Claying for hamon

Lots of guys like 3m, I use Rhynowet Redline. Decent price, does an awesome job.

I just etched the blade and got what I would call...a triple line hamon. It did an auto hamon at a really good spot and then two edge quench lines showed up. I am really happy with the auto hamon so I will continue to etch.

This is after a 10 min etch in warmed vinegar, blade was hand sanded to 800 grit. I will sand to 1000 before etching further as there are some scratch lines in the hamon. http://www.barefootblades.com/Bladeforums-example.html

What do you suggest for polishing? I have a couple different compounds and some people apply them to rags? I also have sandpaper up to 1500 grit. If I got some of the powdered pumice and rottenstone from lee valley how would I use it? Rags?

This isn’t a hamon, it’s an edge quench. Different things. It looks nice, but it isn’t the same as a hamon.

You mix the powdered abrasive with water to a runny mix. Much like the automotive polishing compounds that are pre mixed, but a bit thinner. I use cotton makeup pads to polish.

This isn’t a hamon, it’s an edge quench. Different things. It looks nice, but it isn’t the same as a hamon.

You mix the powdered abrasive with water to a runny mix. Much like the automotive polishing compounds that are pre mixed, but a bit thinner. I use cotton makeup pads to polish.
The line isnt where I stopped quenching. It is like you said would come up, an auto hamon. The lines for the edge quench are actually those lines that are nearer the spine. What powdered abrasives do you suggest? and that would be more easily attained than pumice?

The line isnt where I stopped quenching. It is like you said would come up, an auto hamon. The lines for the edge quench are actually those lines that are nearer the spine. What powdered abrasives do you suggest? and that would be more easily attained than pumice?

1500g sic abrasives are available for cheap on eBay as rock polishing compound. You can get a decades worth for $10-$20. I bought mine about four years ago, a ziplock bag worth, and I still have over half of it left.

Back