Charlie Mike Carry.

Maybe CM would have carried his knife left side, if he had carried a gun on the right hip. Of course he didnt pack a firearm, so I guess we will never know.
I cant recall any musings from his hand on that subject.

Very interesting thread... I rearly cary fixed blades and prefer one of smaller size.
CM style, sort of "apendix" carry is suitable for me only on the left side, when carry firearm (not lefty )
I found the way Craytab carry to be way more useful to me if I carry large fixed blades, especially if this is the only weapon I carry.
I usually prefer to carry horizontal setup in the back of my belt. Most of my fixd blades that I carry are set up that way currently, techlock removed from the Dragon and B-made is set for a chestrig.
G4R9AW.jpg

100% agree... He knew from experience all the tricks around quick draw of waved blade, I miss his funny videos...
Nice pic.
Whats the top knife - looks like a version of the MACVSOG?

Modified cm style has all but replaced my previously favorite way to carry a medium size fixed blade, iwb back left hip. CM certainly was an inspiration in many things, including daily fixed blade carry. He is sorely missed around here.

He is missed.

BTW, you may want to reverse those G-clips so the opening is face down, like on the sheath with the metal clip. Less chance of a mishap.

He is missed.

BTW, you may want to reverse those G-clips so the opening is face down, like on the sheath with the metal clip. Less chance of a mishap.
I feel they are completely secure because of the lip built into the g-clip and the size of belt I wear. They aren't easy to get off.

Edit: plus, if I mounted them the other way I would have to mod the clip to get the rid height I want. They are fine the way the are.

Last edited:
Is this an aftermarket sheath for the ESEE? Looks good. Its been a while since I had an ESEE. I really should get another.
(At least you didnt post the Difensa in CMC. Just missed one fs here:mad:).
Yes, it's aftermarket (the factory sheath stays mounted to a pack). I do the same carry with an esee 4 standard molded plastic sheath. Works great.

Keep watching for the difensa. I bought one a few years back off the exchange for $220 :eek:

One benefit of flipping the clip around is that you can clip to waistband instead of needing a belt.

I was inspired to set one up to give this a go today. So far so good. I found a position that works without noticing it sitting down (needed the cant for that). The most challenging part in the seated fit area is my car with bucket seats/side bolsters. This actually tucks in comfortably there.

My first thought was “the handle is going to be in danger of hitting things”, like a pocket clip is on folders. 2 minutes later I thumped a counter top walking by :/ . Micarta and 4V though...

This is a mirror, so it’s actually left/weak side, edge out draw:

kGs5tXBl.jpg

CM carry was how I always carried my fixed blades at my old job and outside of work, with the handle at about a 45-degree angle pointing down and towards my anterior, positioned just a touch behind and below my right hip (I wear pants/shorts that sit at the waist)

The angle is fairly simple to achieve with a tek-lock even if the holes don’t quite line up - just secure it with zip-ties.

It made for very natural-feeling unsheathing and sheathing motions, and was reasonably ambidextrous.

One benefit of flipping the clip around is that you can clip to waistband instead of needing a belt.
Not really a concern for me. These are belt knives. If I'm not wearing a belt I carry a different knife.

Yes, it's aftermarket (the factory sheath stays mounted to a pack). I do the same carry with an esee 4 standard molded plastic sheath. Works great.

Keep watching for the difensa. I bought one a few years back off the exchange for $220 :eek:
Right. Im watching like a hawk:)
Just missed out on a Difensa. It went for around that amount.

Sort of version... It's the SOG Trident, used to be a user, I got the Recon Bowie too :

RdhZAz.jpg

dcX3tN.jpg

Thought so but wasnt sure. The Trident is a god looking blade.
Ive got an old Tech1.
Always wanted an original Tomcat. Still kick myself for turning one down years ago. I thought it too expensive back then. Little did I know ...

The Trident is a god looking blade.
It is, agree...I did put some use on it but not as the previous owner.
It's a sort of story behind those two blades. Both were originally purchased by a friend of mine from Bulgaria, used to be a private security. He used to take trips in Balkan mountains. He used the Trident on a regular bases there. In one of those trips he met with some US SF guys, training some Bulgarian units. Can't find it right now, but there is a picture of the same knife with some US SF insignia on one of the mountain tops, a well know shelter... Later the guy sold all of his knives and spent the money on moutain bikes, this is how I got those two, paid next to nothing for both of them and I'm holding on those two probably till the lights are out...

It is, agree...I did put some use on it but not as the previous owner.
It's a sort of story behind those two blades. Both were originally purchased by a friend of mine from Bulgaria, used to be a private security. He used to take trips in Balkan mountains. He used the Trident on a regular bases there. In one of those trips he met with some US SF guys, training some Bulgarian units. Can't find it right now, but there is a picture of the same knife with some US SF insignia on one of the mountain tops, a well know shelter... Later the guy sold all of his knives and spent the money on moutain bikes, this is how I got those two, paid next to nothing for both of them and I'm holding on those two probably till the lights are out...
The old warhorses are nice - especially if they have some background attached to them.
I got this 40s FS from an ex Brit soldier who carried it on his webbing during 'the Troubles.'
I cant see myself ever selling this one either.
02mrTkT.jpg

Speaking of warhorses; IMO CM Carry would work well for either of the three below. I should make some kydex for one or more of them:
NKkNgYR.jpg

:D Very nice ! I evny, ha ha ha... :thumbsup: I don't have much of those, the only one other knife that wsa given to me was a old Taylor Seto tanto that I was told was in Vietnam, unfortunately I cannnot confirmm the credibility of the statement... I believe this particular model was made well after the war ended but didn't research much on it. The sheath on this-one won't allow me to carry it horizontal in any way so I just keep it at home, I find it very cool knife... :cool:

X8TFTl.jpg

Was listening to Jocko Willink's podcast with John Stryker Meyer. They were going over gear, and they mentioned knife carry, handle down. Thought of CM there.

Thx.
And may I say likewise excellent input.

First of all: pic of the knife, man!
You cant just mention a favorite knife in passing and not post a pic:D

Further more, I agree with both of you - noob and jux. The CM Carry (CMC) style works in the wintertime as well as during summer. I currently use CMC these warm days under a light jacket. I just stressed winter, as for my use, CM Carry is so convenient (also) during the wintertime, as one doesnt have to dig through extra layers of bulky winter clothing to get to the knife.

noob + jux, I agree with how comfortable a knife rides in the CM Carry position as well. The sheath pictured I originally set up for scout carry/horisontal carry. Scout carry can work well but depending on the knife and sheath, I find scout carry of a knife can be uncomfortable (with knife in front/forward of the hip). Even more so with yet another carry position; pommel is pointing upwards at an angle. When squatting for when tending to a fire or cooking, the knife handle can dig into you. This is not a factor with CM Carry at all.
I of course look at the carry style only with camping/hiking/'bushcraft' in mind. Others might have other uses for the carry position.

Only CMC 'minus' is that you have to make dang sure, that the sheath holds the knife securely and thats no minus if you do your part when putting the knife away.

Likewise. I mostly CMC medium or small knives. No doubt works well with latger knives, as CM demonstrated, but those I most often carry in a pack, standard carry on a belt or use sash carry. The latter of course being a different kettle of fish. Sash is also convenient for me. Knife can be easily put on the belt, is easy to get off the belt hence easy to use. Knife can also just be stowed in a pack or quickly taken off when in camp.

mrCxoOv.jpg

NFWbr7j.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bqx8hEhBZDB/ theres the link to matts picturers of my blade. She doesn't look that pristine now but still a beauty

Back