Recommendation? Choke up metal hatchet

I'm looking to buy a metal hatchet. I found to Estwing 16" camper axe to fit my need as it's an hybrid between for chopping and splitting wood. I don't mind the grade of steel.

My problem with it is simply that it's not made to choke up the head.

So I'm wondering if there would be someting else I could buy that would make me happy. I could also make a "handle" out of paracord right under the head, but I don't know if it would be comfortable.

My spec ares;

Mandatory;
- All metal core
- "Hammer" on the other side
- Easy to index
- No tom--hawk

Flexible;
- 14" to 18" overall lenght
- 125$ budget
- Hybrid for chopping and splitting

Plus but not needed;
- Lanyard hole

If that one checks all your boxes except an alternate handle location, I’d suggest working what you have.
Id try to build up a palm swell and go with a cover wrap of tennis racket or baseball bat tape.

If that one checks all your boxes except an alternate handle location, I’d suggest working what you have.
Id try to build up a palm swell and go with a cover wrap of tennis racket or baseball bat tape.
I don't have it yet. It does check all my boxes but I'm willing to pay a bit more for something that would me "made" for it. Also there are people on here that are way more knowlegable than me, so I'm always curious to see if someone can shred my initial idea with something better.

That being said, do you think it would be comfortable enough? I know it is quite narrow and that I will most likely not wear glove. I look for something between "not hurt myself" and "comfortable".

Why do you want an all-metal core? Finding something with the metal core and a good grip up by the head will probably be impossible, you'd be better off looking at something like a Council Tool Flying Fox if you want to choke up on it.

I don't have it yet. It does check all my boxes but I'm willing to pay a bit more for something that would me "made" for it. Also there are people on here that are way more knowlegable than me, so I'm always curious to see if someone can shred my initial idea with something better.

That being said, do you think it would be comfortable enough? I know it is quite narrow and that I will most likely not wear glove. I look for something between "not hurt myself" and "comfortable".
The only thing that comes to my mind is vintage older version (wider handle) Bridgeport hatchet
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-bridgeport-hdwe-mfg-camp-axe-3841740772

Why do you want an all-metal core? Finding something with the metal core and a good grip up by the head will probably be impossible, you'd be better off looking at something like a Council Tool Flying Fox if you want to choke up on it.
1. I don't mind heavy.
2. I destroy wood handle with 3-4 overstrike (with an axe though).
3. I prefer when it's more handle balanced as it is stronger on short and fast strike.
4. As my first real hatchet I want something with low/no maintenance.
5. I will use it to turn tree over and I know fiberglass is no good at prying.
6. I'm not looking for comfortable, mostly that I don't hurt myself so 1/4 thick is enough.

What is the reason behind avoiding very good quality vintage products?
The second-hand part. I don't want to end up with something welded back together, almost broken or that lost his tempering. I would like a bit of warranty and help if it get lost in transit too.

If your allergic to a wood haft get a Fiskers and call it a day.
Handle weight is the devil with axes, an absolute performance killer.
It change performance, it does not kill. Why would it kill it?

If you are not going to add something to the tread, just don't post.

It change performance, it does not kill. Why would it kill it?

If you are not going to add something to the tread, just don't post.
Garry's post was not trolling, at all. It was helpful, common sense advice. It is all about balance, vibration, and weight distribution.
To tell you the truth, you overestimate your ability of doing overstrike damage to short handle hatchet.
My advice: buy Flying Fox (you will never regret it) https://www.baryonyxknife.com/cotoha.html
or Rigger's Axe https://www.vaughanmfg.com/Products/RB-28-oz-Rig-Builders-Hatchet__20420.aspx#.YMLK4n4pDIU

Last edited:
Axes work best when the mass is as much in the head as possible. Weight in the handle robs the head of power and increases the total weight of the tool, leading to a heavier tool that doesn't work as efficiently, making for a net loss.

If you like a straight handle, and don’t mind a straight edge:

Be aware that Estwing makes a longer version of the one that Stelth showed, the 16” riggers “Axe”. It’s not really an axe, but it is a darn good alternative to a 28oz framing hammer on farm jobs, rustic setting or log cabin job. The balance is better in some positions, and paired with 16” end nippers it’s a great demolition tool. You don’t see them much on permitted jobs any more, probly because some chair polisher thought they were overly dangerous.

Myself, I’m looking at the Off Grid Tools “truckers friend”. It’ll be my new truck hatchet, even though I’m not a trucker.

Parker

Garry's post was not trolling, at all. It was helpful, common sense advice. It is all about balance, vibration, and weight distribution.

I get your point and I can agree, but telling someone to "get a fiskars and call it a day" is not an advise, unlike "my advice:get that one or this other one" which is.
To tell you the truth, you overestimate your ability of doing overstrike damage to short handle hatchet.
Maybe I do, but I know I can be brutal. Still my main worries lies in bad maintenance. I may forget it in the rain, it will be in the bag I get on a boat and I don't know what else. It won't be stored in a dry place either. I don't want to replace the handle every couple of years, not for a first hatchet.

Axes work best when the mass is as much in the head as possible. Weight in the handle robs the head of power and increases the total weight of the tool, leading to a heavier tool that doesn't work as efficiently, making for a net loss.
I don't own it, but I've used it. The balance is like two inch bellow the head. As I swing it with my wrist too when I strike, it just become better for me with more handle weight. It rotate easier and thus strike harder. Same for choked up, the balance right in my hand will get me stronger short strike.

That being said, it does have an impact for chopping wood. It's something I tough about, but I'm not going to use it all day long. It's 3lbs after all.

It's going to be use mainly to split firewood, then for fire building, then for brand triming when a tree fall down and then for shelter building is need arise.

So while I understand the advantage of wood, I think that I would benifit from the advantage of steel, while not being so affected by its disavantage.

If you like a straight handle, and don’t mind a straight edge:

Be aware that Estwing makes a longer version of the one that Stelth showed, the 16” riggers “Axe”. It’s not really an axe, but it is a darn good alternative to a 28oz framing hammer on farm jobs, rustic setting or log cabin job.
I disregard straight or curved handle, same for the edge.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't seem to be fit to split wood or to choke up no?
Myself, I’m looking at the Off Grid Tools “truckers friend”. It’ll be my new truck hatchet, even though I’m not a trucker.
It seem to me to be a good overall tool and I know the compagny work improve their product too. It's just not made to be in the wood, it's more of a construction/urban tool.

Back