Chosera/nan/2k

Not challenging you.. No - it don't sound silly.. What I was referring to, "that's all I can afford" what I meant is I can't afford to go out an buy another entire new set of more waterstones, because someone else suggested that I do. My grammar maybe different from were you are from. I am just a simple country boy, from East Tennessee, so I limit myself to things I can't 'afford' meaning I have a cut of valve and don't buy every stone I see, although sometimes I would like to if I could afford, but other priorities in life come first..

---Mike

You don't need to buy anything, just stop using coarse stones if you don't want spurious scratches (although those scratches have NO effect on the shave).

The Shapton 4k glass stone is an extremely fast stone when lapped before every use and used with pressure. Just be certain to rinse thoroughly under running water after lapping it.

On that subject have you used the Naniwa Hayabusa stone, and is it good for razors?

I really wanted to like this stone, it is fairly hard and has decent feedback. It is also mixed with natural stone material and when you sharpen on it you get a very nice earthy smell. The big problem with this stone is the lack of cutting speed, Its almost identical to a King Ice Bear 4k but about 25% slower, loads more and has a very hard time on stainless or high hardness.

I have the Naniwa 1k Gouken Kurouto that I pair with the Cho 3k or Cerax 6k. It's much like a king 1k deluxe but WAY faster and I believe Silicon Carbide abrasive so it easily handles a wide range of steels. Odd they would make the 1k so powerful and the 4k so weak.

Back