Chris Reeve Green Beret Video Desrtuction Test Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Busse is not the "best", they don't have a folder...haha....:foot::D

One butt scatcher and pass the popcorn.

:grumpy: Yeah! What's up with the folder?

Until then I am very happy with my ZT0301. And no, I do not pry with it. ;) (But I probably could with this beast).

And here you go:
1109%20Backscratcher_1.jpg

:p:D:thumbup:

We shouldn't feed the troll. He is looking to just aggravate everyone. It is obvious now to many people that the GB is not the knife they were looking for. It also obvious that if you want a real hard use knife, you need a Busse or Strider. I am a big fan of both. People will still buy GBs though, as they are a great looking knife and feel good in the hand. They will serve most people very well, even a $20 cheapy from China made from unknown stainless will serve the average Joe for basic tasks (if he knows how to sharpen it, over and over again). Why do we want the best and most extreme knife possible that will survive an atomic attack? Because we can. And thanks to Noss we can really get a good idea of which knives fit the bill without the market hype as he pushes a knife way beyond what everyone else will ever need their knife for.

Thank you That’s a nice one. In reality Busse doesn’t need a folder, they are doing just fine with the fixed blades. Plus, there are plenty of great folders out there; custom and production including the CRK Sebenza.

I completely disagree with bearcut that noss has an agenda. However, there is some truth in the statement that when some aspect of the knife (extreme use and toughness) are the main criteria for judging the knife other aspects, i.e. stain resistance, cutting performance, stabbing and finally weight become less important for the final mark (number of stars).

For that reason I am hoping that we can convince noss to add some tests like phone book stabbing and soaking the knife pieces (after the test) in a salt water so we can have even more complete picture :) Adding more hatchets in the mix will be also fun as some of the knifes tested weight more than a typical hatchet/tomahawk.

As for the GB test I am a little bit disappointed as the two stainless knifes (Fallkniven A1 and Strider) fared better.

As for comments on "cutting ability instead of toughness" - well, cutting ability is quite important, and to be honest, I'd prefer it over "toughness". It also usually means lower weight, which is also a plus.
However, speaking of this knife, I have my doubts about this knife as great cutter - 56HRC, 5.6 mm thick, saber grind - all of these tell me that it is not great cutter (or in better words it can not be).

We shouldn't feed the troll. He is looking to just aggravate everyone. It is obvious now to many people that the GB is not the knife they were looking for. It also obvious that if you want a real hard use knife, you need a Busse or Strider. I am a big fan of both. People will still buy GBs though, as they are a great looking knife and feel good in the hand. They will serve most people very well, even a $20 cheapy from China made from unknown stainless will serve the average Joe for basic tasks (if he knows how to sharpen it, over and over again). Why do we want the best and most extreme knife possible that will survive an atomic attack? Because we can. And thanks to Noss we can really get a good idea of which knives fit the bill without the market hype as he pushes a knife way beyond what everyone else will ever need their knife for.

Good point. It never gets you anywhere to feed a troll.

Speaking on behalf of someone who was ACTUALLY THERE at the time that Noss started hosting his site (and ever since then), the reason he went on to test the Busse is because he had an enormous amount of requests to do so...for an entire year!! He was constantly getting asked, "when you gonna test a Battle Mistress, Noss?" When he finally received his Battle Mistress, he took it out into the national forest and used it. He found it to be an awesome knife. Because he had used it to chop firewood all night, though, the knife was no longer "right out of the box", so he ordered another one to conduct the test with...also, he wanted to keep one to use because he goes camping overnight at least once or twice a month. The only difference at the time was that he had a combat grade battle mistress, but wanted to test and see what the thicker, "fat" Battle Mistress could do.

Now, I got a chance to hold the ffbm before the test, and to those who haven't actually held a Busse before, you really get a respect for it when you actually wield that enormous piece of steel. You feel like, if given the time, you could chop through a freekin dump truck with it.

There was a point during the test where Noss had it in the vice an inch above the tang and was swinging the 3lb mallet into the handle like Barry Bonds and I swear, i felt that if I could filter out the sounds of Noss huffing and puffing like a bull and the clang of the impacts, I would hear the damn thing laughing at him. Like after ten rounds with Muhhamed Ali, he leaned into George Foreman and said, "come on, George, is that all ya got?" Even after all the abuse that the knife had endured, all you had to do was sharpen a new edge on it and you could take it out and chop firewood all night without any apprehensions as to whether or not it could handle the job. After he pounded that knife through the metal piping the first time, I seriously doubted if he could test the knife to failure. (Noss and I had that same feeling when testing the Strider as well)

Noss likes his big fixed blades because that what he takes on his camping trips. So, if it seems like all he does is give credit to the Busse, it is because out of all the knives he has tested, it is the Battle Mistress that he chooses to use, regularly. And, as far as Noss testing the knife outside its "perameters", when Noss contacted Jerry Busse and told him that he was gonna be subjecting the knife to an intense regiment, what do you think was Busse's response? What were his exact words?...let me think...oh yeah, now I remember--he told Noss to "beat the sh@t out of it!"

And, one more tidbit for the conspiracy theorists: the temperature outside was about 76 degrees farenheit when he tested the Green Beret. It was FREEZING outside when he tested the Busse. How do I know? When we got out of the unairconditioned and unheated shop where he conducts the tests, Noss' huge dog bowls were almost completely frozen over. However, if you watch the Busse FFBM destruction test, does the knife seem at all affected by the low temperature?...yet another reason why Noss loves his Battle Mistess.

Knifetests.com Cameraman

I admit I used to think the whole Busse thing was a bit silly.
I have since decided it is quite worty of it's reputation, and after getting a couple of swamp rats, I am ready for my first INFI!
I really do think Busse is as good as it gets for toughness.

After reading this entire thread I felt compelled to respond and all I can say is thank you Noss4.

We Special Forces soldiers had no idea what a low end knife the Yarbrough was until your scientific testing proved otherwise! And because of your scientific methodology I will be sending USASFC and USASOC (that’s United States Army Special Forces Command & United States Army Special Operations Command) a link to your webpage in hopes we never again procure such a knife for our fighting men!

Following the eloquent and well written prose on your webpage and I quote:

First off: For some who don’t seem to understand. The knives I test are heavy use work military, tactical. Combat knives. These are not show knives They are meant to be used. Individuals determine the use of their knives. Not I and not public opining.
http://www.knifetests.com/page29.html

Noss, you’ll be happy to know we’re also recalling all of our M4’s as none of them stood up to your scientific testing procedures. We attempted to replicate your methodology and banged our M4 receivers with a three pound hammer and to our disbelief none of them stood up to the test! (And Noss, you should have seen what happened when we used your “Flex” test on our laser target designators!)

We will soon be testing our satellite radios & GPS locators using your “Chopping” destruction procedure and will attempt to drive tent stakes into concrete.

Noss, again, based on your scientific testing, methodology and reasoning we hope to be soon testing all of our Special Forces equipment. Because as we all know it’s NOT show equipment it’s “heavy use work military, tactical. Combat” equipment. Thank you for writing that and we’ve taken the liberty to send it to all those that “For some who don’t seem to understand”.

Bless you Noss and thank Odin you’re on our side!

Team Sergeant
MASTER SERGEANT
SPECIAL FORCES
(ret)

PS You’ll be seeing my Yarbrough on ebay soon!;)

And BTW, We were going to send the NAVY SEALS a copy of all our correspondence in hopes that they also change their procurement procedures and realize the level of sheer genius in your testing methodology, but, your website has long “sentences” and as we all know the Navy SEALS don’t read so good. Also, the picture of you wearing that mask and holding that big “heavy use work military, tactical. Combat” knife sent “tingles” up my spine and would definitely be “over the top” for the SEALS, do you think you could lose the mask and put on a “SpongeBob” outfit with maybe some fins? (A frightened SEAL is an awful sight to behold.;))

After reading this entire thread I felt compelled to respond and all I can say is thank you Noss4.

We Special Forces soldiers had no idea what a low end knife the Yarbrough was until your scientific testing proved otherwise! And because of your scientific methodology I will be sending USASFC and USASOC (that’s United States Army Special Forces Command & United States Army Special Operations Command) a link to your webpage in hopes we never again procure such a knife for our fighting men!

First off: For some who don’t seem to understand. The knives I test are heavy use work military, tactical. Combat knives. These are not show knives They are meant to be used. Individuals determine the use of their knives. Not I and not public opining.

Noss, you’ll be happy to know we’re also recalling all of our M4’s as none of them stood up to your scientific testing procedures. We attempted to replicate your methodology and banged our M4 receivers with a three pound hammer and to our disbelief none of them stood up to the test! (And Noss, you should have seen what happened when we used your “Flex” test on our laser target designators!)

We will soon be testing our satellite radios & GPS locators using your “Chopping” destruction procedure and will attempt to drive tent stakes into concrete.

Noss, again, based on your scientific testing, methodology and reasoning we hope to be soon testing all of our Special Forces equipment. Because as we all know it’s NOT show equipment it’s “heavy use work military, tactical. Combat” equipment. Thank you for writing that and we’ve taken the liberty to send it to all those that “For some who don’t seem to understand”.

Team Sergeant
MASTER SERGEANT
SPECIAL FORCES
(ret)

And BTW, We were going to send the NAVY SEALS a copy of all our correspondence in hopes that they also change their procurement procedures and realize the level of sheer genius in your testing methodology, but, your website has long “sentences” and as we all know the Navy SEALS don’t read so good. Also, the picture of you wearing that mask and holding that big “heavy use work military, tactical. Combat” knife sent “tingles” up my spine and would definitely be “over the top” for the SEALS, do you think you could lose the mask and put on a “SpongeBob” outfit with maybe some fins? (A frightened SEAL is an awful sight to behold.;))

laugh.gif

I've NEVER heard anyone from Special Forces with quite so much sand in his vagina. Some Airmen, maybe. . .

I think its pretty amusing that a knife that's ~1/4 the thickness and 1/50th the price can handle the same test without breakage, even when upping the hammer to 8lb instead of 3.

Team Sergeant
MASTER SERGEANT
SPECIAL FORCES
(ret)

:yawn::yawn: "Everybody's gotta be a comedian..." :rolleyes:

Butt Scrathcasssssss!!!!!! Get Ya Butt Scratchers Here!!!!!!!!! Butt Scratchaaaassss!!!!!!!!

Since it appears that the sarcasm bar is being raised ...

I think I can answer questions like these (which in one form or another have been asked many times but never answered):

If toughness is not in the GB spec, then what are the design specs of the GB knife? Other knives cut better, chop better, and are tougher. So what is the GB's purpose and design spec exactly?

In reference to your statement, above: What design aspects are relevant to the Green Beret, which the other knives that performed better do not meet?
Specifically what is the high standard you expect of them?

with a single picture:

GBPlaque.JPG

I think the issues being raised here are worthy of discussion, but the thread has devolved into too much insulting, backbiting, and trolling. I'm going to lock this one.

I don't see what the big deal is.

Seriously, I don't.

The Noss tests prove what it takes to destroy a knife; that's it. As others have stated, toughness is only one component to what a knife is. From first hand experience, I know how tough and robust Busse products are - I use my Busse Combat Basic 7 that I got 8 or so years ago for most of my rough field tasks. I participated in the rope tests where the Busse Combat Basic 9 was able to push cut through a 1" manila rope almost 2000 times before we ran out of rope (and it was still going strong). The INFI & Modified INFI steel are phenomenal, and no-one disputes that.

S30V isn't INFI. AUS8 isn't S30V. Laminated VG-10 isn't AUS8. A crowbar is strong as hell, but it can't cut worth a damn, right? A 3/16" thick knife isn't the same as on that is .25" thick or .5" or .125". So take the tests for what they are - he was able to break the Green Beret Knife by smashing it with a 3lb sledge. If the knife had shattered or chipped out while being batoned through wood with a 2x4 that's one thing. If the edge went dull after going through cardboard it'd be something - or if it couldn't even cut through it.

However, that's not what happened. The knife cuts, that's not disputed. It doesn't take well to being smashed with sledgehammers while in a vise. If you are going to do that to your knife, buy something else. Choose the right tool for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back