Chimera Question?

So what is better for general purpose use?

Plain Edge?

Or Serrated Edge?

Use would be general purpose but also having to cut set belts if needed is one example.

I'm a First Responder and have cut seat belt straps with a (sharp) plain edge and it cuts like warm butter. I have no idea what all the fuss about needing a serrated edge to cut seat belts is all about.

Serrations are for bread knives. :0)

Thanks I went with a the original, found I should of gone with straight edge but I got it for a multipurpose tool, and found out a few uses for the serrations...proving my long term thinking for this knife was right. (This time! :D ) I do have a lot of other straight edge OKC knives.

I got this knife as free of choice for me waiting for a while for my SP-53s they are replacing with new production and I got to wait a bit, I was offered any knife from their sight and they even asked Serrated or Plain Edge so I looked at my options decided to try the Chimera as what I thought I needed (turns out it is working out well)...really really it was a hard choice but logic won out on that one. (Dang evil logic). I don't hack and slash things every day with it, but its nice to have around, and so far I haven't destroyed the point on it some how as I'm using it as a working knife. Its a nice tough sharp knife and hunk of 1095. Really this is a GREAT GIFT OKC gave me! Only complaint is one snap is SO hard to get off, but thats about it. :D

Squirt a little 3&1 oil into the female part of the snap. Work it around the little compression ring inside with a Q-tip. Should cure your snap issues.

Thanks LostViking!

During the holiday season fond the D2 Glass breaker is great for cracking nuts! But ya got to hit it right on! It saves wear and tear on my RD hilt coatings. :D

Hello how is everyone I own the serrated version of this most excellent blade I am having a little trouble putting a good edge on it but besides that it's a very nice knife I am eventually going to purchase the plain edge one also I would have no hesitation depending on the chimera in the field as my primary blade

OK.......Apex, Roguer and Steve what is it about this knife that you all like.....I understand the aesthetic part but what about the actual usage....

Inquiring minds want to know...........................................

I hope this thread is still monitored. The strapping on the sheath is ridiculous. The top snap doesn't even reach! The plastic, scabbard is fine, but the nylon strapping g is like an afterthought. Is there a way to remove and replace or do I just pay for something useable?

Did you try calling customer service? This Covid crap has put a lot of companies in confusing quandaries that might or might not let them be "essential" active companies to even be open.

Good point. No, I haven't. My initial reaction was to return the knife to Midway, but then... I got it back out of the box and started looking at the knife itself. I hadn't given the actual knife a chance because the scabbard was so bad. I'm keeping this knife. It's perfect for the job I bought it to do. (It's going to stay in my truck.)

Looks like it. It’s not on Ontario’s site and most dealers show it as discontinued or unavailable.

Its not in the latest catalog. According to Tooj, OKC keeps every thing to make the sunsetted knives if a demand for them comes along. Like the resurrected SP-5.

Yes, the Chimera has been discontinued.

Shame that, i'm not the biggest knife collector, but do have probably close to 40 good blades, I have 8 or 9 Ontario knives and they've been great, but the Chimera is the king, i'm an avid outdoorsman, so my knives get used and tested quite a bit, hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and the Chimera really excels at everything, and most definitely if the S ever does hit the fan and the zombies/commies invade lol, this will be the blade I strap on.

Make another one and do it in 3V or even 5160 and i'll pay whatever you ask for it and take two.

I can only take the non sharpened swedge off my property do to living in an "EVIL DAGGER STATE". Seems to work ok but for weight it rides the pack not the belt.

Back