Cold steel 2014

This is the description that Blade HQ has: The Cold Steel Heavy Machete features a sheepsfoot 1055 carbon steel blade with a black backed-on anti-rust matte finish and a 5-5/8" polypropylene handle. Sheepsfoot blade on a machete sound's like the old Sax machete to me but I could be wrong. Hope we find out soon either way.

Could be. I'm still wondering if we're actually getting them at all. It's been awhile since CS added anything new to their 2014 page, it at least seems like they're done. Makes me wonder if BladeHQ got some faulty information, or if CS changed their plans about releasing those, or something else.

Man, lots of whining about lack of folders. Name one company that releases a pile of new stuff every year, not only that but a huge variety of interesting stuff?
Folders are boring, people going on about minute changes in already existing folders that would add nothing substantial pretty much ruined the thread I started about interesting projects they would want to see.
Some new steel or different thumb stud in a folder you already own is not interesting! Cold Steel is the only company doing any of this off the wall, cool stuff and everyone whines about folders. :(

Name one company that releases a pile of new stuff every year, not only that but a huge variety of interesting stuff?(

Kai(Kershaw/ZT), Condor, Spyderco(I'm not as fanatical about their designs as some people but they got a lot of fans)...was that question supposed to be rhetorical? I know there's a lot more stuff I'll be picking up from Kai and Condor this year than I will from Cold Steel, and even Spyderco has about as many things as I'd like to get, they are just more than I am willing to pay($200 for the Karahawk...don't see that happening, even though I'd certainly like to have it). Ka-bar only has a few designs coming out this year, and even from those handful there's 3 of them I plan on getting, which is at least currently the same number of things I plan on picking up from CS(though if CS announces those machetes that BladeHQ lists as due out they will likely pass Ka-bar).

Now back to the point, we like folders because we USE folders. I can carry a different folder every day of the week, but no matter what folder I carry on a given day, I will use it. Machetes and big knives can be used for hiking, camping, and yard work. Even spears are sometimes used for hunting. However, we aren't samurais, we aren't knights, we don't spend the day hunting vampires or zombies, so...the ONLY time we will use a sword, or poleaxe, or warhammer is when we goof around slicing up fruit or water jugs out in the yard. Don't get me wrong, that can be fun, and there's nothing wrong with owning swords and poleaxes or whatnot, but in terms of usefulness, they just...aren't that high on the list, and a lot of people just aren't interested in spending $200 or whatnot on something that has literally no practical use. Even a lot of the people who are willing to pay for it aren't real likely to buy several of them, whereas a lot of folder guys will pick up several different ones.

Luckily there are many other companies making folders, lot's to choose from. Only one company is making these fun toys, so I am quite pleased they are continuing to do so. They may only get used to cut the odd water jug, but I have dozens of other folders and fixed blades, not sure how practical another one of those is, either.

OOC? I am buying 3 each of everything new this year.

Truthfully, the English bill and possibly the Thai machete.

OOC? I am buying 3 each of everything new this year.

Truthfully, the English bill and possibly the Thai machete.

OOC=Out of curiosity.

I do find it kinda odd you're praising them for putting out all this cool stuff that nobody else does but...not actually planning on buying much of it either. That's the other point I was making-a lot of people, even the people who like the swords and stuff, aren't gonna be buying the whole lineup. Why not put out say, a few less swords, add some folders? That way, they'll be getting money from all of us-the sword fans would still have swords, the folder fans would have folders, the machete fans would have machetes...there's clearly plenty of people here willing to hand CS handfuls of cash for things other than swords, so why not give us some things we will hand our money over for? They are putting out 6 swords, 5 spears, 3 polearms, and 2 folders(counting the XL Counterpoint)...why not say, do 5 swords, 4 spears, 3 polearms, and 3 folders? Sword fans would be happy, spear fans would have options, you'd still get your billhook, and there'd still be a couple of folders for those knife guys out there too...little something for everyone, rather than only catering to a portion of your fanbase.

OOC=Out of curiosity.

I do find it kinda odd you're praising them for putting out all this cool stuff that nobody else does but...not actually planning on buying much of it either.

Why would you find it odd that I do not buy everything I see that I like?
I do not find it odd that I don't have very much money, just sad.

Why would you find it odd that I do not buy everything I see that I like?
I do not find it odd that I don't have very much money, just sad.

Usually the people excited about new products are the people planning on getting them.

Just think of me as the kid who gets excited at Christmas reading the catalog full of toys, but ends up with socks, and try not to hold it against me.

I second another user's question- With the new spears/ lance, are the sockets fully enclosed or are they wrapped around like the boar spears of yesteryears?

I love CS Tri Ad lock folders. Got three of them and got CS fixed blades to.Also the Trench Hawk. I think it's good they make all this "mall ninja" stuff. Instead of just making basically the same shit over and over again there trying to appeal to everyone and make not only good knives but fun stuff to just fuck around with in the woods. Wish they would make a mourning star or something like it maybe they already do. Wanna buy some of their heavy throwing stars and see if I can cut in half some sucker fish when they start running. Bet I could. Their just trying to appeal to a fun factor that nobody else really does that I think is great and the "mall ninja" shit actually works and is deadly.

Not as good as last years new stuff but still pretty good. I'm still buying stuff from previous years so i'm not in a rush, lol. What i hate is when companies discontinue stuff i haven't got around to buying yet. At least Cold Steel doesn't kill off a big section of its line every year. And most of the Cold Steel stuff is in my price range (except maybe the primo sword stuff). Honestly IMO the only knife companies this year at SHOT that went above and beyond with new stuff was ZT/Kershaw and Condor. Most of the rest were "meh". Cold steels new stuff wasn't as impressive as ZT/Kershaw and Condors but it was still better than the majority of new stuff offered by the rest.

I second another user's question- With the new spears/ lance, are the sockets fully enclosed or are they wrapped around like the boar spears of yesteryears?

I have only seen the prototypes of these items, but those were all fully enclosed sockets...

When are the Elands going to be arriving? Geez, it's almost March. Hurry up! Lol.
I am curious as to what the Giraffe is going to look like in 2015. I'm hoping it's blade will be at least 12 inches.

Last edited:
View attachment 409555

Magnum Warcraft Tanto
Blade Length: 12"
Blade Thickness: 5 mm
Overall Length: 17"
Steel: U.S. CPM 3-V High Carbon with DLC Coating
Weight:18 oz
Handle:5" Long G-10
Pocket Clip: Secure-Ex® Sheath
MSRP: $409.99
Link

View attachment 409601

Man at Arms Series - Hand and a Half Sword
Weight: 50.4 oz
Blade Thickness: 1/4"
Blade Length: 33 1/2"
Handle: 9 1/8"
Steel: 1055 Carbon
Overall: 42 5/8"
Scabbard: Leather Scabbard With Blued Steel Fittings
MSRP: $369.99
Link: http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/88HNHM/MAA_Hand-And-A-Half-Sword.aspx

Much want on both of these. I am happy to see CS using CPM-3V on more stuff. It is the best steel, IMHO.

I absolutely love that Frontier Bowie, I will have to pick one up towards the end of April for my birthday

Back