1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

3. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

CASE...what in the ???

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by meako, May 16, 2019.

1. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    This apparent action doesn't make any sense. US > Canada too now.....

2. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Not being the master wordsmith that I would like to be, I probably should have used aquatic instead of maritime...…… With the richness of the English language comes the abundance of synonymous and sometimes overlapping meanings...… My late Mother was an English teacher, and God knows she tried hard with me..... But, sometimes the apple rolls down hill from the tree...… Yes, the prohibition was for Abalone & Mother of Pearl...…...

Lance Leon, meako and paulhilborn like this.
  3. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    The Sri Lankan authorities responded to the Easter atrocities by asking all citizens to surrender their knives, which makes even less sense, but these are crazy times.
    It would be nice if Case would explain who's doing what to whom for why.
    If it's about banned materials, you'd think they could still ship synthetics, unless there's an international crackdown on plastics.

4. urbantrapper

urbantrapper

Dec 13, 2018
    Interested to see how this pans out. Wouldnt be surprised one bit if it were poitically motivated.

t.willy likes this.
  5. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Betcha its CITES regs. For instance I can't ship any knives with cocobolo outside of US borders.

meako, Eli Chaps, afishhunter and 2 others like this.
  6. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I'm going to go out on a limb, and guess that it probably has more to do with protecting distribution rights. Otherwise the "option" would remain with the retailer, at their own risk of international trade/tariffs/regulation issues.

Ramrodmb likes this.
  7. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    This is all part of my evil plan to hog all of the Case knives for myself. I have effectively limited Case purchases to only the US. My next step will be to restrict sales to only Upstate New York. Then to only my mailing address. Bwhahahahaha!!!!!! :D:D:D

[​IMG]

8. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Is that one of those zombie raccoons I was reading about in the news?

9. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    He guards my knife collection.

10. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Excellent. Looks like he'd be good at it too with those gnashers and claws!

11. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    That's not surprising.

12. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Perhaps @knifeswapper has some insight? What is the member ID for DLT Trading?

13. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Looks like the racoon that raids my bird feeders!

I'd be curious to know what's going on myself.
    Since this entire thread is not a knife discussion but a where do they ship and why discussion. I'm moving it to GB&U.

14. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    What's not surprising? That Case is not shipping knives outside the U.S? Or that Prester John doesn't understand it either?
    Perhaps you could explain it to us both. o_O

15. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    It shouldn't be an political international trade issue, since Canada is also listed. If it was just China, I would think it was politically motivated. But since it is every country, there must be more to the story.

16. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    I emailed a prolific Case dealer and asked for clarification.

The response was that some exotic handle materials cannot be shipped to other countries, especially Canada. But "typical" Case knives can ship to Canada just fine.

They also said that due to shipping costs and item losses, they will not ship to any other country other than Canada.

Just one distributor but good insight nonetheless.

t.willy, meako and Prester John like this.
  17. WolfyW

WolfyW

Oct 28, 2017
    Would be nice to have a reason, rather than speculate. I speculate trade laws. CTV News here just announced tariffs lifted re Canada and Mexico. Time will tell...
    Until then I'll obsess over the Grohmann site again.

meako likes this.
  18. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    I don't deal directly with Case, so I don't have any information from them. But, I don't expect it is any type of legal issue on this particular knife. Case is very bad about trying to protect large dealers so they are probably protecting their non-US dealers by prohibiting US dealers from exporting. But, I don't know the specifics.

I will go ahead and say again, that setting up a commercial re-shipper will save international customers a lot of money and grief over time. You can combine shipments, fill out your own customs forms, and be in full control. I realize it seems as if retailers are just making up policies for the sole purpose of randomly punishing people, but sadly there is generally a good reason behind a new policy. You may not like it; but you are not going to be the one bailing the dealer our of jail when the poo hits the fan.

19. cudgee

cudgee

May 13, 2019
    I just received an email from the American company that i deal with, no problems posting to Oz, so no idea what is going on with your supplier. From what you said you have been sorted, glad it worked out. I have one of those in the photo but in pocket worn orange, it's a ripper. Have a good weekend.

Prester John likes this.
  20. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    The only place any facts about this debacle of a policy can come from is Case itself...and Im not holding my breath for that.
    Its apparent from much of the communication I've had around this thread that.
    A.nobody actually knows why.
    @knifeswapper s response is likely the most accurate...
    B.nobody is policing it because other dealers AND the one I'm using are actually still shipping os.
    C. It is very easy to get around.
    D. Case as a company has all the old timey traditional apple pie goodness of a giant corporate behemoth...it would seem.

Im not an international corporate espionage agent or anything...just a Dad who wants to buy a decent quality practical keepsake for his youngest Sons 16th birthday.
    Thanks again to everyone who offered insight and experience.