Chef's Edge DVD from Korin

I think you guys need to try some of the jeweler's ruby stones. Not the sintered ones, but the synthetic solid ruby. They are expensive, but nothing that I have seen cuts and polishes better. I think www.riogrande.com has them.
Bill

What else have you seen? Which steels have you used one on?

Thom
I have seen a few different stones, and used them on a few different steels. (I'm assuming you're joking!)
Ruby is corundum. The only thing harder is diamond. The diamond hones use diamonds imbedded in a nickel matrix. Each grain is individual.The ruby stones I am referring to are solid ruby. The surface finish of the actual stone is what makes them abrasive.
Bill

Thanks for assuming I was joking. Have you sharpened steel chock full of vanadium carbides with such a stone? Vassili had to switch from sintered ruby to diamond paste to get the finish he wanted in a reasonable amount of time. The idea of a solid AlOx block graded to a fine grit finish sure is appealing.

For what it's worth, silicon carbide (gray and green), boron carbide, and cubic boron nitride are all harder than aluminum oxide, cost less than diamond paste, and work awesome on paper over glass.

Back to the subject,

Everyone has different learning styles and doing styles and Chiharu's method of teaching just locked better into my noggin; took less time than Carter's vid, too.

No, I haven't. But as a final finish I would think the ruby would be superior to anything short of solid diamond. I sure won't give a grabby edge, but would polish better than any granular abrasive. It sure works on high carbon, 440, and such.
Bill

She Whom I Willingly Obey spoiled me with my very own copy of "The Chef's Edge" yesterday! w00t!

Back