Cheapskate Heros

oldmanwilly

Gold Member
Howdy,

I think this topic deserves a new thread for fellow cheapskates to boast about and showcase their newest accomplishments. I'll leave the term "cheapskate accomplishment" up to interpretation, but I would think that any admirable bargain should be acceptable.

Membership in the Cheapskate Fraternity is determined here:

Did you find an awesome butcher knife for less than $10? That counts. Did you purchase a valuable collectors' piece at an estate sale for 10-20% of market value? That counts. Did you trade a $300 knife for a $500 knife? That counts. Ad nauseum.

Here's my latest Cheapskate treasure: a Cold Steel Scalper. Normally a $24.00-ish price, but I got it for $18.90-something. And now it's a must-have in my kitchen.

1000001247.jpg

The best part is that it ended up being an Old Steel model, rather unexpectedly.

1000001248.jpg

Please share your Cheapskate Treasures.

View attachment 2505425

I see a Scrapyard DT-12 in the background! CHEAPSKATE IMPOSTER! CHEAPSKATE IMPOSTER!

On topic, I got one of these multitools for $17 shipped recently, seemed like a good deal for 14c28n and G10 handles and the quality feels surprisingly good. I thought Victorinox had the market cornered on this type of thing due to their large scale production but I'm impressed with this.

maxresdefault.jpg

This Bear & Son US-made 778 “Sideliner” still seems too good for the 25 bucks it goes for on one of the big knife retailer sites:
dgkvZzY.jpeg

Admittedly, I don’t have any other modern flippers to compare it to.

It’s quickly becoming my second-favorite knife, after “my precioussss”:
ebvYiFG.jpeg

Schrade 301 is my cheapo of the day. This is a heavy-duty folder.

Specifications:
Overall Length: 8.60"
Handle Length: 4.90"
Blade Length: 3.70"
Overall Weight: 10.60 oz

It weighs more than the Cold Steel Spartan (9.0 oz) or 4 Max Scout (10.2 oz), that's how heavy it is!

What I especially like about his knife is its smooth action: it opens very easily with a slight flick of the thumb. It is amazing how smoothly such a heavy blade slides when pushed gently with your thumb.

Eca60GL.png

nG1akrE.jpg

OroSi0G.png

QSVikh4.jpg

I see a Scrapyard DT-12 in the background! CHEAPSKATE IMPOSTER! CHEAPSKATE IMPOSTER!

On topic, I got one of these multitools for $17 shipped recently, seemed like a good deal for 14c28n and G10 handles and the quality feels surprisingly good. I thought Victorinox had the market cornered on this type of thing due to their large scale production but I'm impressed with this.

maxresdefault.jpg
How do you like the overall construction, good fit and finish and how is the walk and talk of opening the main blade? Thanks for sharing.

How's this for an extremish cheapskate move? I'm adding a tiny knife shop in my business for in person sales. Sure I'll make a few bucks on it, but I'll also be able to shore up my collection at wholesale. Take trades, get first shot at consignments, meet some local knife folks and so on. lol

How do you like the overall construction, good fit and finish and how is the walk and talk of opening the main blade? Thanks for sharing.

I'd say the main blade walk and talk is crisper than on a Victorinox, but it's also easy to manipulate and has a half stop (I can just barely pinch open but YMMV). The saw blade feels about the same as on a Vic, scissors maybe a little crisper. The biggest issues are that the awl on the back is a real nail breaker and the scissors have a little more play in the pivot than I'd like.

On the back it looks pretty much exactly like a SAK; the backsprings and liners are stamped out, rounded, polished, and fitted together in the same way. I also like the chamfered G10 handles and more locked-in grip.

I'd say the main blade walk and talk is crisper than on a Victorinox, but it's also easy to manipulate and has a half stop (I can just barely pinch open but YMMV). The saw blade feels about the same as on a Vic, scissors maybe a little crisper. The biggest issues are that the awl on the back is a real nail breaker and the scissors have a little more play in the pivot than I'd like.

On the back it looks pretty much exactly like a SAK; the backsprings and liners are stamped out, rounded, polished, and fitted together in the same way. I also like the chamfered G10 handles and more locked-in grip.
Thanks.

Back