Recommendation? Ceramic Glass Platen - JB Weld VS Carpet Tape

Like it , but why you don t trim the edges of glass ,diamond and SIC sandpaper will do that easy? Look at the end on video how glass eat belt from back side , round little more that part of glass ,and top side too..

What do you mean by trimming the edges? Do you mean radius-ing the left and right edges of the platen so that there aren't sharp corners for the belt to go around when grinding plunges? I haven't found this to be an issue when using J-Flex belts.

why you mount that plate to protruded that much

I didn't feel like 1/32'' to 1/16'' was too excessive on the platen being proud from the idler wheels. Do you normally put the platen in line with the wheels?

What do you mean by trimming the edges? Do you mean radius-ing the left and right edges of the platen so that there aren't sharp corners for the belt to go around when grinding plunges? I haven't found this to be an issue when using J-Flex belts.

I didn't feel like 1/32'' to 1/16'' was too excessive on the platen being proud from the idler wheels. Do you normally put the platen in line with the wheels?
Yes ,that I was mean .Just little sanding to smooth side edges not making some big radius ....On top and bottom of glass you need that bigger radius .....

Yes ..........I don t see any reason why would belt rub on glass and create additional temperature when run free ?

Last edited:
For anyone looking to use tape on their ceramic platen liner... Check out this video on double sided tape strength. He does an excellent job testing different tapes (3 different testing methods as well). Winner in my opinion was the LLPT.

Weakest tape on that test is enough strong for glass , more important is which one can best handle temperature .................

I used jb weld the first time. The last two times I have used VHB tape. It's way easier and has held up well for me in temps that range from -30 to 100+

I also switched to 3M VHB adhesive film. It comes in thickness from .005" to .100". Bond strength gets stronger over time. It is rated for use between 0° and 300°. One plus is it can be applied at cold temperatures. Many adhesives won't bond well if applied at below 50°F.

Peel off one side and apply to the glass. Pell then other side off and carefully apply to the clean platen … you get one shot at it because the bond is very strong.

I just take of this ceramic plate .No name very thin double tape which I use for my disc sanders .Burned ,but it hold I think about six or seven months....come off very easy with thin kitchen knife .......
aw5Cnqb.jpg

FqyoTgg.jpg

Now I will try rubberized cork to see how it would hold with fine belts.If it doesn't last I will try thick leather and Kevlar over it ....:)

aYWoPm0.jpg

FueHB4G.jpg

R4yzypK.jpg

Have used JB on 4 different grinders. Zero issues. Throw a few spring clamps on it overnight and all is well.

Back