cold steel catalog

i got mine in the mail today and i can honestly say this company is about hilarious!!! i have never seen a company more into mall ninja-ism. the entire catalog is nothing but mall ninja jive! spears, plastic knives, the brooklyn basher (wtf), shield crushers, etc, etc... c'mon. give me a break. i cant believe anyone takes this company seriously.... oh yea, they sent me a DVD too. LOL! and what about their claim..."world's sharpest and STRONGEST knives!" HAHA. this is just tooo funny.

Careful Recon, Dwight McLemore speaks pretty highly of Lynn Thompson, and his recommendations carry some weight.

well i suppose they'd more be copying the original vietnam hawk rather than the tactical one. I'd think if ATC was to be suing CS it would have something to do with the american tomahawk company sticker on some of their hawks. not sure specifics on that tho.

I don't know about the advent of mall ninja behavior as related to CS. I suspect such antics have been quietly going on for years, even before Lynn pushed the idea of every soul needing a tanto style blade, one that could be thrust into a car door sans damage. What CS has done is managed to sell a boat load of knives in world that is being increasingly dominated by the Chinese invasion. CS dvd production probably has a lot to do with better sales and bizarre claims...the knife crowd seemingly loves to see a demonstration. What better proof of quality is there? You don't see a dvd from Strider, Buck, Mission or Busse. Perhaps these makers don't see the need for a 'show', or simply rely on brand loyalty and reputation. I have the CS dvd products and usually have shared them with friends over some popcorn and a cold brew, and they are semi-entertaining if not just plain funny. Lynn seems to take himself too seriously. However, we do carefully watch the show and perhaps at some level, we've been hooked into thinking we actually need to purchase another CS product. Could Lynn be a marketing genius or does he just have a firm grasp on human psychology?

Like them, loathe them or love them, CS has a large market share of the cutlery world and will probably continue in this role even if their sales tactics/claims are a bit on the outlandish side. One thing you won't see: Lynn taking his newer Trailmaster and challenging Jerry Busse to a chop-off contest. Lynn is too busy making a new dvd.

It was a better world when CS made the original Trailmaster in 5/16 inch bowie configuration. Those vintage knives held a great edge, were well made and ultra functional for camping/hunting/survival. Even the sheath was top flight.

IIRC, CS actually owns the american tomahawk company trademark.

WTF???? :confused:

Well, dont get me wrong, CS seems to spend tons of $ on marketing and their magazines and DVDs. But cmon fellas, "WORLDS SHARPEST AND STRONGEST KNIVES"???? lets keep it in the road a bit. I have owned a few CS knives and none of them are outstanding in look or performance IMO. Any Benchmade/Spyderco folder astronomically outperforms and outlasts them. Just from my experience. (and Spyderco and benchmade BOTH dont use half the effort or $ on their catalogs, one would think from the looks of them)

Sorry if I offended someone with my humor towards the CS market and line of cutlery. Just was funny to me when I got their catalog today. Also, the steels they use dont seem to be up to par with other knife companies of reputable dignity.

But seriously, whats this CS owns ATC trademark? From the look of the Vietnam Tactical hawk in the CS mag, it looks like they compied ATC's VTAC, only changing the handle.

First of all, anyone who cares enough about knives to gab about them on the internet is a mall ninja. The only question is the matter of degree.

Second, advertising is hyperbole.

Third, IIRC, the ATC trademark was considered abandoned when CS picked it up.

Fourth, several companies have copied the Vietnam hawk pattern. Copying is part and parcel of the industry, always has been, despite all the hand waving from the more sanctimonious members of this forum. The result is more products, better products, at better prices. The sooner people get over that fact, the better.

Hi all, I don't post here often, but when I see a CS thread, I always have a peek, as I own 2 of their products - Trailmaster and SRK. I have a 5/16 Trailmaster and an old carbon steel SRK, both are really good knives. I've had a look at their new catalogue and web site, looks like they've got a good ad agency on the case!

I think I agree with most when they say it's mall ninja over the top wanking.

This aside, the 2 knives I have are actually very good. Not sure about all the other junk they have though.

There are more Cold Steel knives being carried by soldiers than almost any other brand. Over 50% of the military sheath orders I get are for Cold Steel blades. Why? Because they're relatively inexpensive, they work, and they're available.

I have a good buddy who's two years shy of 20 years in SF who's had an original Trailmaster on his gear for nearly the whole time. It's been in Afghanistan for the last 4 years, off and on.

Knock CS all you want. It's the one brand that's used more than most. Navy SOCOM called me a month ago looking for all the SRK's they could buy. Chances are if a soldier has a fixed blade, it's either a Cold Steel product or a KaBar. I carried both when I was in.

I could care less if they were mall ninja or not. I either like a product or I do not. The videos are entertaining to a degree and people around this forum may think they are cheesy but the fact is those videos sell a lot of knives for that company. I have several Cold Steel products and they all have preformed great. I have had other brands that work well also. I think demonstration is a good idea. If CS knives were as junk as every body says other companies should have no problems demostraiting how there blades are superior.

Damn it all, I know I'm new here but f***. First off I've done armed security for seven years now. Never at a mall but I have a friend that does security at a mall. He is no pussy or ninja by any means,ex- LEO. With all the gang bangers and bs that goes on in large roups of people like at malls, I don't want his job. BTW, this might sound like some mall ninja shit but, I've trained pro san soo fighters and boxers for over 15 years, I just stopped teaching kung fu a couple years ago. I now train alot of mma and judo, I'm no pussy, I'm just sick of people talking shit about the security field, I put my ass on the line everyday I go to work and so do alot of people who do mall security. Sorry for the rant but the mall ninja bs just gets to me.
On the cs issue I've always thought that they offered quality knives at good prices. I had an SRK for years and I beat the hell out of that thing. That was one tuff knife and I could get it to shave hair off my arm with a wet stone and a couple minutes. I would however like to see some American made knives from them.

But seriously, whats this CS owns ATC trademark? From the look of the Vietnam Tactical hawk in the CS mag, it looks like they compied ATC's VTAC, only changing the handle.

If I understand the story correctly, Lynn Thompson registered the "American Tomahawk Company" logo sometime around 1992, but never used it on any products until recently. I believe the ATC company came well after that time frame. The ATC guys went to Thompson to try and buy the rights to the name, but he wanted too much for them. So now that ATC has become well known in the marketplace, Thompson has started using his old logo on his website. That doesn't seem entirely ethical to me, but it is within his legal rights. Now as far as CS's hawk being a copy....sure it is! And so is ATC's VTAC! They are all copies of the original designed by Peter Lagana during the Vietnam era. As far as CS's quality...I have several of their products and have never had a complaint. I've been carrying Thompson's Talwar folder in Iraq every day for the last 7 months and counting.

Keith

If I understand the story correctly, Lynn Thompson registered the "American Tomahawk Company" logo sometime around 1992, but never used it on any products until recently. I believe the ATC company came well after that time frame. The ATC guys went to Thompson to try and buy the rights to the name, but he wanted too much for them. So now that ATC has become well known in the marketplace, Thompson has started using his old logo on his website. That doesn't seem entirely ethical to me, but it is within his legal rights. Now as far as CS's hawk being a copy....sure it is! And so is ATC's VTAC! They are all copies of the original designed by Peter Lagana during the Vietnam era. As far as CS's quality...I have several of their products and have never had a complaint. I've been carrying Thompson's Talwar folder in Iraq every day for the last 7 months and counting. As far as DVD's....I was surprised once to receive an order from CS that included a DVD on the use of the spear. This was excellent instructional DVD at least 45 minutes long that Thompson could have easily put on his website for $40. But it was sent free of charge along with the usual "proof" DVD.

Keith

Damn it all, I know I'm new here but f***. First off I've done armed security for seven years now. Never at a mall but I have a friend that does security at a mall. He is no pussy or ninja by any means,ex- LEO. With all the gang bangers and bs that goes on in large roups of people like at malls, I don't want his job. BTW, this might sound like some mall ninja shit but, I've trained pro san soo fighters and boxers for over 15 years, I just stopped teaching kung fu a couple years ago. I now train alot of mma and judo, I'm no pussy, I'm just sick of people talking shit about the security field, I put my ass on the line everyday I go to work and so do alot of people who do mall security. Sorry for the rant but the mall ninja bs just gets to me.
On the cs issue I've always thought that they offered quality knives at good prices. I had an SRK for years and I beat the hell out of that thing. That was one tuff knife and I could get it to shave hair off my arm with a wet stone and a couple minutes. I would however like to see some American made knives from them.

When I say "Mall Ninja" who I am talking about is the adult that goes to the mall and is trying to look like and act like he is a ninja "Napolean Dynomite" not the security people although I have met a few of those that are mall nijas too but I have met some actual cops that were also. :D

First of all, anyone who cares enough about knives to gab about them on the internet is a mall ninja. The only question is the matter of degree.

Hmmmmmm :yawn:

So, how should I put it? Redefine YOUR definition of GAB, so I can try to figure out if we are ALL "mall ninjas" according to your post. Shecky - this is a KNIFE FORUM. Do you honestly expect people not to "GAB" (still interested in what you mean there:jerkit: ) about knives on Blade Forums?

Do you honestly expect people not to "GAB" (still interested in what you mean there:jerkit: ) about knives on Blade Forums?

Only mall ninjas gab... on the internet. As I said, the only question is the matter of degree.

As far as Cold Steel's quality goes, I think it's first rate. I've 28yrs experience as a firefighter/paramedic/flight nurse. The oldest CS I have is about 15 years old and is still sharp. The only knives I've had to get resharpened were my two Benchmades. I've cut, rope, seatbelts, even firehose and the mastic around a winshield with them. Sure Thompson gives his stuff hype, any good salesman would, but his products are top rate. I also practice martail arts and the plastic escrimas are top knotch as well.

Ah, I love the drama that surrounds Cold Steel. When Ifirst starting getting interested in knife collecting and what have you, I thought CS was the company... Found out quick I was wrong, though. That said they do have some decent products (or so I've heard, as well as some crappy ones). Too bad Camilus and Carbon V are gone now, though.

In any case, I personally love their marketing. Its definately way over the top and doesn't make me inclined to buy from them; but is it ever entertaining!

Only mall ninjas gab... on the internet. As I said, the only question is the matter of degree.

My mistake in your post Shecky. My apologies sir.

As to the other people who are CS fans. More power to you and I am glad that you all have had good experiences with this company. I just think their marketing is rather funny.

Back