"Checkering" doesn't mean giving Dick Nixon a Dog

Here's one that came out of the shop today.

Made a little 7 inch Turkish Twist Fighter, with Rust-Browned Damascus fittings and file-worked stainless accent spacers.

The handle has a three-piece file-worked stainless frame and domed faceted stainless pins.

After sculpting the African Blackwood handle scales, I thought I'd try my hand at checkering.

Now to send this one to Paul for a dress suit.

John

Last edited:
John - That is spectacular!
If I had peened those pins the checkering wouldn't look quite as nice.:eek:

-Peter

John, that whole knife is fantastic. The damascus is awesome, blackwood is classic and the lines of the whole knife are perfect. But the checkering and the rust brown fittings are the icing on the cake.

Looks like you've been checkering for years. Really a great knife.

I'm diggin it. Big time.

Wow--that has a lot going on! Love the checkering job--very crisp, and the smooth contrast line really complements the handle contours. The beautifully smooth/even rust-browned guard finish, the flowing blade profile and the twist Damascus are all outstanding and together make this a standout piece for me. Just beautiful, John.

Love that, John! That's one of my favourites from you. The checkering is a very nice touch...might have to try that;) Keep it up...see ya in Little Rock:thumbup:

Looks like a very clean job on the checkering, but that's no surprise as everything you do looks that way.
You going to start engraving at some point?

Last edited:
There is so much thats just so right with this one John. I love the pins on the checkered handle. That show an extreme amount of skill and control. Peening pins is one thing I am working one right now. Thanks for sharing.

Chris

wow! to be honest I have never been a big fan of the look of damascus steel but you may have changed my mind! that knife looks incredible!!

Fantastic as usual Mr. White!!!

If you hadn't included the text, I would have bet good money you hired out an old hand to do the checkering... SO WELL DONE!

I love the browned fittings as well. I did some quite a few years ago. Wanna to do some more, but need to figure out the process again so I don't end up with the dreaded splotches. :foot:

Thanks for sharing John! :)

John - You sure don't give yourself a chance to get bored! The swoop through the checkering and peened pins up the ante a lot, are especially nice touches. I really like the way the browned guard and spacer pull everything together. Did I mention the blade? Nice work!

Back