Causation...What Say You?

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
So recently sent out this knife to its new home. This is one of my Cowboy Toothpick models in bocote and 26C3 steel, (HT by Peters 63-64RC).

5XjShZn.jpg

oJJj1ro.jpg

Got an email from the new owner. Exactly what he's looking for, loves it, stupid sharp, etc, just one problem. The blade is bent! I said What??? Send er back and we'll get ya right. Now I know it wasn't bent when it left here. So I'm thinking did I grind uneven, is the tip tweaked, all kind of things.

I get the knife back and not only is the knife bent the sheath is too. Crushed even:

CLe7647.jpg

Ya can see in this pic where the sheath had been flexed, see all the wrinkles in the leather:

zn81qyb.jpg

SK9Ki02.jpg

Had even broke loose the belt loop on the back and separated it even though its glued and stitched like the welt is. Also notice the edges of the leather both on the throat of the sheath and the belt loop. Looks like it had been abraded somehow. Not how it left:

plF2kb5.jpg

And the knife itself? Yeah tweaked just like the sheath:

qKNM4ig.jpg

zmDTaFo.jpg

bBotZ88.jpg

HaL3bqG.jpg

So what caused it?

JYgngys.jpg

HeCkQaY.jpg

First thing that comes to my mind is that it got run over during shipping. Then I think heck thats not getting run over for it to take a set like that it got parked on. What say you?

I was maybe thinking of taking the handle off and straightening it but is it even worth it to try ? Whadya think?

Did you get to see photos of the box? Seems to me that the only reasonable answer is - as you suggest - was parked on. The box was in the driveway and was driven over but not discovered until later. :oops: Obviously we can't know from here. I'm guessing you will bend over (no pun intended) to make it right for your customer. More than generous especially without more info.

The belt loop being damaged where it is (at the stitched and glued joint) leads me to think that didn't happen in a simple crushing of the box. Not sure how you get forces to cause a separation of the joint in any fashion other than tension (pulling it apart). I hate to mention this....as I am sure you have relations with your customer....but one way that could happen is having it on your belt and then contacting something with the tip sticking out. That could lead to the belt damage and the force correlating with bending the blade in that direction. My 2 cents....however, I hope I'm wrong.

How long did the person have it? Did they send it back in the original box? Did they send pictures of the box showing the condition it arrived in? How to you pack them when you ship?

Looking at that my snap judgment is somebody has a big knife shaped bruise on their body now.

Did you get to see photos of the box? Seems to me that the only reasonable answer is - as you suggest - was parked on. The box was in the driveway and was driven over but not discovered until later. :oops: Obviously we can't know from here. I'm guessing you will bend over (no pun intended) to make it right for your customer. More than generous especially without more info.
I asked and he didn't recall any damage to the package. We do always take care of our customer. Of course this was my last 26C3 blade in that model. I do have another batch getting ready to go to ht but still that would be a ways off. I told him I would make him one up in AEB-L in my next batch and then make him another in the 26C3 when those come in some month rom now.
I would try to straighten it with the handle left on. Unless the handle is also bent.

Hoss
How would ya go about it sir? I was thinking heating it to about 350 or 400 or so in the oven and then trying to straighten it.

The belt loop being damaged where it is (at the stitched and glued joint) leads me to think that didn't happen in a simple crushing of the box. Not sure how you get forces to cause a separation of the joint in any fashion other than tension (pulling it apart). I hate to mention this....as I am sure you have relations with your customer....but one way that could happen is having it on your belt and then contacting something with the tip sticking out. That could lead to the belt damage and the force correlating with bending the blade in that direction. My 2 cents....however, I hope I'm wrong.

I've done the catching on the door jamb, seatbelt, etc, myself. Just not seeing it taking a set from that. I did flex the sheath where it had been flexed and it did put pressure on the belt loop weltside junction. This sheath had a special by request belt loop of 2 1/4" instead of the standard 1.5". He wanted to wear it SOB on and exterior belt he wears while hunting. I just don't know.

I wonder if he’s in construction and was crammed into a skid steer seat or a mini hoe, if he’s over weight and crammed into one of those for hours the seat belt connector could have been squashing it to death.

Straighten at the same temperature it was bent. Put some soft jaws in the vise and bend it straight. Easy peasy lemon squeezie. The blade has a soft spine.

Hoss

If there was no shipping damage? hard to believe......That would of murdered the original box. It would of been obvious. Had to of bent it, Over 45degress?

Maybe ask to receive a photograph from this one customer upon arrival. Or it might happen again :/
I might of just refunded their money, idk..... I've not had bad knife customers, but I've seen bad Other kinds of customers wanting crazy stuff
Sorry.

someone's fat ass could bend a knife like that like that. Maybe he needs a thicker knife.
that narrow finger choil, coupled with thin stock, there just isn't a lot of strength there. The sheath woulda gave once the knife did is my guess
for it to yield like that at the hardness is pretty cool.

I had a customer bring me a fillet knife he bought a few years earlier. I guarantee them for life for materials and workmanship. I'll even replace the handle if it wears out or gets ruined (usually from the dishwasher, which is mentioned as not covered).
The knife was broken in half mid-blade. He only brought me the handle and half blade, no tip part. I asked him for the other half. He said it was somewhere in his truck, but he couldn't find it. I told him I would need the whole knife to honor the warranty. He went to the truck and immediately returned with the other half. The tip was bent almost 30°. I looked at him and asked what he was prying. He grinned sheepishly and said the cabin door on his boat was stuck and he was trying to pry bit open. I offered him a new knife at 1/2 price.

If I recall, on the infamous Gerber Mark II daggers, the bent or "canted" blade was a feature! More ergonomic, or something like that... ;)

I am curious about how honest the customer is being about its current condition, as well as if it can be straightened back out relatively easily. If there's no separation at the handle, I'd give it a shot with the handle still on.

I would venture if he wore in SOB and sat on it on and off and that could account for bend and the pull on the belt loop also (especially in a vehicle). The thin blade stock could take a bend if a bigger person did this fairly easily I think.

Back