1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Cold steel AK47 or Recon 1???

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Mr.Tech, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Mr.Tech

Mr.Tech

Feb 18, 2014
    I'm thinking about to buy a new folding knife and I'm about the AK47 and the Recon 1..

2. Smokinape

Smokinape

Jan 21, 2011
    I am a fan of the recon 1

3. shortstack

shortstack

Feb 1, 2011
    My vote goes to the AK due to the "wave" type feature.

4. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I am not a fan of the hook on the back of the grip on the AK. But I like the thumb plate. I love the grip on the Recon 1. Split the difference and get the talwar.

5. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    AK 47 is my favorite CS, only one really. But that talwar mini is a close second.
    The AK has a sweet hollow grind that cuts like a razor. The pinky area really locks in your hand.

6. Taja

Taja

Feb 17, 2014
    the big hunting store like Gander, buss pro shop, Cabelas or so on may have both of them in stack, so you can try how it is in your hand. I wanted mini AK for long time but then happen to see it and tried to hold. I found that it too big for me and my 3rd finger stuck against the bulge instead of go into a groove, which save me some money, but left me disappointed. I saw recon in Cabelas and AK in Gander

7. canuckchuck

canuckchuck

Jan 19, 2011
    love the AK my favorite work knife because for the price you can abuse it a bit and it takes it well . fairly tough knife

8. Ulf Krogstad

Ulf Krogstad Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2013
    I'd go with recon 1. Got 2 of them. Reasons I wouldn't get ak 47 would be the handle shape and not long enough blade length for me.

9. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    Oh yes, the pommel on the AK also opens beer like a charm and is great for prying. I used it to pry my subaru door open while unlocking the car with a yardstick. What a gem that thing was.

10. Mr.Tech

Mr.Tech

Feb 18, 2014
    Change of plans.. I'm going for the Spartan!

11. Mr.Tech

Mr.Tech

Feb 18, 2014
    You have the regular AK or the mini??

12. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    Had the Full size AK. The mini is way too small for me.
    But it was a great for a utility knife with a great tip to pierce. And the pommel came in handy many times for prying and bashing. It really was a work horse.

13. Kwon Kwang

Kwon Kwang

Jul 7, 2013
    I love them both, I actually have my AK-47 on me as I type this, but my vote goes to the Recon 1. Its clip is far superior pocket carry, whereas the AK-47 requires thin fabric to clip onto.

14. twid

twid

Apr 7, 2009
    I have both. I love the AK-47. The Recon just sits in my truck. I do use it once in a while but I don't care for the finger grooves at the top of the handle. Doesn't fit me well. The AK is a great work knife for me though and I've found many uses for the pommel.

15. dkb45

dkb45 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I have an AK and am not a fan of it. The handles came with the texture of 80 grit sandpaper (pretty sure I could have stuck the damn thing to the wall), the pocket clip makes it ride REALLY high in the pocket, the thumb disk isn't very comfortable, and it doesn't wave on a lot of my pants (edge of the pocket is too thick for it to catch). The aluminum pommel is also... really dumb. Screws threaded into aluminum is a very bad idea.

16. twid

twid

Apr 7, 2009
    Why is that a bad idea? The motor in my car has an aluminum block, aluminum heads, and an aluminum manifold with an aluminum supercharger on top of it. Bolted and screwed together. These parts see way more stress than any pocket knife will.

17. dkb45

dkb45 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Much much much much smaller threads. I have seen way too many screws tapped into aluminum strip out with little effort compared to what it takes to strip out in steel or titanium. Aluminum doesn't have the same strength as steel or titanium.

18. Ryanol

Ryanol

Aug 24, 2011
    Get an american lawman and strip it.

19. Jeru

Jeru

Mar 19, 2011
    Neither. Get a Spyderco or ZT with better steel. (You can get AUS8 for 25 USD in a RAT1 or Utitlitac II and for that money those knives are awesome.)

20. markabdon

markabdon

Nov 6, 2013
    I have both but carry the recon1 every day everywhere. it has never failed me.