Review Cold Steel Code 4 Tanto

Because of the back lock, you won’t flip it open with a strong push of the thumb, but it’s not designed for that! It’s a knife that need both hands to be closed safely.

Ergos: 3.5/5
Backlock is not tacticool and needs both hands for closing, unless you don’t mind losing a digit or two.

The triad lock is ideal for one hand closing for me.

Depress the lock, the blade drops down. With a high grip, even if your hand is contacted, it is by the un sharpened ricasso.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy...

I find the lock to be very ergonomic and safe to close one handed.

Flips open with a wrist flicked if needed, or shoots open with a hard forward thumb press!!

Looking forward to receiving my code 4 next week . picked one up for 90 .usd . Got my first ever Cold Steel 2 weeks ago a Recon1 spear point. and liked it so much i decided to order the Code 4 also in spear point also.
Never considered the Tanto blade. For those of you who have that blade type what are your thoughts as to why you ordered that style blade and what do you see its use for as compared to a drop point or spear point?

Best
Dennis.

Tantos are great for turning into wharncliffes. ;)

Looking forward to receiving my code 4 next week . picked one up for 90 .usd . Got my first ever Cold Steel 2 weeks ago a Recon1 spear point. and liked it so much i decided to order the Code 4 also in spear point also.
Never considered the Tanto blade. For those of you who have that blade type what are your thoughts as to why you ordered that style blade and what do you see its use for as compared to a drop point or spear point?

Best
Dennis.
Why not just buy a wharney?

You're new here. You'll understand soon.

Best
Dennis.
Maybe search the threads that discuss the Tanto style point in great detail ?

Just briefly , on a Cold Steel you will get the "Americanized Tanto " with a more prominent secondary point and chisel / scrapper front side .

Especially on larger fixed blades , this has a fighting/combat knife purpose/ technique , called the "snap cut " .

This point is thick and strong for penetrating armor etc .

Also handy for utility purposes : chisel , wedge , prying , scrapping .

Not so great for many other uses .

Either much loved or hated , YMMV . ;)

The Code 4 is a great EDC.

I just had a colleague come up to me yesterday and show off his new pocket knife his wife got him for Christmas. It was a Code 4, and he was pretty stoked.

I actually geeked out over it more than he did.

I enjoy my clip point quite a bit, and find it to carry nice as it's so thin.

One of Cold Steel's more subdued offerings.

Thanks for the remarks on the code 4 With Tanto blade, going to have take a closer look at the tanto style blade, for hard use prying use, as i work around hardwood a lot, and i am always prying things.

The Code 4 is a fine EDC knife. It’s great when you need a knife to go with nicer clothes. Got the XHP version

While the scales don’t offer much traction, the ergos keep your hand locked in place. Never had a problem losing grip with this knife.

Thanks for the remarks on the code 4 With Tanto blade, going to have take a closer look at the tanto style blade, for hard use prying use, as i work around hardwood a lot, and i am always prying things.
Check out the Recon 1 and Voyager series too! They’re great work knives.

My wife’s grandmother gifted me a Code 4 clip point for Christmas, and I’m blown away. Always steered clear of them due to the reports of slippery handles, but am pleasantly surprised that it’s not a big issue for me.

It’s so nice with it’s hollow ground blade that I bought the spear point as well. I think I like the clip point marginally more, but they’re both fantastic with centered blades and are slim in the pocket.

My wife’s grandmother gifted me a Code 4 clip point for Christmas, and I’m blown away. Always steered clear of them due to the reports of slippery handles, but am pleasantly surprised that it’s not a big issue for me.

It’s so nice with it’s hollow ground blade that I bought the spear point as well. I think I like the clip point marginally more, but they’re both fantastic with centered blades and are slim in the pocket.
Wow, awesome grandma!

I always suggest Cold Steel to guys who arent full blown "Knife guys" decent steel for decent price so you don't feel bad tweaking them to fit yourself. Ive been meaning to pick up a folder from them. maybe ill get this.

I always suggest Cold Steel to guys who arent full blown "Knife guys" decent steel for decent price so you don't feel bad tweaking them to fit yourself. Ive been meaning to pick up a folder from them. maybe ill get this.
Interesting. For me, I’d go with one of the cheaper Spydercos or (lately) maybe a Civivi. A Spydie lockback or linerlock is fairly easy to operate. CS is a great choice too as long as the guy doesn’t mind the thousand pound Tri-Ad lock (kidding).

Back