Cold steel AK47 or Recon 1???

I'm thinking about to buy a new folding knife and I'm about the AK47 and the Recon 1..

I am not a fan of the hook on the back of the grip on the AK. But I like the thumb plate. I love the grip on the Recon 1. Split the difference and get the talwar.

AK 47 is my favorite CS, only one really. But that talwar mini is a close second.
The AK has a sweet hollow grind that cuts like a razor. The pinky area really locks in your hand.

the big hunting store like Gander, buss pro shop, Cabelas or so on may have both of them in stack, so you can try how it is in your hand. I wanted mini AK for long time but then happen to see it and tried to hold. I found that it too big for me and my 3rd finger stuck against the bulge instead of go into a groove, which save me some money, but left me disappointed. I saw recon in Cabelas and AK in Gander

love the AK my favorite work knife because for the price you can abuse it a bit and it takes it well . fairly tough knife

I'd go with recon 1. Got 2 of them. Reasons I wouldn't get ak 47 would be the handle shape and not long enough blade length for me.

Oh yes, the pommel on the AK also opens beer like a charm and is great for prying. I used it to pry my subaru door open while unlocking the car with a yardstick. What a gem that thing was.

Oh yes, the pommel on the AK also opens beer like a charm and is great for prying. I used it to pry my subaru door open while unlocking the car with a yardstick. What a gem that thing was.

You have the regular AK or the mini??

Had the Full size AK. The mini is way too small for me.
But it was a great for a utility knife with a great tip to pierce. And the pommel came in handy many times for prying and bashing. It really was a work horse.

You have the regular AK or the mini??

I love them both, I actually have my AK-47 on me as I type this, but my vote goes to the Recon 1. Its clip is far superior pocket carry, whereas the AK-47 requires thin fabric to clip onto.

I have both. I love the AK-47. The Recon just sits in my truck. I do use it once in a while but I don't care for the finger grooves at the top of the handle. Doesn't fit me well. The AK is a great work knife for me though and I've found many uses for the pommel.

I have an AK and am not a fan of it. The handles came with the texture of 80 grit sandpaper (pretty sure I could have stuck the damn thing to the wall), the pocket clip makes it ride REALLY high in the pocket, the thumb disk isn't very comfortable, and it doesn't wave on a lot of my pants (edge of the pocket is too thick for it to catch). The aluminum pommel is also... really dumb. Screws threaded into aluminum is a very bad idea.

Screws threaded into aluminum is a very bad idea.

Why is that a bad idea? The motor in my car has an aluminum block, aluminum heads, and an aluminum manifold with an aluminum supercharger on top of it. Bolted and screwed together. These parts see way more stress than any pocket knife will.

Why is that a bad idea? The motor in my car has an aluminum block, aluminum heads, and an aluminum manifold with an aluminum supercharger on top of it. Bolted and screwed together. These parts see way more stress than any pocket knife will.

Much much much much smaller threads. I have seen way too many screws tapped into aluminum strip out with little effort compared to what it takes to strip out in steel or titanium. Aluminum doesn't have the same strength as steel or titanium.

Neither. Get a Spyderco or ZT with better steel. (You can get AUS8 for 25 USD in a RAT1 or Utitlitac II and for that money those knives are awesome.)

Back