• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Mixed Caution with dealing with member "Edgefinder"

I removed "as new" however, please tell me where in the rules or it is inappropriate to state "as new" If a knife has never been used, it is like a new knife.

Let me know what I did wrong?

Thanks,

I removed "as new" however, please tell me where in the rules or it is inappropriate to state "as new" If a knife has never been used, it is like a new knife.

Thanks,
One thing I noticed is that you are using the word “insured”, which doesn’t mean anything because if the knife that you send is lost, you would need to immediately refund the buyer, and then deal with any insurance claims on your own.

Please read the rules #1 bullet point 3. I am stating I will insure the item therefore, the buyer and seller are protected in the transaction. Either way, the buyer is protected and seller is protected from loss. The buyer gets the item, or if it is lost or stolen in shipment, they get their money back, and the seller is protected as well. So, there is confidence and security for the buyer and seller to make the transaction.

I have a suggestion, add to the rules an example of exactly how a for sale post should be written that conforms to the rules. That would be very helpful to anyone selling on the site. I see examples by other members making similar (possibly incorrect or unacceptable) statements in their for sale posts. It would be advantageous to have a precise form outline.

In reading this experience and experiences from buyers of one of the many subpar custom knife makers, it just reinforces my thoughts of not buying these types of knives. It's sad to think this way, but too many negative stories lately. Especially in these economic times, these stories just may put people "Out of commission." I am purposefully trying not to put blame at anyone specific. What I am saying is that people work damn hard for their money and it's getting even harder and people are not tolerating sub par fit and finish. People involved in the making and selling of sub par craftsmanship for top dollar will all but dry up. I think it's happening already. Stick to reliable production until this crap improves.

This comment is not directed at Edgefinder - simply a personal opinion - general comment - regarding the use of INSURANCE for S&H for all Exchange transactions.

For what it's worth - my 2¢ - no matter that a seller states insured or not - I, as a buyer, consider that dealing with a BF member of good repute means that my purchase IS insured. If I don't receive the knife (or other) lost or damaged in transit the full value of the purchase will be reimbursed to me. Only the seller will "benefit" from the insurance.

Now if the knife is poorly represented or some other disputable issue arises (including failure to deliver) then PP Goods & Services will be to the benefit of the buyer. Insurance covers the seller - has no effect on the buyer. The only recourse the buyer has is to deal with an honorable individual and use PP G&S.

Last edited:
Let’s be careful that this thread doesnt become an Edgefinder Edgefinder pile on thread.
He did make a mistake with the transaction with WValtakis WValtakis , but made it right.

Concerning “as new” wording...generally means that the knife is new but fondled. However, due to the previous transaction that this thread is about, it may be advantageous for Edgefinder Edgefinder to state exactly what/if anything was done to said knives for sale. Disassembled but reassembled so “as new”?
Just fondled? Stayed in my safe since arrival? Original owner? Slightly off center? Small amount of blade play?
Stating things like this in your thread lets potential buyers know the history of your knives for sale.

It’s unfortunate, but Edgefinder Edgefinder , you may need to put some more effort into your sales posts, in order to overcome the mistake previously made. And so that your sales threads aren't nitpicked.

Wishing all the best in these times to everyone. We are all stressed and tried in these times. We are all in this together.

Last edited:

Thanks,
Given your past listing issue, you may want to include more than just "Unused, unsharpened.
They all work very well and lock open" as the description. That is not a lot of information on some very expensive knives. But hey, it is your sales thread, if within the rules, run it how you want. But with that little information given, you should expect to run into problems.

As for insurance, if paypal goods is used, the seller can say whatever he/she wants. If that knife doesn't make it, paypal will refund the buyer.

One of the great things about selling here on BFC is the huge amount of leeway and choice the forum offers its members on how they conduct them selves. In general, we see the most problems when people don't act with generally well accepted common sense. There are several good outlines on how to run a good sale. BFC should not have to hold our hands in order to conduct a simple transaction. Those that need that much help are weeded out. In general, the system works very very well.

This comment is not directed at Edgefinder - simply a personal opinion - general comment - regarding the use of INSURANCE for S&H for all Exchange transactions.

For what it's worth - my 2¢ - no matter that a seller states insured or not - I, as a buyer, consider that dealing with a BF member of good repute means that my purchase IS insured. If I don't receive the knife (or other) lost or damaged in transit the full value of the purchase will be reimbursed to me. Only the seller will "benefit" from the insurance.

Interesting he got called out for stating it was insured but i've seen many sellers, even dealers state insurance is 'option' available for purchase..... but they didn't get called out on it.

My point concerning his most recent post selling the Dalton knives is that he stated they were "as new" unused and unsharpened. He has since removed the "as new" part.
When you look at all three knives - especially the STC, it has serious marks - you can clearly see the wear marks from deployment. This certainly is not as new.
Not piling on edgefinder here (I tried to keep an open mind and stay positive if you read my prior posts in this thread), but when he just went through this issue prior about accurately describing things - one would hope he would not be saying things are as new, when they clearly are not new. It's just another problem waiting to happen

My point concerning his most recent post selling the Dalton knives is that he stated they were "as new" unused and unsharpened. He has since removed the "as new" part.
When you look at all three knives - especially the STC, it has serious marks - you can clearly see the wear marks from deployment. This certainly is not as new.
Not piling on edgefinder here (I tried to keep an open mind and stay positive if you read my prior posts in this thread), but when he just went through this issue prior about accurately describing things - one would hope he would not be saying things are as new, when they clearly are not new. It's just another problem waiting to happen

My piling on comment was not directed at anyone. :) Just a caution. :)

Edgefinder you have to improve your game here. You are giving the haters a stick to beat you with.

Back