Charlie Mike Carry.

CM had some great knives and it was interesting to see how his knife taste progressed.
One of my favorites was his 5160 MACVSOG by Steve Voorhis. It was quickly modded and then sold on in order to test a new knife in CM's quest for the perfect blade as was his MO.

It was only with passing interest that I noted CMs fixed knife carry mode.
I dont carry a knife for self defense and saw no use for it personally.

How ever, I became interested as it might work for when for example wearing bulky clothes during wintertime.
I mounted a Tec-Lok on one of my kydex sheaths and decided to test carrying the knife at a slant.
I found out that it works a charm. With the pommel pointing forward and slightly down, the knife clears a bulky winter coat and what ever layers are underneath. Its also easy to re-insert the knife in the sheath.
Instead of having to awkwardly battle layers of clothing in order to get to a high riding knife carried conventionally, one just clears the jacket and puts the knife back in the sheath.

Again, I dont carry a knife for self defense and this is merely an easy way to get to a knife and an easy means of re-inserting the knife in the sheath after what ever chore it was used for. Convenient in the woods in my case. That its unobtrusive and dont advetise knife carry is just an added bonus when travelling to and from the woods IMO. This as its carried under a jacket. You dont have part of the knife/sheath visible below the jacket hem.

Here my humble version of 'CM Carry.' Im not sure Charlie Mike would have been impressed but it sure does work - also for camping/hiking/bushcraft purposes even if one does not carry a knife for self defense.

Anybody else out there experimenting with CM carry?

h8ibcL3.jpg

Ive carried all of my kydex sheathed fixed blades that way since I bought a rat-3 about 10 years ago. Except that I have the handle pointing more downward than forward.

It makes it much easier to draw and resheath. Of course, the knife should fit securely in the sheath.

ETA- to accomplish this I typically use a Spyderco g-clip or cold steel c-clip inverted.

Last edited:
You missed the bic lighter attachement. ;) Cool idea. I can see some practical aspects for larger knives. I have a hard time finding the right position on the belt, the right cant, etc for larger blades, especially a position that works for getting in and out my car.

What kind of belt buckle is that? I know I've seen that somewhere.

Ive carried all of my kydex sheathed fixed blades that way since I bought a rat-3 about 10 years ago. Except that I have the handle pointing more downward than forward.

It makes it much easier to draw and resheath. Of course, the knife should fit securely in the sheath.
Interesting. Any pics of your knife set-up?
Do you CM carry for convenience as I or for SD (or both)?

Sheath: Yes, thats imperative and I made sure of that, when I made the sheath. The knife and sheath makes a resounding 'click' when the knife goes in. Knife sits very firmly though I re-heated the portion of the kydex further down the blade to avoid (any more) scratches.

You missed the bic lighter attachement. ;) Cool idea. I can see some practical aspects for larger knives. I have a hard time finding the right position on the belt, the right cant, etc for larger blades, especially a position that works for getting in and out my car.

What kind of belt buckle is that? I know I've seen that somewhere.
Yes, I missed the Bic:)
I dont smoke and when in the woods I use a homemade kydex matchbox or the THYRM PyroVault with a Zippo insert (do often carry a small emergency case with amongst other gear a Bic). When lighting for example the little Vargo alcohol stove behind a wind screen, I find it easier to use matches.
The matchbox and the THYRM would have looked out of place on the sheath IMO:D

As for position, one does have to experiment with the angle etc.
I quite like the not too extreme forward and down angle of the knife.
Of course for me, speed takes second place to convenience.
For Charlie Mike, CM Carry was all about getting to the knife and use it PDQ.

The buckle is of the COBRA variety. I have several and in different sizes. Im a fan of the 5.11 Duty Belt (buckle) but the Cobra buckles also work well. Depends on the use.
The 5.11 belts, Ive used for years for every day use. Very comfortable and are just allround excellent belts. Also work well for air travelling due to the construction.

The Cobra buckles are often solidly made (not all Cobra buckles are equal. The one pictured is not expensive but its well made).
Nothing beats a Cobra buckle for speed of release. Important to the tacticool ninjas ... and for those with irritable bowel movements.
I must stress, that I dont suffer from either syndrome and just plain like the belts.

Last edited:
Awesome thread. I was just pondering this question the other day actually. I wanted one of matts knives for a long time and got one just in time, as he passed away only a few days after. I feel lucky to have known him and learned some of his views on knifemaking and fixed blade carry. I have been carrying my pocket bowie cm style since I got it and it has been great. As stated above its awesome in the winter time and In the summertime it is just as convenient. I often forget I'm even carrying it honestly as it never pokes into me when I'm sitting or standing, but is always there when I need it. I've used it as an ice pick to make footholds while hiking up a very steep ravine with extremely minimal edge damage. It holds an edge better then any knife I've personally ever owned and is always there when I need it. I wish I could tell matt how bad ass it is so instead ill just tell all of you lol. Rip matt

Interesting. Any pics of your knife set-up?
Do you CM carry for convenience as I or for SD (or both)?
At first I carried upside down due to convenience. I used my knife a ton doing construction during that time, and found it to be the easiest way for me to access and resheath. Especially while sitting.

I carry this way even in the summer. It keeps the sheath concealed, and usually just have part of the handle showing below my shirt. This also keeps my knife handle from poking me in the side of my belly.

You can draw the knife in either a reverse grip or standard grip easily. I have never tried with a massive knife though, usually medium or small fixed blades. No pictures of my set ups right now.

Cobra buckles.
MBxypzM.jpg

4IBqeXi.jpg

You just push the two small tabs and presto, the buckle is open. Works well.

Thanks man. And hey, don't under estimate the selling point of being irritable bowel friendly. lol

Awesome thread. I was just pondering this question the other day actually. I wanted one of matts knives for a long time and got one just in time, as he passed away only a few days after. I feel lucky to have known him and learned some of his views on knifemaking and fixed blade carry. I have been carrying my pocket bowie cm style since I got it and it has been great. As stated above its awesome in the winter time and In the summertime it is just as convenient. I often forget I'm even carrying it honestly as it never pokes into me when I'm sitting or standing, but is always there when I need it. I've used it as an ice pick to make footholds while hiking up a very steep ravine with extremely minimal edge damage. It holds an edge better then any knife I've personally ever owned and is always there when I need it. I wish I could tell matt how bad ass it is so instead ill just tell all of you lol. Rip matt
Thx.
And may I say likewise excellent input.

First of all: pic of the knife, man!
You cant just mention a favorite knife in passing and not post a pic:D

Further more, I agree with both of you - noob and jux. The CM Carry (CMC) style works in the wintertime as well as during summer. I currently use CMC these warm days under a light jacket. I just stressed winter, as for my use, CM Carry is so convenient (also) during the wintertime, as one doesnt have to dig through extra layers of bulky winter clothing to get to the knife.

noob + jux, I agree with how comfortable a knife rides in the CM Carry position as well. The sheath pictured I originally set up for scout carry/horisontal carry. Scout carry can work well but depending on the knife and sheath, I find scout carry of a knife can be uncomfortable (with knife in front/forward of the hip). Even more so with yet another carry position; pommel is pointing upwards at an angle. When squatting for when tending to a fire or cooking, the knife handle can dig into you. This is not a factor with CM Carry at all.
I of course look at the carry style only with camping/hiking/'bushcraft' in mind. Others might have other uses for the carry position.

Only CMC 'minus' is that you have to make dang sure, that the sheath holds the knife securely and thats no minus if you do your part when putting the knife away.

At first I carried upside down due to convenience. I used my knife a ton doing construction during that time, and found it to be the easiest way for me to access and resheath. Especially while sitting.

I carry this way even in the summer. It keeps the sheath concealed, and usually just have part of the handle showing below my shirt. This also keeps my knife handle from poking me in the side of my belly.

You can draw the knife in either a reverse grip or standard grip easily. I have never tried with a massive knife though, usually medium or small fixed blades. No pictures of my set ups right now.
Likewise. I mostly CMC medium or small knives. No doubt works well with latger knives, as CM demonstrated, but those I most often carry in a pack, standard carry on a belt or use sash carry. The latter of course being a different kettle of fish. Sash is also convenient for me. Knife can be easily put on the belt, is easy to get off the belt hence easy to use. Knife can also just be stowed in a pack or quickly taken off when in camp.

mrCxoOv.jpg

NFWbr7j.jpg

I set up almost all my fixed blades for carry like this. Quick and easy access. I like to position mine straight up and down for concealment purposes. As mentioned, be sure the sheath has good retention.

Highly recommended way to carry.

View attachment 1144586

Most definitely CMC inspired. Super comfortable and easily with a soft belt loop.

RIP Charlie Mike.
There you go.

Where does a soft belt loop come into play?
I CMC the knife up against a loop, which arrests the sheath upon drawing the knife - is that what you refer to?

Nice, that there are other CMC aficonados out there.

I set up almost all my fixed blades for carry like this. Quick and easy access. I like to position mine straight up and down for concealment purposes. As mentioned, be sure the sheath has good retention.

Highly recommended way to carry.
:thumbsup:
At first, I wasnt sure that it would be for me (for camping/'bushcraft' use only) but Ive certainly become a believer.

There you go.

Where does a soft belt loop come into play?
I CMC the knife up against a loop, which arrests the sheath upon drawing the knife - is that what you refer to?

Nice, that there are other CMC aficonados out there.

I have the soft belt loop (hopefully were referring the same brown attachment) wrapped over the top of the sheath and connected at the rivet eyelets. My belt is guided between the loop and the backside of the sheath to retain the sheath as I draw the knife and return it. I hope this is clear, does that answer your question? it makes for super comfortable carry that kind of adjusts itself whether sitting or standing.

When I draw the knife I pull downward, my actual pant belt loops don't impact this motion. The soft belt loop and tension from my belt are what keep the sheath in place.

I've been carrying modified cm style almost every day for well over a year now. Mostly medium sized fixed blades (up to ~5" blade length). I carry mostly left side back hip opposite my pistol for both edc and emergency backup sd. It is very convenient and comfortable. I don't carry canted like cm, just completely vertical. Works well in a vehicle as well.

Modified cm style has all but replaced my previously favorite way to carry a medium size fixed blade, iwb back left hip. CM certainly was an inspiration in many things, including daily fixed blade carry. He is sorely missed around here.

OYvm8jo.jpg

TE9Lg69.jpg

2Rnd0Jx.jpg

I have the soft belt loop (hopefully were referring the same brown attachment) wrapped over the top of the sheath and connected at the rivet eyelets. My belt is guided between the loop and the backside of the sheath to retain the sheath as I draw the knife and return it. I hope this is clear, does that answer your question? it makes for super comfortable carry that kind of adjusts itself whether sitting or standing.

When I draw the knife I pull downward, my actual pant belt loops don't impact this motion. The soft belt loop and tension from my belt are what keep the sheath in place.
Got ya.
I automatically thought of the belt loop on the pants.

Very interesting thread... I rearly cary fixed blades and prefer one of smaller size.
CM style, sort of "apendix" carry is suitable for me only on the left side, when carry firearm (not lefty )
I found the way Craytab carry to be way more useful to me if I carry large fixed blades, especially if this is the only weapon I carry.
I usually prefer to carry horizontal setup in the back of my belt. Most of my fixd blades that I carry are set up that way currently, techlock removed from the Dragon and B-made is set for a chestrig.
G4R9AW.jpg

CM certainly was an inspiration in many things, including daily fixed blade carry. He is sorely missed around here.
100% agree... He knew from experience all the tricks around quick draw of waved blade, I miss his funny videos...

Back