Chopping some Damascus for Kiridashis

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Here's the new chop saw, it will be a lot better than the carpenters saw with chop saw blade that I had been using. :D

Check the massive piece of .23" Damascus!

013-20_zps4587e839.jpg

Using a push stick - I thought I could lay this stuff down flat and just chop it but it has to be slowly pushed into the saw instead

015-18_zps274b6ed6.jpg

Damascus being cut!

017-18_zps7b69c6c6.jpg

Thanks guys!

The Damascus is 416 layer random pattern and made from 52100, 5160, 15n20 and 203e steels. I had been looking for a thick billet for a while and was excited to see this one, the pattern is really cool in my opinion and it is .23" thick!

damascus nerdery -
The 203e is for nickle content which really stands out when etched versus the other steels. The 15n20 has nickle in it too but etches a little more... then the 5160 and finally the 52100 which usually goes pure black.

So its gonna be on my folder? hehehehe It's gonna make someone really happy!

maybe save some of the scrap for some backspacers for the folders, or maybe even some guards or spacers for knife handles. Bolsters? Clips? maybe make a standoff that extends past the end of the folder handle with a lanyard hole drilled into it?

The 203e is for nickle content which really stands out when etched versus the other steels. The 15n20 has nickle in it too but etches a little more... then the 5160 and finally the 52100 which usually goes pure black.

I'll be in my bunk.

maybe save some of the scrap for some backspacers for the folders, or maybe even some guards or spacers for knife handles. Bolsters? Clips? maybe make a standoff that extends past the end of the folder handle with a lanyard hole drilled into it?
:thumbup: Now we talking :D

Cool! Finally some Damadashis! :D
Could I order one similar tot he custom 'dashi fom this billet? :D

Id have to say, your wrap around harpoon tip on a folder with this steel with a polished tip and edge and etched hollow ground belly would be killer.

OK that's on! I like every single idea.

I have two Damascus pendants that I ground... they are finished and I keep meaning to put them up for sale here. My wife Sara is going to put some Sterling Silver jump rings on them so they can be strung on most chains easily. (I know you guys like the big gold 1" rope chains but these will just work on that regular stuff :D )

We used to make and sell jewelry together as a team, I did a lot of prospecting and grinding stone and she is great with Silver wire and more. One day I got the idea to try a stone handled knife but a kit didn't seem right....

I'll be in my bunk.
lmbo!!!

:thumbup: Now we talking :D
That's right! :D

Cool! Finally some Damadashis! :D
Could I order one similar tot he custom 'dashi fom this billet? :D
:cool: No problem on changing the order at all, I think most of you want that design and I will do it that way per request... you guys are my posse! I gotta keep us in style.

Id have to say, your wrap around harpoon tip on a folder with this steel with a polished tip and edge and etched hollow ground belly would be killer.

Thanks for the kind words!

LOL... that's good :thumbup:

Can't wait to see these come alive Daniel. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!

By the way, I tried to PM you... Thanks! I'll get in touch soon. I just completed the sheaths for some Ti Backpackers today so I can get you one soon! green too.. :D I should have some ready tomorrow.

Toothbrush handle??!!
Righteous!!
:D

lol it's more gangster that way!

Snoop is into the whole laminated knife thing or something, he talks about sharpening the toothbrush. Probably a custom WT in carbon fiber and 24 karat.

[video=youtube_share;LC2OpFMBReg]http://youtu.be/LC2OpFMBReg[/video]

Back