Classy, yet tank of a folder? Help needed! TSF, Dua, Slysz Bowie, Techno, or???

I had similar criteria in mind when I picked up my Gayle Bradley 1. It has not disappointed in any way, I give it high marks, and think you should certainly at least hold one before rejecting it. I will also say that the Slysz is on my list as one of my next acquisitions; however, I do still have a couple other things to get prior to pulling the trigger on it.

Other considerations from Spyderco: one of the Ti Millies if you like that blade shape. It is a fairly heavy duty knife.

If budget permits, a Nirvana. The Nirvana is definitely tank-like with the one piece handle, and a quite solid framelock. The blade is nice and chunky, matches the handle well. Plenty of class, IMO, with the "broken glass" pattern on the handle, the fact that the pattern is etched, and that the lines go around the entire handle and meet perfectly on the back of the handle. The operation is smooth; you can flick the blade open, and it deploys with a nice, solid thunk as the lock engages.

If you are fortunate enough to have a better budget, you could always grab the original Rassenti knives version of the Nirvana. Plenty of classy and beautiful build there.

Have fun choosing!

Last edited:
The GB 1 is definitely a fine piece from Spyderco. If I didn't already have one with some Sketchen scales on it I would absolutely snatch one up.

Military is a great knife but a little larger than I'm looking for and the Nirvana is just not my cup of tea aesthetically.

The budget is probably around 300, but I'd expand for the right blade.

I appreciate all of the suggestions guys.

I wax on and on on these boards about the Slysz Bowie so I'll just say it gets the nod from me :)

Many pics from myself and others in this thread for a little motivation ;)

OK.

Now you're going to put me on your ignore list, but...get a Chubby. 😂 Quite stout and tank like, screams class, well within budget - you can find them NIB on the secondary market for ~$160. That leaves plenty for some custom work.

Bowie - the GB has been mentioned - the Bowie carries much better and I think is a better cutter. The plant in Taiwan does a fantastic job - I cannot get over how well they put a knife together. Great blade steel, excellent lock, TI scales that are contoured to fit your hand. The finish on the blade is very unusual for Spyderco - almost polished? Spine is rounded which is a nice touch. I was on the fence about the Bowie - I was hoping for a 4" blade and finally ordered one - its now one of my favorites. It is not one of my hard use folders, but just looking at it, you know it could take just about anything you wanted to throw at it.

84174bf6a6b499de79ce448ca1925b4e.jpg

Here is the Bowie and the Karroll Fatty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey guys,

I'm really struggling with my next purchase and there's no other place than BF to get this sorted out.

What I'm looking for -

A) Sharp, relatively classy looks - Preferably all Ti, but open to suggestions.
B) Lock type - No real preference, but I do like the "tank" type knives
C) Would prefer that it run on washers - I'd like to avoid bearings although I realize that most of the concerns surrounding bearings are probably unnecessary
D) Blade length - Probably no longer than 3.5"

Use will be general EDC, but I want this thing to be able to take a beating if need be.

As much as I respect the Sebenza, it's just not for me.

TSF Beast, Grayman Dua, Slysz Bowie and the Techno are what I've tentatively narrowed the search down. I'd like to hear opinions on these 4, but also would love to hear other suggestions. That's what BF is for!

Edit: No flippers please.

Thanks guys

If you want a midtech they're generally going to start at 400. Contact Olamic and ask if it's possible to use washers instead of bearings, grind the flipper tab off, and adjust the detent tension to work well with the hole. I'd bet it's something they could pretty easily do. They like to add special touches to everything and are definitely willing to listen to ideas and try to implement them.

z4zrIo5.jpg

Just Google olamic 247 and see what kind of mods they do to their midtech line. What you want should be pretty easy and not that expensive.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ola...hVilFQKHXSJAAYQ_AUICigE&biw=360&bih=560&dpr=4

If they're willing to do this then I'd bet what you want would be incredibly easy

Q1HfBzh.jpg

Last edited:
Those Wayfarers are gorgeous knives, just not exactly what I'm looking for at the moment.

For those of you with the Slysz Bowie, what's the lock up like? Early, late? How does it wear? Would you hesitate to use this knife hard? I have no intentions of using any of my knives as a pry bar, but as far as cutting with lots of force.

I figured we'd have more TSF and Dua supporters enter the thread.

I have the tsf beast. It's not the best slicer due to the blade thickness but I love it. It looks and feels stout and sturdy but at the same time, it's smaller size makes it appear classy and less threatening (if you're worried about that sort of thing). It's action is smooth and as mentioned earlier, Jim is a nice guy to work with. I'm thinking about getting a second one in a different color.

Slysz Bowie is very nice. They lock up late like a Sebenza. Actually they feel very Sebenza-like. Washers, not bearings. No lockbar insert. Rounded spine. I think it's an extremely capable knife. It's not heavy enough for me to consider it a tank but I can't imagine a cutting task that it wouldn't be able to handle.

Pretty much that^^^. Loud and strong lockup, one of the loudest I've ever heard. It is very, very thin behind the edge, which is why it slices like a po'd demon. It is also built quite tough, and the bonus is (sounds like I get commission on these darned things LOL) if it isn't for you, selling is easier than falling on wet ice.

Yup my lock up is late. The lock bar is fully engaging the tang. Its been that way since shortly after I got it and hasn't really moved at all. I love it. It makes the knife so solid. It's been flicked open thousands upon thousands of times and done heavy cutting.

iT1XtYu.jpg

You can also see in the pic how nicely "melted" every edge on the knife is besides the cutting edge. Makes it feel glorious in hand.

Last edited:
TSF just started offering a thinner, lighter and better at slicing beast. It is on their facebook page. Has a new waterjet texture as well vs the standard beast.

New blade is .110 vs .160 if memory serves me correct. Jim offers the standard profile and a rounded butt if you request. Pics are out there if you search.

Lionsteel sr2 gets my vote.
Mine is aluminium, but titanium is available too....
Also damasteel blades that look uber classy imho!

Tanks dont come classier than this.
SR2A_015.JPG

SR2A_012.JPG

Last edited:
Seriously, that is one of the coolest knife pictures I have seen on here in a long time. That is the cutest little newts, or whatever it is...

Russ

I agree, what a cool pic!

Maybe you'll like this one too? There are a couple friends in there :)
6ln3AwT.jpg

Back