman pocketknife: the 3-9/16" medium!)

Case-6318-CV-Nine-dot-1981.jpg

Last edited:
Another "variable" in choosing a Case medium stockman is the blade combination. All the models in RDaneel RDaneel 's pic have a clip and a sheepsfoot on one end, but the third blade on the opposite end varies. From the left in the pic, the first, third, and fourth (44, 087, and 032 patterns) have a pen blade, while the others have a spey. (The 18 pattern, second from right, is also available with a punch instead of spey and numbered 18PU.)

- GT

Still another variable - most of the currently available 3087 models have a spey instead of a sheepfoot. I still haven't figured out why they put two somewhat similar blades (spey and pen) on it and leave off the sheepfoot. The sheepfoot is the main reason I use a stockman instead of a pen knife.

Last edited:
A little something for everyone, I think.... I have two stag medium stockman knives that I just posted in another thread, but they are both stag, one round bolsters, one square bolsters, one pen blade, one spey blade, one turkish clip, one standard clip.
Go figure.... picture quality is not good, but you get the idea.

Stag%202_zpsg1glique.jpg

Stag%20open_zpshayoaudf.jpg

I just went on the Case website again and checked out the Medium Stockman patterns. The 3 7/8 inch model is listed under "Medium Stockman' and under just "Stockman". When I looked at the 3 7/8 inch Amber Bone one listed under "Stockman" The description starts with "This medium stockman..."

I don't think we are the only ones confused about Case's Medium Stockman, etc. models.

I like the advice @oldhunter gave above to " ignore the name and pick what design elements appeal to you."

Here is my take on this...:p DONT sweat the details..;) Buy what makes yinz happy!! :D
John

Here is my take on this...:p DONT sweat the details..;) Buy what makes yinz happy!! :D
John
Do I detect a Pittsburgher? I was there a week ago for my Mom's youngest sister's funeral. It was good to see family, even on the solemn occasion.
Oh, and I agree. Whatever floats your boat!

Do I detect a Pittsburgher? I was there a week ago for my Mom's youngest sister's funeral. It was good to see family, even on the solemn occasion.
Oh, and I agree. Whatever floats your boat!

Yes you do!!! :thumbsup:Born and bred Pittsburgher!!!!;)
John

Back