CBSA has banned Flippers

It seems to be very bureaucratic in nature where a lot of different people think they are in charge. The way I see it in this day and age is everybody wants to rule the world! What one person interprets one way thousands interpret it completely differently depending on their beliefs and convictions or media or famous person. Everyone seems to be worried about this or that and probably have never had to deal with it but they sure have a preconceived notion and opinions about it depending on which high profile entertainer chimes in on the subject. Can anyone think with common sense? Or is there any room for freedom? Maybe someday enough people will grow tired of electing people who have no clue what they are talking about.

D Danke42
Thanks for the insight.
Looks like I’ll have to pick up a Delica for my truck. My bigger worry is what will be in my pocket, because that changes day to day and I don’t often think about it. Also, I’m not always super mindful about what passes between my pocket and center console.

I NEVER take anything to Mexico. I’ll have to program myself similarly for going north.

This thread is getting mighty whiffy. Take a wider view gentlemen. This is not the fault of one person, one party, one ideology. This is the law of unintended consequences. This is the same as having to surrender your phone at a border crossing, allow harddrives to be copied, cross border snooping, etc. We get down in the weeds on if x or y knife is acceptable but what we need to be asking is why is it a border control issue? What set of circumstances let us to get here. There is a lot of unintended moralizing already in this thread, as always happens "My guy would never do that, its someone else's fault" but the reality is that the entire system was built by both sides. This should be an apolitical discussion. How can we get to a point where fear isn't what is setting the guidelines? Look I'm just another idiot with a keyboard and even I'm seeing the very real links. Not stretching out into conspiracies, but very simple links. The cop pulls you over for a tail light to see if he has justifiable cause to search your car, might help him look better to his superiors. Border control, having been tasked with warrant-less surveillance needs some way to thin the options, or have probable cause for direct searches, or some public facing reasoning other than "Papers please". This is what we as a society, both north and south of the border have asked for. The CBSA walks in lock step with DHS. If this is something that needs to change, then it needs to change broadly, not just a little nibble on the corner for the thing I want. I have no dog in this fight since I'm no longer able to have a voice there. Look to groups like the EFF (electronic frontier foundation) and similar to support. Gotta let some of the symptoms run their course, in the mean time, we need to focus on the illness.

This thread is getting mighty whiffy. Take a wider view gentlemen. This is not the fault of one person, one party, one ideology. This is the law of unintended consequences. This is the same as having to surrender your phone at a border crossing, allow harddrives to be copied, cross border snooping, etc. We get down in the weeds on if x or y knife is acceptable but what we need to be asking is why is it a border control issue? What set of circumstances let us to get here. There is a lot of unintended moralizing already in this thread, as always happens "My guy would never do that, its someone else's fault" but the reality is that the entire system was built by both sides. This should be an apolitical discussion. How can we get to a point where fear isn't what is setting the guidelines? Look I'm just another idiot with a keyboard and even I'm seeing the very real links. Not stretching out into conspiracies, but very simple links. The cop pulls you over for a tail light to see if he has justifiable cause to search your car, might help him look better to his superiors. Border control, having been tasked with warrant-less surveillance needs some way to thin the options, or have probable cause for direct searches, or some public facing reasoning other than "Papers please". This is what we as a society, both north and south of the border have asked for. The CBSA walks in lock step with DHS. If this is something that needs to change, then it needs to change broadly, not just a little nibble on the corner for the thing I want. I have no dog in this fight since I'm no longer able to have a voice there. Look to groups like the EFF (electronic frontier foundation) and similar to support. Gotta let some of the symptoms run their course, in the mean time, we need to focus on the illness.

Dude, I’m just trying to avoid a hassle when I go to Lethbridge. ;)

Damn, sorry to hear that. After this I think I will be only buying knives from within Canada.
Just in case you didn't know "DROP" Formerly known as Massdrop covers all there shipped knives. If you find out your knife has been seized they emeditly give you a full refund you don't even have to wait till the knife is returned. Mind you there's a limited number of models available but there's plenty of great deals on there Colaberasions with Reate /WE/ Farrum Forge / Gavko / Just to name a few.

tenor.gif

Sorry to hear about the troubles OP. I've heard a bunch of Canadian customs horror stories. Hopefully they loosen up at some point.

Plain and simple. Freedom being taken away by oppression. An unfortunate abuse of power.
The issue is when the government doesnt listen to Canadians, and just does whatever they want. They are the example, so CBSA just follows their lead.
Even our “freedom of speech” is basically already taken away. It is now “Freedom of speech if we like what you have to say.”

The issues with the CBSA and many kinds of folding knives is quite a predicament the last few years. It's to the point where I'm not even sure they wouldn't seize something like a stiff-opening traditional knife if I was to have enough of them sent to me from outside Canada (even though it's pretty clear to me it shouldn't qualify according to the Trade Tribunal terms). Yet, I've had a dozen or more fixed blade knives of varying sizes come from many places around the world and not once worried they would be seized at the border. It does make me wonder sometimes.

I like to keep my hobby from becoming a major hassle, so if it's a folding knife I like and isn't available in Canada, I put it on my wishlist to see if it turns up later and move on. That's not to say I'm not severely disappointed in my country's decisions and policies on stuff like this. I voice my opinion where I think it can make a difference and help those making more of an effort to change things for the better.

I had a knife seized and was appealing the decision before the updated version of this bs came out with how you can just start applying force and whip it out with gravity the rest of the way... So, they were basing their decision to deny my appeal on the rulings of court cases in which some Kershaw and ZT etc, can't remember now, were ruled as prohibited weapons.
I feel like at any time they can take this prohibition further as they already have these rulings. They can say why are prohibited weapons being sold in stores, we already banning them to be imported...

If you flick a knife to open it with the knife being held horizontally it is not gravity opening the knife ... it is inertia. If you open it whilst holding the knife vertically forcing the blade to open upwardly it now becomes an anti-gravity knife that is still powered by inertia. It is still inertia operated when flicking the blade open when point down. Whom ever wrote the rules, laws regulation or whatever the document governing the importation needs to study some 7th grade science a little longer.

Kirk to Engineering: Scotty we have a problem in the anti-matter and anti-gravity control pods ... please hurry, Mr. Scott!

I got few knives seized in the past(got them all back after shipping them back to sellers and then back to me again) but now get knives shipped with blade removed from scales and have zero issues.

Hey, Mind sharing how you get them shipped separately? You send em to an american friend or is there a way to request shippers like knife center, or the original knife companies to ship them like that?

Hey, Mind sharing how you get them shipped separately? You send em to an american friend or is there a way to request shippers like knife center, or the original knife companies to ship them like that?
Send me a message at
trio4blast at rogers dot com

I have heard of some Canadians that drive into America, and pick up stuff like that, previously delivered to American friends. Just rumors, I am sure.

I have heard of some Canadians that drive into America, and pick up stuff like that, previously delivered to American friends. Just rumors, I am sure.
People have been doing that for over a century both ways across the border.

But as always if you get caught you get a talking too.

If I really wanted a flipper knife I'd just buy one from the local store since they do mail order. I see new flippers from WE, Hinderer, Medford, Ferrum Forge, and more. And their prices are also normally just a few bucks more than US stores like Blade HQ with way faster in country shipping.

But that's just me.

Back