Chit Chat About Guns,,Reloading ,Ect

I know J1m is a Glock guy. Not much experience with 308s other than ARs so Im not much help there.

I have been working too much lately to do anything really. I have Monday and Tuesday off so I will get some time than. I plan on grinding the Parang and three Bushcrafters along with heat treating one of those days. Than Ill work on the handles in order that they were ordered. So...J1M, you, and Bowmore 17 will have your Bushcrafter finished next week!

Im not looking forward to grinding the Parang though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have some definite strong opinions in your search for an iron-sighted .308.

Here is your one-time,balls-to-the-wall,final answer:

M-95 Mauser.

A lighter version of the M-98 Mauser,that wrote the book on: Bolt Action,PERIOD.

The M-95 is known as a "small-ring Mauser", the M-98's are "large-ring Mausers".

Several thousand M-95's (mostly made in Spain,IIRC; referred to as: Spanish Mausers) were taken to Springfield Armory and re-barreled w/ new .308 carbine barrels.(pretty sure,from memory, it's a 22" barrel; know it's a 1 in 10" twist)

Fine,durable weatherproof shooters! And .308 ammo is in the top 5 in the U.S.A. re: largest amount available / caliber.

My sons bought one each,by saving their allowance! for $108 each,and they still own 'em...and still shoot 'em.
Took a good while to get all the Cosmoline outta everything,but definitely worth it.

Both rifles will shoot ~3" @ 100 yards from a rest,and none of us are iron-sight-shooters!

Keep in mind: the receivers are case-hardened....which means a bitch! to drill & tap for scope base,if you change your mind....and you'll need an aftermarket bolt,to clear the rear scope 'bell'.Or find a gunsmith willing to tackle heating & bending the bolt handle,to clear.

In fact,if you mention ANYTHING Mauser to a gunsmith,and he gets a funny look on his face,do us both a favor....back out the door,slowly....and take his number outta yer cell phone....he ain't no gunsmith! if he don't do Mauser....where the Bolt Game began.

I'll bet you can find surplus M-95's for less than $150 each....make DAYM sure they're chambered for .308! And immediately: take the stock off, throw it in a brushpile,and replace it with a "sporterized" stock....last one I glass-bedded for a friend, came with a decent recoil pad (original= steel buttplate!) and the new stock was $59,IIRC....mebbe two years ago.New stock was one lb. lighter,had a modified Monte Carlo cheekpiece,and could be shortened easily,to fit your Lady.

The basic Mauser was intro'd in 1898....and they simply don't fail,jam or break.

My buddies who are competing @ 1000 yards,and One Measured Mile @ Thunder Valley Range in Ohio?
Their custom made high dollar wildcat actions are basically single-shot 21st century Mauser copies!

I am serious: you'll thank me later.
Or I'll buy 'em.

Is that convincing enough?

Awesome Gnarly! I love old surplus rifles. I got into them a few years back. The M-95 and the Swiss K-31 are my two favorites so far. Both really accurate and cheap! Ill have to call you sometime and get some knowledge on the subject. I am still a newbie.

lol ok i will look at them, but your saying that to get a scope put on you have to do allot of custom work? I don't mind iron sights, but a scope is nice.

While we are talking about surplus, find yourself a CZ-52 and buy it. That thing it clunky as crap but shoots a 7.62 that throws a massive fireball when shot. Ive had mine for a couple of years and after about 3000 rounds of surplus ammo it has never malfunctioned. Fun as crap to shoot. Another is the CZ-82. Great gun for about $100.00

I never could understand the thinking behind the M9. They tried to replace what is arguably the finest combat handgun/cartridge combination of the 20th Century with a wonder 9. No surprise here that it just didn't work. I've heard all the arguments about interchangeable ammunition with allies, the 9mm being so much better at penetrating body armor, larger capacity magazines with lighter rounds, and all the rest. I've shot 9mm's, a LOT of them, dozens of brands and models. I owned a Beretta M92 for years. It's a great little round for shooting tin cans and paper targets, and, loaded with good hollow points, an almost passable self defense round if you can accept the "double tap" theory (I can't. To me, that's just another term for "spray and pray") but if I'm going to pin my life on a handgun, it's going to have to be one that I trust, and I just don't trust any 9mm loaded with FMJ ammunition.

Okay, my rant's over. Anyone who wants to tear into me, feel free.

man this is getting confusing trying to look for old surplus rifles...i wonder if the used gun store is going to be opened tomorrow...i do better with gun in hand

lol White...i agree. the 9mil is a fun round to shoot, but it jsut doesn't do it for me in the self defense area. my bet would be on the .40 S&W for the new round of choice. We will see though, oyu never know whats going on in the minds of the powers that be

Well, I disagree on the 9mm. Well, not really disagree but IMO it is plenty sufficient in hollow points for self defense. I don't really like the .40, If Im going with something larger its gonna be .45

lol ok i will look at them, but your saying that to get a scope put on you have to do allot of custom work? I don't mind iron sights, but a scope is nice.

I must have misunderstood,Alan.
I thought you were looking for a .308 in iron-sights-only,in your earlier post.
Sorry I ranted & raved, in the wrong direction.

~Gnarly

I never could understand the thinking behind the M9. They tried to replace what is arguably the finest combat handgun/cartridge combination of the 20th Century with a wonder 9. No surprise here that it just didn't work. I've heard all the arguments about interchangeable ammunition with allies, the 9mm being so much better at penetrating body armor, larger capacity magazines with lighter rounds, and all the rest. I've shot 9mm's, a LOT of them, dozens of brands and models. I owned a Beretta M92 for years. It's a great little round for shooting tin cans and paper targets, and, loaded with good hollow points, an almost passable self defense round if you can accept the "double tap" theory (I can't. To me, that's just another term for "spray and pray") but if I'm going to pin my life on a handgun, it's going to have to be one that I trust, and I just don't trust any 9mm loaded with FMJ ammunition.

Okay, my rant's over. Anyone who wants to tear into me, feel free.

Welcome to the subForum,white avenger. Nobody here tears into anybody who offers their opinion!

no worries...I am thinking that the best way to go would be with a rifle that has both iorn sights and can easily fit a scope.

Something like the browning X-bolt Medallion with open sights, or the Remington 700 BDL

the only problem is that i didn't see ether of those in a .308, so maybe that's not the round i should be looking at

those mausers are cool looking guns though

I think .308 is an excellent choice. There are so many to choose from. You say that the price should be under $1000. Is that the price of the rifle or the rifle + scope?

Back