Coated or bare INFI?

Cost aside, I'm curious if anyone actually prefers coated over satin or industrial grade? The 1st busses, SY, an SRs I bought were coated. one day I sprung for a fat Ash1 that was satin and I have NEVER looked back.. infi in the nude all the way for me. What say you?

Well, got to know Busse knives decades ago when some weirdos were beating the crap out of knives. That thing was called "knivedestructiontest.com" or something alike...anyway saw the busses perform there and ever dreamed of having One, But somehow this was impossible due to money and Country and and and..gosh where am i...Ah Yes coating.
Well i like to use my knives and coating offers me some extra protection layer, and when you see the amount of Stress and Friction that it needs to ruin that Layer, well then you can cut and chop a good while, unless you us it against cinderblocks.

So conclusio: Not that id have anything against dc or competition, But a Layer of colorcoating does if for me.
Extra conclusio: im not waging wars against anyone but a Dark busse Blade literary fades Into nite when a satin or other polish just radiates...but again thats just my cup.

Greets weasy

#1- satin
#2- BIG satin
#3- stripped

Bare INFI all the way!

I'm the same except my #2 after satin is competition finish.

#1 satin
#2 competition finish
#3 BIG satin
#4 stripped

But like edgeweasy mentioned, my "combat" knife is CG black/black micarta in a leather sheath since it's quieter than kydex.

I like coated just fine for a field knife especially when I am worried about keeping INFI dry. But I think most users aren’t going to get stuck in positions where they can’t properly care for their knives in the field. That being said, I don’t own any more coated Busse’s. I just accept that the blade will need some TLC when I get back.

Comp for handling and drooling over and enjoying at home and maybe batoning.

Coated for my survival/combat kit because of less maintenance, lower reflectivity, and the fact that the decarb rusting issue has been solved for years so even scratched up coated is still less maintenance than satin, comp, stripped, or Double Cut.

Last edited:
Satin for me please.

If I could get the custom shop to strip and satin finish every one of my coated blades I would.

Definitely bare nekkid INFI.

1) B.I.G.
2) Satin
3) DCBB

I really like that with not much effort, I can sand DCBB for a Ghetto Satin at a lower price.

That said, I miss the Tanker Gray coating. I mean, it’s the closest to the color of steel, what’s not to like. :cool:

I prefer Competition Finish even over satin...

it's got tons of character, :cool:

it provides the perfect camouflage for stray marks when used, :thumbsup:

plus it's bare INFI-- which is as near stainless as I need. :)

ul35d9B.jpg

joDzmxI.jpg

EEuPt69.jpg

xnCsH2n.jpg

TJlR6RD.jpg

This one has character, originally black, and removed - by a previous owner - somewhat roughly. But I also like my coated Bussekin. Black the least favorite. Tan, gray, and most greens look great.

upload_2019-10-5_3-37-36.jpeg

Last edited:
Love my coated combat grades. it probably did start as a budget reason, but I'm also pretty harsh on them in terms of leaving them muddy/wet sometimes. I do cook with them when camping and satin is probably better for thin slicing, but I haven't had an issue yet and figure I can always strip down the line.

I buy coated.

If I end up using the knife a lot, I strip it and sand it for what seems like an eternity.

None of the finishes typically available are smooth enough for me.

My current sanding project is a DS6 I had stripped a while back. I'm up to a nice satiny 400 grit paper. Going to take it to 1500 then polish with rouge on a wheel.

Back