Clan of the Classic

If the rambler was as available all over like the classic, for almost the same price, (I'd be willing to pay a small bit extra for the mini phillips) I'd probably agree with you. But…and here's the big thing with the classic, it's the combination of availability, price, and variations of the theme that does it.

...Carried a lot but used little. I'll stock up and buy a bunch and use them as give aways for people I see without knives. I think of classic's as the Giddeons Bible of pocket knives.

If more stores sticked the rambler or manager in the numbers of the classic, for a price that was closer, it would be a different game. But they don't, so the classic is Victorinox's gateway drug to SAK's. And for most people in a modern urban/suburban environment it's good. Handles all the basic functions of knife cutting, scissors, small phillips screws, and can even open a bottle if you use the SD tip of the nail file the right way. Most people just put ne on their keychain and forget about. And it's there when you need it. The classic is the Bic pen of pocket knives. :)

Well said, Carl (as usual)! :thumbup::thumbup:
"The Gideon's Bible of pocket knives" is a magnificent description. :D
Since I became re-interested in pocket knives a little over a year ago, I've over-reacted to my many knifeless years and carry way too many pocket knives with me each day. But the Vic Classic is the one I use the most, by far, for day-to-day tasks.
I need a lesson, though, on the right way to open a bottle with the nail file! :(:eek:

- GT

Well said, Carl (as usual)! :thumbup::thumbup:
"The Gideon's Bible of pocket knives" is a magnificent description. :D
Since I became re-interested in pocket knives a little over a year ago, I've over-reacted to my many knifeless years and carry way too many pocket knives with me each day. But the Vic Classic is the one I use the most, by far, for day-to-day tasks.
I need a lesson, though, on the right way to open a bottle with the nail file! :(:eek:

- GT

Take the beer bottle in your left hand, and with your right, put the SD tip of the naolfile under the flange of the cap. Gently twist the SD tip so it bends out the flange a bit. Then move it along tot he next ripple and do it agains. Don't lift up and pry with the nail file, but just twist it until it bends up the aluminum edge of the cap. By the time you've went about 1/3 of the way around the top, it pops off with a thumb. Takes about 10 to 15 seconds to do it. There's a zillion ways to open a cold one, ranging from a Bic lighter, a folded up dollar bill, a spoon, house key, and others. When my son came home after his first semester at college, he showed me all the beer opening tricks. I'm glad I got something back for all the money we spent on his college education!:grumpy:

My son John trails a lot for his job, and he's a very loyal classic carrier. He says it goes well with is overseas travel in Europe. He doesn't like being without some kind of small knife/tool and he uses it in office work. The SD tip is a great staple remover, and the scissors come in handy. He goes to the Scandinavian cities a lot, like Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, and says the knife laws there are very strict, but a small SAK goes under the radar.

Take the beer bottle in your left hand, and with your right, put the SD tip of the naolfile under the flange of the cap. Gently twist the SD tip so it bends out the flange a bit. Then move it along tot he next ripple and do it agains. Don't lift up and pry with the nail file, but just twist it until it bends up the aluminum edge of the cap. By the time you've went about 1/3 of the way around the top, it pops off with a thumb. Takes about 10 to 15 seconds to do it. There's a zillion ways to open a cold one, ranging from a Bic lighter, a folded up dollar bill, a spoon, house key, and others. When my son came home after his first semester at college, he showed me all the beer opening tricks. I'm glad I got something back for all the money we spent on his college education!:grumpy:

Fine, if you have the patience. I have tried several of these techniques, too often winding up with frustration or a mess. Anymore, I don't even make attempts at field expedient decapping tricks but prefer to pop a cap with my Rambler, even more with any 91mm SAK. Takes a second, therefore much more satisfying (I have a short attention span for these light chores, I want my beer NOW.) However, it's good you got some return on your son's educational investment :D .

Fine, if you have the patience. I have tried several of these techniques, too often winding up with frustration or a mess. Anymore, I don't even make attempts at field expedient decapping tricks but prefer to pop a cap with my Rambler, even more with any 91mm SAK. Takes a second, therefore much more satisfying (I have a short attention span for these light chores, I want my beer NOW.) However, it's good you got some return on your son's educational investment :D .

Maybe you're not holding your mouth right!

But seriously, in all my years I don't think I've ever suffered any ill effects from having my beer delayed 15 seconds or so. And like I said, I don't see the other 58mm's as much or as low cost as ramblers or managers. Show me some 2 dollar ramblers and I'll buy some.

Thanks for the bottle-opening lesson, Carl. Sounds like I was using the correct technique when I tried it last week, but I wasn't patient enough. If I practice and get it down to 10-15 seconds, that will be a worthwhile life skill to have! ;)

Good story about your son. At my college, all the beer-opening classes fill up VERY fast! :D

- GT

Good debate on the Rambler...thanks for the words of wisdom "Jackknife". I agree...if the big box stores had a $10 Rambler, I'd snatch one up in a moment. But over twice that price online just isn't worth it to me right now. I can add a couple of attachments to my keyring, if need be, to make up for the difference between the Rambler and the Classic tools. A Gerber Shard or a 4-way screwdriver will still fit in my watch pocket...

Classic SD in standard red Celidor scales here. I have it with me every day but it is almost never used. I keep it in a small first aid kit I made from an Altoids box, along with bandaids, alcohol pads, gauze, tape, Neosporin, etc. I thought it might be handy to have the tweezers, small scissors, and small sharp blade all in the self contained kit.

I got the Rambler cousin with the intent to carry it but I ended up giving the Rambler to my wife. She gets some use out of it now and then.

I guess owning one grants me basic lobby access to the club house but since I don't really use it I'm not allowed into the elevator to the upper floors. :D

Good debate on the Rambler...thanks for the words of wisdom "Jackknife". I agree...if the big box stores had a $10 Rambler, I'd snatch one up in a moment. But over twice that price online just isn't worth it to me right now. I can add a couple of attachments to my keyring, if need be, to make up for the difference between the Rambler and the Classic tools. A Gerber Shard or a 4-way screwdriver will still fit in my watch pocket...

That's where I am. I'd like the rambler, in theory, but if you double the price for just one added tool, then it's reaching the point of diminishing return very fast. Do I need the bottle opener? no, so it's a waste for me. Do I need the very small phillips? Again no, I don't do IT work or other fine electronics work, so the SD tip on the Classic is good for me. It deals with the more common size phillips well. So, for a case of my own use, as in YMMV, the standard classic does great.

I'm sure there are people who find the rambler a better tool. I'm sure there are people who find the manager, and even the mini champ a better 58mm. But I think the classic is rightly named. Since it's Victorinox's most popular model, a lot of people must find it the best for them.

If I think I'm going to need more tool capability, then maybe I'd just go for a Leatherman micra that I am becoming fond of. But 99.999% of the time, it's the classic on my keyring.

That's where I am. I'd like the rambler, in theory, but if you double the price for just one added tool, then it's reaching the point of diminishing return very fast. Do I need the bottle opener? no, so it's a waste for me. Do I need the very small phillips? Again no, I don't do IT work or other fine electronics work, so the SD tip on the Classic is good for me. It deals with the more common size phillips well. So, for a case of my own use, as in YMMV, the standard classic does great.

I'm sure there are people who find the rambler a better tool. I'm sure there are people who find the manager, and even the mini champ a better 58mm. But I think the classic is rightly named. Since it's Victorinox's most popular model, a lot of people must find it the best for them.

If I think I'm going to need more tool capability, then maybe I'd just go for a Leatherman micra that I am becoming fond of. But 99.999% of the time, it's the classic on my keyring.

We're talking nuances here. If you don't need the small magnetized ph or bottle opener, then the Rambler would be pointless, but I like and use both, even though I don't do IT or any fine electronic work. Additionally, the key ring is on the wrong end of the Classic, sometimes getting in the way while using implements opening in that direction. Like you, however, I wouldn't buy a Rambler for twice the price, but I got mine for $3 more than what the Classic sold for at the time. That's doable. With patience, bargains can still be found.
All said, over time I have bought a number of Classics for gifts, and the recipients liked them, so it is at least a good starter pocketknife. Whether it is best for them, I couldn't say. From my biased viewpoint, I think most people would be better off with a Super Tinker or Climber, but for an itty bitty SAK, the Classic is okay. Just.
I'm also a big Micra fan, although I don't think it's a tool for the masses. Too "industrial." It's more for people who regularly use and appreciate tools. The Classic is more hand and pocket friendly.

I have a small blue alox classic on my keyring, and carry my keyring on a carabiner clipped to my front belt loop. No one bats an eye at the classic, and it comes in handy. I carry a peanut every day as well. I would like to extend an olive branch to the new Clan of the Classic from the Cult of the Peanut.

Darth Vanadium
Grand High Muckba of the Cult of the Peanut

We accept the branch, and pass it back with a new notch carved in with our Classic. Thanks you for your kind diplomacy. If only it could work like this in Washington D.C.!

Black classic SD on my key ring here. For a year, it split time with the leatherman style CS, and then for a year, it split time with the leatherman micra. Now it's taken over full time because I use every tool on the classic sd, while the others had tools i simply never used, and it's more compact than the CS and micra.

Most of the time, I carry it paired with another small pocket knife ... Case mini copperhead, buck 373 or buck 379. Although sometimes a pioneer comes along for the ride.

Looking at the responses so far, it seems like the Classic is a great companion knife. For me, during the work week, the Classic goes solo. On the weekend, its paired with a larger SAK, Peanut or Sodbuster. The Classic may be more acceptable to the "sheeple" of the world...

I have yet to pair it with my Tramontina machete, however. That might be a stretch...

By the way...I'm glad a representative from our Clan has accepted the olive branch from the Peanut Cult. May our posts continue to be fruitful with more pictures!

I have one on my keyring too. I do not use the blade often, I usually have other knives at hand, but the scissors are great! I truly is a Classic!

I hope it is allowed to mention a variant of the Classic that may be useful. The Victorinox Jetsetter is like a Classic but wthut the small knife blade. This item is supposed to pass safely through airport security checks. It may be worth looking at, though I have not used one yet.

This was posted before errors were cleaned up. My mistake.:mad::D

Last edited:

I'm in! My grandfather gave me this one when I was in the 8th grade. I'm 46 now. I haven't carried it that entire time, but it's been in my pocket for many long stretches at a time, including serving as a true EDC during my first stint in Europe, 1993-98. I carry it from time to time these days, but mostly I carry it in my shaving kit on trips for fingernail maintenance, etc. Just too tiny and handy not to tote along.

-- Mark

I have a small blue alox classic on my keyring, and carry my keyring on a carabiner clipped to my front belt loop. No one bats an eye at the classic, and it comes in handy. I carry a peanut every day as well. I would like to extend an olive branch to the new Clan of the Classic from the Cult of the Peanut.

Darth Vanadium
Grand High Muckba of the Cult of the Peanut

Actually, classic's and peanuts make a very effective team. :thumbup::thumb up:

The Cult and the Clan should be allied.

I am about to retire my green alox classic in a few days. Its been on my keys for probably 3 years. I would only replace it with one tool and I finally ordered one so once it gets here the classic is getting the boot.

The Classic was my very first knife, when I was around 8 or 9. I wish I could find it because it had a lot of stories behind it.

Now I exclusively carry a Rambler with gray scales I got from Central Valley Wholesale a few years ago. Even snagged one as a backup in case something ever happened to the first (I'm known to lose things). It has some advantages over the Classic if you don't mind the little bit of extra thickness. The knife blade is on the correct side of the knife, away from the keyring. The addition of the combo tool on the Rambler gives you an adequate bottle opener, a pretty useless wire stripper, and a phillips screwdriver. Can't say I have used the combo tool all that often, but it's nice knowing it's there. In truth, the scissors and nail file get the most use. So much so, I really don't know what I'd do without it. The knife blade has come in handy when needing a knife at work and I don't want to pull out my scary-looking 4" folding pocket knife.....

I could get by with a Classic, but as a 'maximum minimalist', I like tools that pack as much as possible in the smallest possible footprint. The Rambler fits that bill, but the Classic is still a great little tool.

Back